USMNT 2023

ztejas

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The only question is whether he actually lines us up like that moving forward. 

that is absolutely the concern here, dude. GERG is known for having his pets. fucking jordan morris over Pepi in the WC? fuck!

but yeah, GERGG is a rigid 4-3-3 guy. BJ let these dudes play free roles with a back three. Do I think GERG was secretly pulling the string behind the scenes for this match? LOL no. hell no. 

I have no confidence that GERGG has learned the errors of his ways nor being unstubborn enough to have buried the hatchet with the reynas. its gonna be personal and its gonna be ugly and we have to play conmebol next year in a major tournament. what a crash and burn. 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

that is absolutely the concern here, dude. GERG is known for having his pets. fucking jordan morris over Pepi in the WC? fuck!

Serious question, are you really this invested in the USMNT to be so upset about this while also not following the team enough to not realize Jordan Morris and Pepi were not competing for the same roster spot? Or are you just doing a fake outrage thing about something you know didn't happen just for fun?

16 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

I have no confidence that GERGG has learned the errors of his ways nor being unstubborn enough to have buried the hatchet with the reynas. its gonna be personal and its gonna be ugly and we have to play conmebol next year in a major tournament. what a crash and burn. 

Let's step away from the ledge a bit and see what he elects to do with an actual striker. How much energy did we spend trying to figure out who our 9 was last cycle?

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Let's step away from the ledge a bit and see what he elects to do with an actual striker. How much energy did we spend trying to figure out who our 9 was last cycle?

I saw Gregg spend zero time making tactical adjustments when teams prepared for his. That's easily my biggest issue, his completely inflexibility with his game plan and tactics.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

38 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

I just want to call out that we trotted out a lineup that featured...

Arsenal

Chelsea - Dortmund - Lille

Juventus - Valencia

Fulham - CP - MLS - Barca

When just 15 years ago (guessing...), the best we could do is Dempsey at Tottenham, Howard at Everton, Jones at Schalke, and Johnson at Monchenglahoweveryouspellit.

And now we can waste it by hiring GGG. Again.

Yep.  There was a time when seeing Jay Demerit on the pitch for Championship side Watford was a pretty big deal.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

I just want to call out that we trotted out a lineup that featured...

Arsenal

Chelsea - Dortmund - Lille

Juventus - Valencia

Fulham - CP - MLS - Barca

When just 15 years ago (guessing...), the best we could do is Dempsey at Tottenham, Howard at Everton, Jones at Schalke, and Johnson at Monchenglahoweveryouspellit.

And now we can waste it by hiring GGG. Again.

Fulham. He had 1 season at Tottenham and they wasted him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This feels like a monumental fail.

For me it's a simple as this---I'm convinced our 2026 ceiling with Berhalter is nowhere near as high as our 2026 ceiling with a coach with more international experience and success, and I believe such a coach was available to us.

We will be more talented in 2026 than South Korea was in 2002 when Guus the Legendary Mercenary took them all the way to the semi-finals. But with Berhalter it wouldn't be a complete surprise if we crash out in the group stage or round of 16.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, goatsaag said:

Serious question, are you really this invested in the USMNT to be so upset about this while also not following the team enough to not realize Jordan Morris and Pepi were not competing for the same roster spot? Or are you just doing a fake outrage thing about something you know didn't happen just for fun?

bro its fuckin jordan morris, a throwaway nobody who DOES get time at the 9, but even if brought as a winger at qatar, we were need motherfuckin 9s to play in gergs shitty system. A 9 that wasn't a fuckin dwarf. Pepe would have gotten minutes in qatar, we started god damned ferrera against the netherlands LMFAO 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I saw Gregg spend zero time making tactical adjustments when teams prepared for his. That's easily my biggest issue, his completely inflexibility with his game plan and tactics.

No argument here. Either that or his shit-ass subs. 

Fortunately, a lot of the time lining up right with the right players is enough in international game. Let's hope he can get it right more often than not going forward. 

I really think Balogun is a game changer and will cover for a lot of Gerg's short comings. We shall see. 

2 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

“Need lletget back” - ztejas probably 

God. What a talent. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Gerg started Reyna all the time before the WC drama when Reyna was trying to get back to match fitness. Y'all are just making up things to be upset about.

Gerg isn't incapable of rolling out that formation and lineup from last night, and as goatsaag said the dude from last night is remaining on staff. 

Gregg played Reyna out of position the whole time he was on the team. He had CP - Reyna or Weah. He only stuck him in the MF when he was desperate to score against the Dutch in the second half.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Do y'all really think this dude with no high level managerial experience completely revamped our attack in one camp? We looked good because we had an actual 9 on the pitch and Reyna at the 10. It's that simple (and 2 mids vs 3).

The only question is whether he actually lines us up like that moving forward. 

Gregg should have been doing this for most of qualifiers and even before. He never did. It was constantly playing players out of position.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

image.png.7f477196e9ec34ddf36c62d6782f2f5c.png

According to this only 245 minutes. That was across 29 matches played before the World Cup.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

anyone think he is suddenly going to become a guy who can lead the USMNT to the final, much less win it?

Meh. I don't think we're going to be good enough to win a world cup final in '26. As talented as we are we still don't have any truly world-class talents - I mean maybe Reyna is - and we probably need a couple more cycles to get a handful of those guys in the building. I don't see '26 as a make or break year. There's 350 million people in this country - let alone all the ex pats or kids with dual citizenship - and our teens keep getting better and better. Guys like CP and McKennie aren't irreplaceable. 

I'm also not sure who was realistically available. I mean, I'd take Marsch or Vieira over Gerg but are those guys getting us to the final? 

Let's see what happens. I don't expect him to improve as a manager but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. Maybe this 6 months did him some good in conjuction with steamrolling L Tri while he watched from home. Ultimately the issue isn't the manager - it's the dipshit fed that just rehired him. That needs to change at some point and apparently it wasn't going to change in time for '26. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Gregg played Reyna out of position the whole time he was on the team. He had CP - Reyna or Weah. He only stuck him in the MF when he was desperate to score against the Dutch in the second half.

Gregg should have been doing this for most of qualifiers and even before. He never did. It was constantly playing players out of position.

image.png.7f477196e9ec34ddf36c62d6782f2f5c.png

According to this only 245 minutes. That was across 29 matches played before the World Cup.

I'm done going back and forth. We aren't going to agree on a lot of this (I don't disagree with a lot of it anyway) and that's fine. Pefok should never see the pitch for us again - who cares. 

Edited by ztejas

One last thing - it always felt that our talent did well under Gregg DESPITE Gregg. He so often played our players out of their natural position that it took a while for them to get it right. They did often, but it took a while.

Which brings us back to why the the interim coaches - our guys were put in natural position and they succeeded. It was a blast to watch!

If Gregg does this he can win me over. The problem is that his 4 years in charge thus far doesn't show me he will.

• Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Pefok should never see the pitch for us again - who cares. 

Pefok saw the pitch in the past? I kid I kid. 

14 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

One last thing - it always felt that our talent did well under Gregg DESPITE Gregg. He so often played our players out of their natural position that it took a while for them to get it right. They did often, but it took a while.

Which brings us back to why the the interim coaches - our guys were put in natural position and they succeeded. It was a blast to watch!

If Gregg does this he can win me over. The problem is that his 4 years in charge thus far doesn't show me he will.

Im pretty much here, hopefully GGGGGG watched the past few games and saw what could be. I wonder if we will see him sunday night. Doubtful but why have a placeholder if you have your guy. 

The Berhalter thing is mystifying to me. The timeline makes me wonder if they developed a short wish list, but were told no thanks by everyone on there. So they said, "fuck it, none of these 3-4 guys wants the job, so lets just stick with the known quantity that the players like".

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Tomatillo said:

Cannot believe how dirty that team is nor how atrocious their fans are. Every time with the kickoff "cheer' and throwing projectiles on the field. 

I know I’ll get roasted for this, but having grown up in L.A. and attending numerous soccer games from the 80’s - 2000’s, this behavior is par for the course. I don’t claim to know how it is in other areas, but anytime a Mexican team played it was ummm an experience. We knew to sit up high and not cheer any action. I’ve seen fights, you-name-the-object being hurled, live fireworks tossed into opposing teams sections, and God help you if Americas played Chivas. As bad as it was then, it appears to have gotten way out of hand. Weren’t they on like double-secret probation by FIFA or CONCACAF?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

The Berhalter thing is mystifying to me. The timeline makes me wonder if they developed a short wish list, but were told no thanks by everyone on there. So they said, "fuck it, none of these 3-4 guys wants the job, so lets just stick with the known quantity that the players like".

woah now, let's not act like he is beloved by the majority of the players on the team or that this was some player driven push to bring him back (totally expect USSF to say it was in the near future though haha)

how many guys went out and publicly advocated for him to have the job back right after the world cup? how about over the last 6 months?

some people like him, many hate him.

he is who he is - a guy who has a limited ceiling, isn't super tactically flexible, doesn't really maximize the entire pool, below average in game manager, etc.

if he was such a great fucking coach wouldn't we have heard about a club other than Club America coming after this guy? how about a club other than Club America even hinting at hiring the guy. keep in mind Anthony Hudson got a job.

oh wait, that's because he was fired from one club for not attacking enough and winning 39% of games with a +9 GD in 46 games. and he left Columbus with at 38.34 win% and a +5 GD over an amazing 193 games.

we can review who he is, but he is who he is and he absolutely is not going to maximize the pool overall, the selected roster or the team's results.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

woah now, let's not act like he is beloved by the majority of the players on the team or that this was some player driven push to bring him back (totally expect USSF to say it was in the near future though haha)

how many guys went out and publicly advocated for him to have the job back right after the world cup? how about over the last 6 months?

some people like him, many hate him.

he is who he is - a guy who has a limited ceiling, isn't super tactically flexible, doesn't really maximize the entire pool, below average in game manager, etc.

if he was such a great fucking coach wouldn't we have heard about a club other than Club America coming after this guy? how about a club other than Club America even hinting at hiring the guy. keep in mind Anthony Hudson got a job.

oh wait, that's because he was fired from one club for not attacking enough and winning 39% of games with a +9 GD in 46 games. and he left Columbus with at 38.34 win% and a +5 GD over an amazing 193 games.

we can review who he is, but he is who he is and he absolutely is not going to maximize the pool overall, the selected roster or the team's results.

Didn't Pulisic come out pretty strongly in favor of him pretty shortly after the World Cup? I admit to not following this as closely as many on this thread.

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Didn't Pulisic come out pretty strongly in favor of him pretty shortly after the World Cup? I admit to not following this as closely as many on this thread.

from his interview in March with Graham Hunter:

Graham Hunter: The USMNT has no director of football and no permanent coach. The World Cup (that the U.S. is co-hosting) might seem a long way away, but we've barely blinked, and we're already almost four months on from Qatar. Does U.S. Soccer have as much time as it thinks it does when it comes to consolidating and building on what you achieved in Qatar?

Pulisic: I'm not here to appoint the next manager. It's not my job. Whoever it is, I'm gonna play and give 100 percent. But in my opinion, everything that happened with Gregg has been handled in an extremely childish manner. I think we all have seen what's been going on. I think it's childish. It's [something you'd see in] youth soccer: people complaining about playing time. I don't want to go too far into that, but I think Gregg has been extremely unfortunate to get into the position he is now.

Should we just wait and wait [for a new manager]? We're not in a phase where we need a complete rebuild, like we were after not qualifying for the last World Cup four years ago. We don't need a bunch of new guys coming in. We have a strong core: a lot of people have seen that. We need to carry on. That's why it's a tough one, because I think we want to continue as soon as we can and build from this World Cup, which brought a lot of positives.

The recent independent report released by U.S. Soccer on Monday seems to put Berhalter completely in the clear, and it appears he is still a candidate for his old job. If Gregg were to be put in charge again, immediately, would you feel content with that?

Yeah, no doubt, no doubt about it. I think the strides that we've taken in recent years with him in charge, have been evident. I think it's quite clear.

+

Berhalter is someone who has grown on me a lot over the years. I've learned a lot from him and have grown so much as a player. It's underappreciated what he's done to create that environment which was so special within that team [in Qatar]. He's helped a lot of players improve in a lot of ways.

this was in march right after the report came out IIRC

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

why would he try to mend fences with any of those guys? Gio I get. But behind the scenes he clearly wanted this job, has spent the last six months working to get the job back...but didn't reach out to either of those guys who were his dudes since telling them they weren't on the final WC team?

What has he been doing for half a year besides fucking around at leadership conferences?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

why would he try to mend fences with any of those guys? Gio I get. But behind the scenes he clearly wanted this job, has spent the last six months working to get the job back...but didn't reach out to either of those guys who were his dudes since telling them they weren't on the final WC team?

What has he been doing for half a year besides fucking around at leadership conferences?

It makes sense why he wouldn't have reached out to players. Maybe they told him not to. Maybe he thought they were hiring someone else (like most of us did).

I mean, he hasn't talked to those guys. Has he talked to any of the other guys? I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't.

This is another federation fuckup for me - not something to pin on Gerg. I was quietly hoping that he had already mended things with Reyna but I'm not privy to everything behind the scenes and I'm not worried about them mending it moving forward. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It makes sense why he wouldn't have reached out to players. Maybe they told him not to. Maybe he thought they were hiring someone else (like most of us did).

I mean, he hasn't talked to those guys. Has he talked to any of the other guys? I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't.

This is another federation fuckup for me - not something to pin on Gerg. I was quietly hoping that he had already mended things with Reyna but I'm not privy to everything behind the scenes and I'm not worried about them mending it moving forward. 

I'll wipe the Gio stuff off - no blame there.

But he should have reached out to Steffen and Pepi if he was hoping to get the gig back, at the least so if he was asked he could say he reached out.

We can all agree: fuck the USSF

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

I'll wipe the Gio stuff off - no blame there.

But he should have reached out to Steffen and Pepi if he was hoping to get the gig back, at the least so if he was asked he could say he reached out.

I just think it's presumptuous to suggest that he wasn't doing his job while he... didn't have his job. Like he should have predicted how this would all turn out and have acted accordingly. 

Again, this whole thing was an utter shitshow. I never wanted him back. I still call him Gerg. I just hope he has some sense knocked into him and repairs the necessary relationships and we keep the ball rolling. Oh, and play the 4-2-3-1 you stupid fuck.

Really - all I'm trying to do is keep this thread level-headed so we can keep discussing the team as a whole. I'm frustrated just like the rest of you. I hear all of your concerns and everyone in here has a right to be pissed - but - and I said it last night...

This team is bigger than the manager. I will never not support them just because I don't like the dickhead in charge. Let's try and focus on the positives and pray for the best. That's all I'm trying to convey here. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This team is bigger than the manager. I will never not support them just because I don't like the dickhead in charge. Let's try and focus on the positives and pray for the best. That's all I'm trying to convey here. 

The only way to get through to US Soccer is by messing with their money so I don't see any incentive to watch any games with Greg in charge.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Ok. 

Who is defending the hire? Please educate us. @goatsaag is the biggest apologist here and I'm willing to bet he would have liked us to hire someone else. 

Keep yelling at the clouds. Over/under there's half a poster here that wanted Gerg.

Edited by ztejas

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Who is defending the hire? Please educate us. @goatsaag is the biggest apologist here and I'm willing to bet he would have liked us to hire someone else. 

Keep yelling at the clouds. Over/under there's half a poster here that wanted Gerg.

Wanting GGG and defending the hire are two different things. I'll take the over. 

Enjoy being you.