2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

love these articles and comments from the mlb media about marring a world series or how the baseball world will be critical of the astros for this move.

get. the. fuck. out. with. that. nonsense.

i just spent 3 days at fucking epcot with my in-laws and wore my bright orange trucker hat on purpose because we won the world series the night before.  i got some high-fives and plenty of grown adults yelling "cheaters" or "trash-tros" like we were on twitter or something. 

my father-in-law and i almost came to blows with some drunken idiot who yelled at us for supporting a team that cheats.  he shut up pretty quick when i said, "i've been rooting for this team for 40 years, what kind of shitty god-damned fan abandons their team over buzzer rumors and sign-stealing half the league was also doing?"  he was like, "what about the illegal bat?"  i said, "you mean the same bat the dodgers took turns hitting homers with?"

i'm done with optics.  we just won a 2nd title.  we're not the braves, we're not the chiefs, we're the fucking patriots.  let's go.

My go-to response is, "Who's your favorite baseball team, and before you answer, you should know that we're about to google them and the word steroids and take a look at the results together.  Now, go ahead."

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I'll reserve judgment for now, but I really hope Crane didn't do this with a solid backup plan in place. His comments about the "structure" of baseball operations leads me to believe he may replace Click with someone already in the FO. I'd be all for bringing in Mejdal or Stearns. I don't want Crane calling the shots with input from various other people. 

Jim Crane doesn't take a dump, son, without a plan.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, TexArcher said:

My go-to response is, "Who's your favorite baseball team, and before you answer, you should know that we're about to google them and the word steroids and take a look at the results together.  Now, go ahead."

I don't even indulge them.  I just roll my eyes and tell them Manfred appreciates their naivete very much...  and that they can fuck off.

Wore an Astros shirt Monday in Vegas and got zero negativity, even with Dodger fans in the area.  Lotsa high-fives, fist bumps, and "way-to-goes!"

Edited by slorch

Gross is right. Bullpen guys other than the elite of the elite are like a roller coaster up and down. Thats a shitload of money for a guy that’s A) not totally necessary and B) doesn’t have a long track record. 
thats 33M that should have gone to extending Framber or Javier or filling one of the 3 black holes in the lineup. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I’d always be wary of guys that all of a sudden have a great year at 32. Three year deal? Better chance he regresses than maintains but maybe they discovered something in him. That $11 mil could have been spent better in my opinion. But I’ve already had 3 shots of tequila cooking in a cookoff and watching Gameday. I may not be thinking clearly.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I wish I could pull of wearing a suit that awesome.  I also wish I could pull some trim like that.

Surly/

Check out those upper arms - they do not bode well for the future.  And there’s a bit of biscuit dough busting out the back of her dress.  WNB.

/Surly

6 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Surly/

Check out those upper arms - they do not bode well for the future.  And there’s a bit of biscuit dough busting out the back of her dress.  WNB.

/Surly

I think he will have the ability to upgrade to a newer model before the current model hits the expiration date.

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep. Curse of success. You do stupid shit like pay Montero 33M, or bring back a 39 YO Yuli, or a broken and 35 year old Brantley and you wonder why it all went to shit. 

My “fuck it” was meant to express slight exasperation at the Montero deal.  On the surface, it’s odd.  I’m OK with letting Yuli walk, even though he is one of my favorites.  I wouldn’t mind kicking the tires on Brantley.   

Edited by Guadaloopy

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

Look… I know the Montero deal is unexpected, but it’s not like this FO to just spend without a reason.  I’ll wait to see how he performs before judging the signing.  

Even if he performs well, it’s *still* a bad move based on process. They have at least 3 guys already under contract capable of filling high leverage roles before Pressly (Stanek, Nerris, Abreau). There’s such excess that Stanek basically disappeared in the postseason. And that’s before you get to anyone already in the system or bargain basement relievers they can find and reshape-let’s not forget, Montero himself was a throw in on the Graveman trade, he was about to be DFA.

Find the next Montero, don’t overpay for the last one. That’s what has made this org great.

• Hook 'Em 3

It’s a remarkable deal considering Montero has amassed just 0.1 bWAR over his career and had an ERA north of six just last year, but speaks to how good he’s looked since landing in Houston, and the early value teams are placing on high end relief pitching.

What other offers did he have ???

triggered GIF

48 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Gross is right. Bullpen guys other than the elite of the elite are like a roller coaster up and down. Thats a shitload of money for a guy that’s A) not totally necessary and B) doesn’t have a long track record. 
thats 33M that should have gone to extending Framber or Javier or filling one of the 3 black holes in the lineup. 

Definitely seems like an overpay for a guy who is only marginally better than Stanek and who was the worst performer out of the pen in the playoffs. I would have been fine with a backend of the bullpen that went Neris > Abreu > Pressly with Stanek/Martinez taking the middle innings. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Definitely seems like an overpay for a guy who is only marginally better than Stanek and who was the worst performer out of the pen in the playoffs. I would have been fine with a backend of the bullpen that went Neris > Abreu > Pressly with Stanek/Martinez taking the middle innings. 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/rankings/2022/salary/relief-pitcher/

we’re over paying him for the next 3 years. That third year better be a club option. This is the dumb shit the Yankees pull 

Edited by tx 3 putt