2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

10 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

1. Nolan (by a lot)

2. Alou

3. Yuli

4. Brantley 

This is correct, but the 2,3,4 spots are really close to each other.  Alou was so damn underrated as a player. 

Pretty amazing just how few great FAs the Astros have signed in 60 years.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Are we talking best value?  Most cumulative impact?  Most immediate impact?  I would nominate Charlie Morton.  He put up probably $60M worth of value in his 2 seasons and I don’t think the stros win that WS without him.

Good one. I forgot about him bc he wasn’t even an all star and wasn’t here for all that long but totally to both. 

1 hour ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

the astros traded for moises alou.

I thought that too, but was assuming I mis-remembered, like Andy Pettite.  

The trades the Astros have made have been usually pretty solid, Joe Morgan and Kenny Lofton not withstanding.

Realized we missed Pettite and Jeff Kent.  Both pretty damn good signings.  Same for Roger.  Hmmm, makes me rethink the list.  Nolan is still 1 though 

• Hook 'Em 1

Finished that fucker's book last night (checked out from library). It's a good read full of juicy details behind the scenes but his entire anti-Astro thesis was permanently neutered when Yordan turned the game upside down that Saturday night in November. 

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

maton came in for a scoreless inning with a k.  i know we give him a lot of shit, and much of it is earned, but is there a better rp6/rp7 on any team in mlb?

i trust pressly, abreu, stanek, montero, neris more than him.  maybe seth martinez too.  bullpen is stacked.

You should trust Seth Martinez more against RHH at least. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Much better effort with the IG stuff than he had with the bat.  If Altuve had a night like he did he would be in the batting cages right after the game was over. 

I think Altuve celebrated the world series after batting .190 in the playoffs