2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

7 hours ago, WBT said:

I'm not following you?  This team would have been better with Correa on it, even if he opted out after this year.

You don't have proof of that.  Not at all.

They took a risk in going with Pena.  It would take some bigtime convincing to say they made the wrong choice for one season or the immediate future, either way.

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not instead of. In addition to. 

yeah, so tie up that payroll and have the WSMVP as a utility guy...

They get credit for a move that paid off on multiple levels, IMHO.  But wth do I know?

50 minutes ago, slorch said:

yeah, so tie up that payroll and have the WSMVP as a utility guy...

They get credit for a move that paid off on multiple levels, IMHO.  But wth do I know?

It sure did pay off. When I read that wasn’t click driving that train I was shocked. Y’all should read the off-season thread on the astros forum on clutch fans. Just Nook’s stuff. It’s fascinating. 

33 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Only issue I have with the article is that it appears the Astros still are interested in Contreras. 

That said, it's clear Click couldn't break with the culture of Tampa once he got to Houston. 

I get it that Click and Crane might have disagreed on some important issues, what leadership team doesn't?  The places where he was right tended to carry the mistakes.

It's hard as fuck to argue with the results and potential for future success for the Astros.

IDGAF either way.  It just seems as if they are attempting to somehow mold & shape public opinion based on said decisions.  Just say y'all fucking hated each other.

22 hours ago, WBT said:

I'm in complete agreement with Wulaw here.  We had more pitching than we needed this postseason.  We could have gotten by fine without 2 of Abreu, Neris, Montero, and Stanek.  We had Urquidy, Garcia, and Brown mostly sitting on their hands all playoffs when they could have been ueed as multi-inning weapons like Peacock, McHugh, and Morton were in 2017.  

Philosophically, one inning relievers are the most fungible with the most year to year variability of any position.  Spending so much money on them doesn't make sense.

Yet everybody is going to give relievers ridiculous deals this off-season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, runthebone said:

I will say that for as great a job as Luhnow did, the bullpen was dogshit in the playoffs.

He never valued the need for a good bullpen. Click coming from Tampa where they churn out good bullpens every fucking year changed the mindset. Pretty much the only thing he did.

On another note, Wulaw also keeps complaining about the Odorizzi signing without the context of the thought they had just lost Framber for a good portion of the season. He's acting like that was Click's main off-season acquisition, instead of the fact of it being a mid-spring training signing based on bad news they had just received.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

He never valued the need for a good bullpen. Click coming from Tampa where they churn out good bullpens every fucking year changed the mindset. Pretty much the only thing he did.

On another note, Wulaw also keeps complaining about the Odorizzi signing without the context of the thought they had just lost Framber for a good portion of the season. He's acting like that was Click's main off-season acquisition, instead of the fact of it being a mid-spring training signing based on bad news they had just received.

I know the context. I said it was a dogshit terrible idea from the word go, that we had enough pitching with how good the team was and how bad the division was and if we didn’t we could get you know, quality people at the deadline. 
It was bullshit then and it was bullshit now and should always have been roundly mocked and ridiculed. It was like adding Ben Davis from the portal. Pointless. At least that was only a s hollow and not 10M per. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Starling Marte was #1 or 2 (along with Simien) on my FA list last year. Glad to hear Crane was on that. LOL on Click slow walking his bosses orders and betting his career on Jake Meyers.  Fuck that moron. I always suspected he was a dipshit, I apparently overestimated his sense when I suspected he had as much as God gabe a goose. Apparently it’s less than that. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I know the context. I said it was a dogshit terrible idea from the word go, that we had enough pitching with how good the team was and how bad the division was and if we didn’t we could get you know, quality people at the deadline. 
It was bullshit then and it was bullshit now and should always have been roundly mocked and ridiculed. It was like adding Ben Davis from the portal. Pointless. At least that was only a s hollow and not 10M per. 

I'm sorry, Ben Davis beat the shit out of Derek Kerstetter for slacking off. That was well worth the addition from the portal, because a dude that had come from a winning program showed up and wouldn't accept shitty effort from a "team leader."

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

dumping odo this past season, purged any ill will about that signing. great trade / money move by click 

Great trade?  He got us a piece of shit in return and we then paid him $1M to fuck off instead of $8M. Let’s not Suck his dick for trading our #7 starter for an absurdly overpriced loogy in an era where you have to face 3 hitters. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Starling Marte was #1 or 2 (along with Simien) on my FA list last year. Glad to hear Crane was on that. LOL on Click slow walking his bosses orders and betting his career on Jake Meyers.  Fuck that moron. I always suspected he was a dipshit, I apparently overestimated his sense when I suspected he had as much as God gabe a goose. Apparently it’s less than that. 

Lulz. You are charter member of the Jake Meyers surly fanboi club.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz. You are charter member of the Jake Meyers surly fanboi club.

No. I said he was probably going to be pretty good and they should give him a month before trading for someone if he sucked. Then he sucked and I said go get someone.  But I was very clear that the astros should trade Brantley and sign 2 of Bryant, Simien and Marte. 

11 hours ago, slorch said:

I get it that Click and Crane might have disagreed on some important issues, what leadership team doesn't?  The places where he was right tended to carry the mistakes.

It's hard as fuck to argue with the results and potential for future success for the Astros.

IDGAF either way.  It just seems as if they are attempting to somehow mold & shape public opinion based on said decisions.  Just say y'all fucking hated each other.

this is not a great mystery. when an owner and a gm don’t see eye to eye, one of them usually gets fired. and it’s usually not the owner. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Montero deal is not bad. A good reliever on a three year deal who could be a closer for some teams is a great trade piece. 

yeah i don't get all the hand wringing. The reliever market is hot this offseason and a lot of them are going to get paid. 

I also don't expect us to re-sign JV. Rumor is he wants to beat Scherzer's average salary and might want to see if someone will pay him $50 million per. We ain't doing that.

• Drool 1

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

disagree. you can never have too much pitching IMHO. and we'll have plenty of space to address other areas.

We had 4 legitimately awesome arms spend a month masterbating in the bullpen area as busy as the Maytag repairman while we had our merry band of fucksticks at DH go a combined 2 for 183 over the course of the playoffs. Perhaps, just perhaps the mix between pitching and hitting could use a wee bit of reimagining. 

No team ever gets through a season starting only 5 guys, it’s true, but it’s also not necessary to have Hunter Brown as your 7th starter

hope your last sentence is right. IF we address all the other needs we address all the other needs and this works. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

hope your last sentence is right. IF we address all the other needs we address all the other needs and this works. 

Yeah we're about to find out if it was really Click that was holding things back.

We have the space to take care of other needs - but will we? Kind of want to have a GM in place before we make any more big decisions but I don't sign the checks.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Montero deal is not bad. A good reliever on a three year deal who could be a closer for some teams is a great trade piece. 

So the value in signing that player is that you might be able to turn him into other assets. Instead of, you know, not signing him and using that money to acquire other assets. You've successfully made the argument that the signing might be pointless instead of bad. 

• Hook 'Em 1

‘Merry band of fucksticks’ is exactly why I read this board.

LOLed while reading and coworkers ask what’s up. Oh nothing you wouldn’t find it interesting…

Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We had 4 legitimately awesome arms spend a month masterbating in the bullpen area as busy as the Maytag repairman while we had our merry band of fucksticks at DH go a combined 2 for 183 over the course of the playoffs. Perhaps, just perhaps the mix between pitching and hitting could use a wee bit of reimagining. 

No team ever gets through a season starting only 5 guys, it’s true, but it’s also not necessary to have Hunter Brown as your 7th starter

He was masturbating!

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Takes 162 games to get to the playoffs