Coach Sark Press Conference 10.17 - 11:00am LHN

BigOrange1

16 minutes ago, 89Horn said:

PK:  Got it boss.  How about our offense score a touchdown on every possession we have?  We make sure that our offense gets the ball last so that we score a touchdown to win the game, just in case.  Here’s the key, our special teams gets a blocked punt or fumble recovery on a punt or kick off to put our offense in a position to score a touchdown to give us a cushion for the win.  Because, let’s face it, I don’t have an answer on how to stop opposing offenses on third or fourth down.

How many points do you think we are giving up a game? How many do you think we gave up last year? We have made huge strides, with basically the same players. Outside of the tech game we have done an admirable job compared to last year. Forest for the fuckin trees on surly, I swear. 

Sark isn’t going to throw coaches or individual players under the bus when he’s in front of the mic. It’s always “I” need to do better, “we” need to do better. But if you don’t believe there was some serious ass chewing after watching #8 go 10/150+ and then run free and drop that pass??? You’ve never been in a coaches’ meeting the morning after a game.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

The come to jesus meeting was a response to a questions about rat poison, not 3rd down conversions.

His answer to 3rd down conversions was about how guys weren't playing the correct coverage several times, they jumped offsides on 2, and then got out of their rush lanes on the Dekkers scramble.

yeah, the site merged two separate posts i made into one post.

• Hook 'Em 1

If we can get to the point where the offense is consistently dominating and the defense struggles at times, that's a big step in the right direction in my book.  OU won a lot of games and conference championships with that formula.  Riley is playing the same script at USC and has turned that program around in year 1.  Sure, it would be great to dominate in all phases, but offensive production rules today's game and the defense will come around if we can start winning more games and pulling in better talent.  One big positive I see from Sark - he calls an offensive game with consideration to the defense (not using high tempo when the defense needs a rest, etc.).  I don't think he's ignoring the defense, but it's clearly not his top priority and that's fine with me (for now) if he can get this offense to an elite level.   

I was far more concerned with the long TD and their dude dropping that pass wide open right before the fumble than us blowing all the third downs. We don't give up big plays and I can tolerate the long drives we give up. Making them run more plays at least gives them more chances to fuck up.

But if we are going to do that shit don't leave their dude wide open.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Again, I think Sark is spending too much time OCing and not enough time HCing. It's stupid - he already has all the rep as O Genius anyone could need. Either make Milwee OC or find someone else whom you want to mentor into OCness  and go that way... but either way, start paying some fucking attention to the DC and his role. Your job is to tell the DC what you want the D to do. As an O guy, you let the DC do it. If he can't, or won't, shitcan his ass and find someone who can and will.

I was really hopeful that Patterson would be teaching PK, but that doesn't appear to be working. Maybe the Bama and 0U games had a lot of Patterson D-work - sure seemed like - but Tech and ISU, not so much. 

I agree with those who believe Patterson doesn't want the job, but at this point, I think I'd ask him to interim and find the right guy while he's at it. Maybe this is on Del Conte to step in and teach the HC how to CEO.

Interesting thing to consider.  Perhaps the D strategically is designed to do what Sark, the offensive minded coach wants it to do.  

This is all hypothetical but hear me out.  You're Sark, your mantra is "All gas, no brakes". I have always taken that to mean that he believes that with his system on O with the right players in place they are going to score, then score again, then score again...etc and oftentimes do that scoring rather quickly.  IF you are executing that and pouring on points there is nothing more excruciating than for the other team to know that there are not big plays to be had.  They are going to have to grind down the field, convert 3rd downs, convert 4th downs slow slow slow, and while they may score here and there the other team is going to just keep lighting up the pinball machine.

Overall that strategically "makes sense".  The problems come in when the pinball machine goes on tilt and as a coach you need to expect that is going to happen at times and expect that tactically your DC and defense will adjust.    

I think the "system" is what Sark wants...to your point he needs to be paying more attention to what Plan B is when the offensive side of the ball hits the brakes.

That's dumb. All gas no brakes would mean you want the ball back as quickly as possible. More possessions, more scores, more demoralizing the other guy. The defense is just not great front to back. DT is pretty stout but no edge rusher and no lockdown corner or ball hawk safety. Several Cedric Griffin type dudes though -- solid in coverage and consistent hitters, tacklers.

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Again, I think Sark is spending too much time OCing and not enough time HCing. It's stupid - he already has all the rep as O Genius anyone could need. Either make Milwee OC or find someone else whom you want to mentor into OCness  and go that way... but either way, start paying some fucking attention to the DC and his role. Your job is to tell the DC what you want the D to do. As an O guy, you let the DC do it. If he can't, or won't, shitcan his ass and find someone who can and will.

I'm actually the opposite mindset. I think Sark should be spending basically all his time doing what he's actually good at - OC and QBs. There's still plenty of work to be done on that side (we only scored 24 points this game). If he could squeeze an extra few points per game out of the O, we'd be undefeated. I have more confidence in him doing that than helping the D. Let Patterson and PK figure out that side. 

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Interesting thing to consider.  Perhaps the D strategically is designed to do what Sark, the offensive minded coach wants it to do.  

This is all hypothetical but hear me out.  You're Sark, your mantra is "All gas, no brakes". I have always taken that to mean that he believes that with his system on O with the right players in place they are going to score, then score again, then score again...etc and oftentimes do that scoring rather quickly.  IF you are executing that and pouring on points there is nothing more excruciating than for the other team to know that there are not big plays to be had.  They are going to have to grind down the field, convert 3rd downs, convert 4th downs slow slow slow, and while they may score here and there the other team is going to just keep lighting up the pinball machine.

Overall that strategically "makes sense".  The problems come in when the pinball machine goes on tilt and as a coach you need to expect that is going to happen at times and expect that tactically your DC and defense will adjust.    

I think the "system" is what Sark wants...to your point he needs to be paying more attention to what Plan B is when the offensive side of the ball hits the brakes.

I don't know what Associate Head Coach means but it sounds awfully like someone that would manage the minutia of the game for Sark while he focuses on play calls and adjustments and Banks can yell in his ear about timeouts,  defense defiencies, ect. 

Meant to quote Texaslong

Edited by Butch Had Not

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I feel like we have not received enough monkey content this season.  What’s the point of having  a coach with a former stripper girlfriend with a pet monkey if we don’t get to see the monkey on a consistent basis?  I get that our TE room is in great shape, we’re blocking punts, and he’s an elite recruiter, but I need more monkey.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I don't know what Associate Head Coach means but it sounds awfully like someone that would manage the minutia of the game for Sark while he focuses on play calls and adjustments and Banks can yell in his ear about timeouts,  defense defiencies, ect. 

Meant to quote Texaslong

It sounds like an excuse to give someone a higher salary because that's what it is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Deej said:

Then Sark needs to stop saying stupid shit like that .  

Well, Sark had to give himself a bit of a pass last year by saying "these guys kinda suck and have a really fucked up attitude" and "I need a new QB" and some other stuff at least partially true.  And he pretty much went out and fixed his problems and gave the kids another year in the system and stuff is starting to click.

No such luck with PK, so the scales may be falling from Sark's eyes.

A seemingly unlikely scenario, but a standout performance against OSU will have me believing there may be truth to GP focusing on select games during the season.  Bama, OU, OSU?    

If staff felt they could handle UTSA, Tech, ISU types and GP focusing on the more high powered offenses?  Bit 'em in the ass against TTU and nearly ISU if so, but could help explain the up and down nature of the defense.   Now before y'all scream, "OU had a TE playing QB" this theoretical strategy would have been launched when we all thought Gabriel would be playing.   So, if we have a great defensive game, especially on the back end, against OSU, I'm going to believe GP spent 2 weeks game planning for Gundy and  left ISU to PK. 

• Hook 'Em 1