2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

45 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Such a horrible clubhouse and culture …

Correa taking that toxic culture to Minnesota (from an article in the WSJ today):

“He was very clear with our coaches and front office as to areas of improvement for us pertaining to advanced scouting and game preparation,” said Levine. “He was very direct with some of our players in terms of his perception of them from across the diamond and
ways that they could improve to
help the team win the championship.
This was before his first workout last year.”

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Correa taking that toxic culture to Minnesota (from an article in the WSJ today):

“He was very clear with our coaches and front office as to areas of improvement for us pertaining to advanced scouting and game preparation,” said Levine. “He was very direct with some of our players in terms of his perception of them from across the diamond and
ways that they could improve to
help the team win the championship.
This was before his first workout last year.”

Future head coach 

27 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I agree with this 

We could actually hit our best hitter at #2 which is where you are supposed to hit your best hitter and hit Yordan there, but if we are arguing over whether we suboptimally hit out 6th best hitter there or our 7th best hitter there yay for choosing the 6th best I guess?  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I mean, Brantley at 2 is fine (if less than ideal) but basing the decision on one guy having been good for longer than another guy is…well y’all know what it is. 

The only thing that gets me through is that his buffoonish decisions at war with logic and math can’t lose us more than a couple games and he’s not allowed to do silly shit during the playoffs, so…. whatever. But yeah. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I mean, Brantley at 2 is fine (if less than ideal) but basing the decision on one guy having been good for longer than another guy is…well y’all know what it is. 

You don’t think service time is the best way to make out a lineup? Technically you should flip Altuve and Brantley, but they’d be 1-2, so it’s close.

I’m interested in seeing new #3 hitter Martin Maldonado in particular.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

this information is very valuable, especially to those in the gambling community, most notably those who like a good 1st 5 runline bet.  check change go ahead.

so pos rep, and please let me know if you stumble across this stuff for any other teams.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The only thing that gets me through is that his buffoonish decisions at war with logic and math can’t lose us more than a couple games and he’s not allowed to do silly shit during the playoffs, so…. whatever. But yeah. 

I'll argue with you for fun. I'll just ignore the Yordan hitting 2 because we both know it's not going to happen. Regarding Brantley over Pena I like it. Pena still needs time to adjust to how he's being pitched. I think that's easier hitting lower in the lineup. I also just like having Brantley in the top half of the lineup with the good at bats he takes every time he's up. Hopefully he has less double plays without the shift.

7 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

I'll argue with you for fun. I'll just ignore the Yordan hitting 2 because we both know it's not going to happen. Regarding Brantley over Pena I like it. Pena still needs time to adjust to how he's being pitched. I think that's easier hitting lower in the lineup. I also just like having Brantley in the top half of the lineup with the good at bats he takes every time he's up. Hopefully he has less double plays without the shift.

No I agree- if your only 2 options are Brantley or Peña at 2 then give me Brantley unless he’s even more washed than I think he is, or unless Peña hits like an All Star. 
But the better option would be anyone but Chas and Maldy than those 2. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

No I agree- if your only 2 options are Brantley or Peña at 2 then give me Brantley unless he’s even more washed than I think he is, or unless Peña hits like an All Star. 
But the better option would be anyone but Chas and Maldy than those 2. 

if pena is hitting like an all-star out of the 7 hole, i don't think you'll hear much complaining about batting order.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm OK with not just handing the job to Chas. I'm not OK with Jake being his primary competition. I think Chas played OK in the postseason. Obviously the Jordan catch was huge. But I'm not sure he has the bat to be an everyday player. Defense should be fine. Hopefully Gilbert is ready June 2024. 

Whitley has earned a spot start. I think as someone posted upthread, there are so many off days in March that they really don't need a 6th starter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm OK with not just handing the job to Chas. I'm not OK with Jake being his primary competition. I think Chas played OK in the postseason. Obviously the Jordan catch was huge. But I'm not sure he has the bat to be an everyday player. Defense should be fine. Hopefully Gilbert is ready June 2024. 

I just don’t understand this take, especially because it’s pretty common. He’s been an above average bat both seasons he’s been up-last year his wRC+ was 114. Compare that to other CFs, and he’s comfortably a top 10 player at the position if he played all his games there. 

• Hook 'Em 6

35 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I just don’t understand this take, especially because it’s pretty common. He’s been an above average bat both seasons he’s been up-last year his wRC+ was 114. Compare that to other CFs, and he’s comfortably a top 10 player at the position if he played all his games there. 

People don’t understand above average. It’s awesome or awful. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Chas is everything you could possibly want in an 8th best fielding player.  I simply do not get how people think we can just randomly upgrade CF.  There aren't many teams that can say their 8th best player in the lineup has a wRC+ like that

I agree that Springer absolutely spoiled people but damn. Chas has performed offensively pretty damn especially considering being yanked around all over the place and in and out of the lineup.  

They pulled off thier bracket championship win today. Lilshep brought the bat. Hit .over .400 on weekend. Today came in with bases loaded championship game induced a ground out. We tied the game in bottom of inning. In top of last inning he struck out first 2 kids, next hitter was thrown out stealing (reached on E5). We won on walk off wild pitch in bottom of inning. e639cf130ae590bd9bf9f11ba278b0a6.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6

8 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

They pulled off thier bracket championship win today. Lilshep brought the bat. Hit .over .400 on weekend. Today came in with bases loaded championship game induced a ground out. We tied the game in bottom of inning. In top of last inning he struck out first 2 kids, next hitter was thrown out stealing (reached on E5). We won on walk off wild pitch in bottom of inning. e639cf130ae590bd9bf9f11ba278b0a6.jpg

How old is he?