2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

3 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

It’s a consistent theme in the awards this year. Did Showalter win in NY because he’s a better manager than Snitker? Obviously not, the Braves won the fucking division. He won because what preceded him has been such a shitshow that he looks like a genius in comparison. Not how it’s supposed to work. 

People dunked on Dusty for never winning a world series yet here's Buck with ZERO playoff series wins in 21 years. 

24 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

It’s a consistent theme in the awards this year. Did Showalter win in NY because he’s a better manager than Snitker? Obviously not, the Braves won the fucking division. He won because what preceded him has been such a shitshow that he looks like a genius in comparison. Not how it’s supposed to work. 

It’s a consistent theme in the awards every year.

Go look up who won AL manager of the year the first time we won the World Series

(fyi, feels good to say that—“the first time”, e.g. more than one)

Spoiler

Paul Molitor and the Twins… who improved on their 2016 win total by TWENTY-SIX games to finish with a whopping…..85 wins in 2017.

Edited by UTexasFight

5 hours ago, The Dog said:

People dunked on Dusty for never winning a world series yet here's Buck with ZERO playoff series wins in 21 years. 

Showalter was a dick to me when I went in the Nashville Sounds’ clubhouse in 1979. I was nine years old, looking for autographs. And he flat out told me no and glared at me like Mean Joe Greene did to that kid in the beginning of that Coke commercial, only Showalter did not suddenly soften and toss me his game worn jersey. 

Tl;dr Buck Showalter was a dick to me 45 years ago and probably should be banned for life like Pete Rose.

I mean, dude was about 30 and a .280-hitting 1b/DH with warning track power at best sitting there big-timing little kids. 

And haha that Sounds team had two future MVPs in Mattingly and Willie McGee, neither of whom were dicks.

As for Buck, his name should be xxxxAlter because he never made the Show, not for the Yanks or anyone else. And he’s from a Florida panhandle shithole that isn’t even on the beach. 

Tl;dr II: Showalter ain’t shit. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Get that open star Astros logo bullshit chains away from our players. Drayton McLane and his open star logo, Junction Jack and the pinstripe jerseys can all go to hell. Only rock the H-star logo. Drayton’s shit is associated with playoff losses not championships.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Showalter was a dick to me when I went in the Nashville Sounds’ clubhouse in 1979. I was nine years old, looking for autographs. And he flat out told me no and glared at me like Mean Joe Greene did to that kid in the beginning of that Coke commercial, only Showalter did not suddenly soften and toss me his game worn jersey. 

Tl;dr Buck Showalter was a dick to me 45 years ago and probably should be banned for life like Pete Rose.

I mean, dude was about 30 and a .280-hitting 1b/DH with warning track power at best sitting there big-timing little kids. 

And haha that Sounds team had two future MVPs in Mattingly and Willie McGee, neither of whom were dicks.

As for Buck, his name should be xxxxAlter because he never made the Show, not for the Yanks or anyone else. And he’s from a Florida panhandle shithole that isn’t even on the beach. 

Tl;dr II: Showalter ain’t shit. 

And that's fair. He's also a douche to have the umps check Musgrove for a foreign substance to distract from having the Mets' collective britches yanked down in the playoffs. A thoroughly unlikeable guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

And that's fair. He's also a douche to have the umps check Musgrove for a foreign substance to distract from having the Mets' collective britches yanked down in the playoffs. A thoroughly unlikeable guy. 

Counterpoint - he was open-minded enough to take feedback he received related to uniform fabric and make the necessary recommendations in an effort to ensure the comfort his players. He can’t be that unlikable.

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

They canceled Elton John tickets in early October.  Weren't doing refunds until 11/18

It was cancelled 10/17. I don’t really count that as “early October” but yeah, a month gap is a bit excessive.

pretty sweet gig to hold on to all that money for that long in today’s interest rate environment.