2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

Scrubb is good people. He was on this collectors app called Whatnot as a buyer first and then started selling. Of course everyone on there hates the astros so he would always talk shit and flash his AL champs ring lmao. I was like one of 5 Astros fans on the whole app so it was funny as hell how he would stir the pot.

• Haha 3

This may have already been known, but I wasn't aware (I stay out of this thread for the playoffs for the most part)-  

I was checking out the schedule and they have us playing Venezuela on March 8th.  I guess it is Venezuela's warm up game because the WBC starts the 11th.  So I guess Omar Lopez and Altuve will be against us that day.  

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Takes 162 games to get to the playoffs 

Sure. And if Bielak has to have 4 spot starts or god forbid we have to go to a 5 man rotation of 3 all stars and two above average dudes I bet we can navigate murders row of Oakland, Texas and Anaheim to somehow squeak into the checks notes… top 7 I’m the AL and qualify for a playoff spot. Especially if we have a lineup where Abreu, and Conforto or something like that joins our other 5 studs and then we have Chas and Maldy hitting 8/9. 

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Also keep in mind that Framber, Tucker, and Javier are in their first year of Arbitration and are in line for significant raises.

Framber is actually in his second year of arbitration where the price starts to really jump. He was a super 2 guy so he goes through arbitration 4 times so we still have club control for 3 more years. 
my guess is 10M for Framber, 6M for Tucker and 3.5M for Javier. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Framber is actually in his second year of arbitration where the price starts to really jump. He was a super 2 guy so he goes through arbitration 4 times so we still have club control for 3 more years. 
my guess is 10M for Framber, 6M for Tucker and 3.5M for Javier. 

that's what spotrac has but I suspect both Tuck and Javier get more. 

5 minutes ago, The Dog said:

that's what spotrac has but I suspect both Tuck and Javier get more. 

Hah. Didn’t even research it- just kind of going by feel. I wouldn’t be shocked if Tucker threw out a really big number. 
Javier just doesn’t have a ton of starts, IP or black ink stuff with awards and the like.  That’s not a knock on him, the arbitration process just sort of sucks and isn’t about paying the best guy but rather more about hunting matching stats. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

This may have already been known, but I wasn't aware (I stay out of this thread for the playoffs for the most part)-  

I was checking out the schedule and they have us playing Venezuela on March 8th.  I guess it is Venezuela's warm up game because the WBC starts the 11th.  So I guess Omar Lopez and Altuve will be against us that day.  

FheaThsXwAAhOFA?format=png&name=medium

Funny.

I think Pena's biggest hurdle is taking walks. He's at like 4%, and league average is probably 8-9%. If he gets there, coupled with the cutting down of this 25% K rate as he gets better at recognizing offspeed out of the zone (we saw it start to happen in October), you're looking at a 100ish point jump in OPS and a bonafide superstar when you factor in his defense at a most premium of positions.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, JohnnyTapia said:

Thoughts?

He was certainly annoying to face.  Always put up good at bats against us but seemed very feast or famine.  Didn't seem to move the line very well and of course he always had Judge as protection.  Don't like losing the draft pick to sign him, but you can't argue Crane is being aggressive now that Click is out of the picture.

On 11/7/2022 at 3:14 PM, Planet Houston said:

And here’s what I’ve heard from my various well placed sources.

JV wants more than Scherzer, that’s his goal. Crane’s gonna pay it. What exactly that means for length of the contract I’m not sure, but exceeding Scherzer’s per year headline number is his goal.

They don’t want Espada to be the next manager and him not getting hired by the White Sox fucked up a one-year succession plan of bringing in the target to be the bench coach under Dusty.  

I haven’t heard anything on the GM other than what I relayed about Click not wanting to sign Brantley or Gurriel, and Crane overriding him. That story combined with the Urquidy/Contreras news I think tells us all we need to know. Whether it will be Stearns, Sig or someone else I have no clue, haven’t heard anything on that front. 

Update. 

JV still wants more than Scherzer - we have extended our best offer and have told him if he can beat it, good luck. No color on number/length, but “he’s gonna do what he takes” was not accurate. 

Rizzo’s agent is on speed dial and corner OF is a priority. Not center.

Click and the others that didn’t return were ultimately “not a fit” with what the organization’s philosophy, and it was never a question to bring back Dusty for one more year. Crane is going to take his time hiring a GM as he felt he had to rush it last time and nobody particularly wanted the job. Interviews will start relatively soon.

In the little bit I learned today, I wouldn’t be surprised with a Rizzo signing. 

Edit - Haha didn’t see Tapia’s post as I had my reply going for a bit too long while doing other things. Confirmed. 

Edited by Planet Houston
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Sucks that there isn’t a specific allotment from the pre-arb bonus pool for gold glove.  It wouldn’t be too far-fetched for Peña to get 2nd team all-MLB for that bonus.  He should get a top 100 WAR bonus.  Couple that with ~$400K playoff share and it makes up for not getting the $750K for ROY.  Playoffs and bonus pool will double his $700K salary this year.  

Edited by Guadaloopy

I don’t want that dickhead (edit: meaning rizzo). I don’t have a reasoned argument, he just seems too punchable, in the face and head region.  Maybe getting him out of the pinstripes will help, but I’m already worried about the potential contract. 

Edited by Jebus
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Don't hate it.  Also probably means JV is gone.

12 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I wonder how many years he wants?  His numbers (other than homers) are trending the wrong way.

Projections I’ve seen are in the 2/$38M range 

Edited by TonyTexas

4 hours ago, Scraps said:

Fuck that all to hell.  Just let him bat for both teams.  Good will and all, but can't see him against the H.

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

Projections I’ve seen are in the 2/$38M range 

Not as bad as I was fearing but then again the early projections I saw turned out to be way less than the actual numbers for montero

still 2 years isn’t a huge commitment. Are there any up and coming 1B candidates in the farm system?

I don’t want that dickhead (edit: meaning rizzo). I don’t have a reasoned argument, he just seems too punchable, in the face and head region.  Maybe getting him out of the pinstripes will help, but I’m already worried about the potential contract. 
Rizzo is a good dude....you got to take off your Yankees hate glasses. He was barely there anyway. He is funny as hell and seems to be a great teammate. Him and Altuve will need a tv show.
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Jebus said:

Not as bad as I was fearing but then again the early projections I saw turned out to be way less than the actual numbers for montero

still 2 years isn’t a huge commitment. Are there any up and coming 1B candidates in the farm system?

I think they are going to try moving Diaz to first.  Good bat, but isn't a great catcher.

5 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I’m surprised we aren’t targeting Bell. No QO attached to him, and his numbers pre-trade were good.

I imagine the biggest factor working against Bell is his defense. Rizzo is not the great defender he once was, and Abreu is…okish, I guess?…but for everyone who says 1B is easy to learn, anybody can do it-check out Bell’s numbers in metrics like DRS and OAA compared to those guys. He’s an actual liability there.

16 minutes ago, Jebus said:

Considered one of the nicest guys in the entire league by pretty much all accounts.  Dude is so nice he once apologized to Angel Hernandez despite the egregious call Angel made against him, Rizzo felt he should have been above it.  He's also a cancer survivor and spends tons of time with kids and adults suffering through it.  

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Scraps said:
17 minutes ago, Jebus said:

Rizzo is a good dude....you got to take off your Yankees hate glasses. He was barely there anyway. He is funny as hell and seems to be a great teammate. Him and Altuve will need a tv show.

I feel like I liked him when he was on the cubs.  I wonder if I really have this negative association just because of the Yankees. I’d be happy to root for him if he came here and did well. 

• Like 1