2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

2023 projections:
Abreu: .276/.349/.450, wOBA .348
Altuve: .274/.351/.460, wOBA .352

Imagine adding a hitter of Altuve’s caliber to last seasons lineup.

Nimmo, Brantley, Conforto, Benintendi, Gallo, Profar, and Bellinger are the lefty OF bats that make the most sense for Houston’s next move. Adam Frazier and Robbie Grossman are lesser dark horse options. Mullins, Reynolds, Varsho, Yaz, Corbin Carroll, Alek Thomas, Happ, Santander, Cavan Biggio, Jake McCarthy, Josh Lowe, Vidal Brujan, Austin Meadows, Max Kepler, Trevor Larnach, Gavin Sheets, and Jake Fraley representpotentially available lefty OF trade options.

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

What’s everyone think the contract will be. Twitter verse seems to think it’s a 3 year deal. $55m-60?

That would be steeper than I and EVERYONE had it.  I had 3/48 in mind. I saw people have it as low as 3/39 & 3/42 (real people, not internet assholes like us).  I will stick with 3/48- 3/60 would kind of surprise me, but whatever, that is backup catcher money. If Crane can't find that in the couch cushion then I would suggest he could find it by firing Phil Maton into the face of the sun.  That last sentence was purely part of the bit for @LCHorn, who is here for the continued threats of violence toward Phil Maton.  

Now, follow this signing up with Conforto and Contreras and I will never ask for anything again (at least until the trade deadline next year).  I think Brantley would be a bad idea, but if they want to bring Brantley back now I'm much less opposed to it than I would have been without this signing. 

Also- we don't really need Contreras per se, but that would be the most incredible lineup flex ever.  Imagine (I'm just going to do this sabermaticaly correctly- yall can put people wherever you want:

Altuve (4), Alvarez (DH), Bregman (5), Tucker (9), Abreu (3), Contreras (2), Conforto (7), Pena (6), Chas (9).  Bench- Maldy, Meyers, Hensley, Dubon

Rotation: Framber/Javier/LMJ/Garcia/Urquidy/Brown, Pen:  Presley, Abreu, Montero, Neris, Stanek, Martinez, Blake Taylor.  I think that would be the greatest team ever assembled.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That would be steeper than I and EVERYONE had it.  I had 3/48 in mind. I saw people have it as low as 3/39 & 3/42 (real people, not internet assholes like us)

That is not true. I saw plenty of projections with an AAV in the $20M range. Most did expect 2, not 3, years. 

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

That is not true. I saw plenty of projections with an AAV in the $20M range. Most did expect 2, not 3, years. 

To be fair I didn't even look at those- I was looking more at the total value.  I would have glossed over 2/38 or something like that.  

Either way, I think it's a good deal and am happy. 

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

Still may try to keep Yuli. This was Cranes target on off-season. Lot going on behind the curtain

I'd let Yuli walk unless he wants to come back really cheap.  He does not offer the defensively flexibility I would want in a utility guy.  Spend the money elsewhere.  Like a decent OFer.

1 hour ago, APMP said:

If this is it for Pina in Houston, then tip of the cap to a true gamer. In his prime, he was one of the best in the world. Unfortunately, we never got to see that third baseman hitting machine in MLB, though you could see flashes of it in Houston. And his AL batting title at the ripe old age of 37 was pretty sweet.

wouldn’t be shocked if we end up retiring his number 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1