Texas roster 2018

Machinator

28 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yeah, too early to say, though we can count on us redshirting most if not all of the linemen and QBs.

I'd say it safe to call them at this point, plis the LBs not named Ossai.  It'll be nice to start actually building depth.

Herman said in the press conference today that they think they will have Malcolm Roach available for this weekends game.  Injury must not have been as bad as originally feared.  A struggling defense might get a much-needed boost.

I was hopeful that we would be able to RS Roach as he recovered from injury - but I think we need him more for the finish to this season than whatever benefit he/we might have gotten next season from a RS.

I just rewatched the first half. Corndog didn't throw to Cook once on that beatdown in the 1st quarter. It was all Boyce, Locke, and Jones (uncharacteristically) fucking up. Not as concerned about next year as I originally was if Cook has to be our lockdown corner next season. #2 CB should be a battle between Boyce and Jalen Green, and one of them better show out in training camp. Thank god Locke is gone, but I still hope we will have a senior in the secondary, so please come back Jones.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Thx..... appreciate the chart each week.

No doubt, they are trying to protect the Redshirts for the trenches.... OL/DL

Surprised Ossai has already used up his Redshirt chance this Season....

Edited by LTtxfan

I just rewatched the first half. Corndog didn't throw to Cook once on that beatdown in the 1st quarter. It was all Boyce, Locke, and Jones (uncharacteristically) fucking up. Not as concerned about next year as I originally was if Cook has to be our lockdown corner next season. #2 CB should be a battle between Boyce and Jalen Green, and one of them better show out in training camp. Thank god Locke is gone, but I still hope we will have a senior in the secondary, so please come back Jones.

Jones being out of position in coverage is not uncharacteristic. As good as he is in run support, where he appears to be the only DB to understand angles, he consistently misplays receivers in the open field. I would be surprised if he is considering leaving. Deshon Elliot went in the fifth round, IIRC, and BJ isn't coming out with that type of acclaim. He needs to show a season of not looking fucking lost when the opponent throws downfield to make himself some money.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Jones being out of position in coverage is not uncharacteristic. As good as he is in run support, where he appears to be the only DB to understand angles, he consistently misplays receivers in the open field. I would be surprised if he is considering leaving. Deshon Elliot went in the fifth round, IIRC, and BJ isn't coming out with that type of acclaim. He needs to show a season of not looking fucking lost when the opponent throws downfield to make himself some money.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is spot on. Jones is not good in pass defense, when he is in space. Him coming out would be a huge mistake, as it wouldn't be surprising to me if he went undrafted. His measurables are good, but not off the charts, and he is a liability in pass defense, at a position that must play pass defense. Elliott was effective against the run, and far superior in coverage, and as previously stated, he was a 5th rounder.

On 10/31/2018 at 4:35 PM, Machinator said:

Here's the player tracker through OSU. It only lists those who have not already redshirted. Players with the red "NO RS" designation have played in at least five games and thus cannot redshirt this season.

image.pngimage.png

Think Ojomo, Chisholm & Coburn played today against West Virginia

Edited by LTtxfan

39 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

What's the deal with Toniel Carter? I'm guessing Herman's giving him a redshirt so he gets an extra year wherever he transfers. That he hasn't played in a single game is weird

It is odd that Toneil hasn't been able to earn a few carries , but not having any blowout games this Season has made it more difficult for him to get on the field. 

Gonna be interesting to see where he and Porter transfer to.....

Edited by LTtxfan

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

It is odd that Toneil hasn't been able to earn a few carries , but not having any blowout games this Season has made it more difficult for him to get on the field. 

Gonna be interesting to see where he and Porter transfer to.....

I was high on Carter last year. I don't follow a lot of the gossip but it sounds like he's had some off the field issues. Shame. I was excited to see him play more.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Jones at nickel would be phenomenal for run support but I'm not sure about his coverage ability.

I wonder if BJ Foster will be cross-trained at nickel for next season.

Right, setting an edge against the run has been killing them in all their losses more than defending the pass.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:08 AM, Machinator said:

Jones at nickel would be phenomenal for run support but I'm not sure about his coverage ability.

I wonder if BJ Foster will be cross-trained at nickel for next season.

I'd like to see something like

FC Thompson (not sure he's physical enough for nickle)

Nickle Foster

FS Sterns

SS Jones

BC Cook 

If Green comes along then I'd work him in for Boundary and Cook for field. 

ETA- I like the idea of putting Jones at joker for the run support and Brown at SS (mostly for experience) in dime. 

Edited by BigHorn'13

On 11/8/2018 at 9:05 AM, Llogg said:

I'd like to see Jones at nickel with somebody with more range over the top.

Jones has the most range at safety on the team. He just can't play the ball in the air. Jamison has the athleticism to play in the nickel. I just can't stand to see Locke whiff on tackles in space anymore.

Herman "Adds they plan to redshirt Jamari Chisholm and John Burt. "

Wonder what Collin & LJH  end up deciding to do on NFL??  Roster spots for 2019 Season are gonna be interesting to watch unfold...... Probably will see a few players be "suggested" to leave.  

"In the game notes, juniors Chase Moore, Edward Pequeno, Michael David Poujol, and Cameron Townsend are in the list of players that will be honored before the game Saturday."

Is Cameron the only scholarship player from above list of Junior's??

On 10/29/2018 at 12:39 PM, RabidM said:

They need to give hager's job to roach. Maybe Roach can maintain his responsibilities and not go running around like a chicken with his head cut off.

Hager's a pass rusher by nature and by design. Guys like him try to get to the QB but all their movement creates holes to run through. 
He's not a good anchor for a D line.