USMNT 2023

ztejas

6 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

I'm down with this 

Yedlin was good tonight. He and Reynolds aren't going to be the issue.

I like Tolkin more than Jones.

Agree on the rest, obviously. 

I don't know if you'd put Zendejas at the 10 or Jesus at the 10 but Sonora was the worst player on the pitch for us and Roldan wasn't much bettter.

Edited by ztejas

yall ferrera at the 10 get real? The dude has no tactical finesse. he's a tiny face-to-goal scrub and poacher. putting him at the 10 will offer 100 backpasses with his back to the goal and kill every bit of momentum through the middle. I think people are being thrown off by his shitty chip into the box that was 3 feet wide of BV and a RB error brought it right to BVs feet for a clinical finish and giving him some sort of MLS style hockey assist. The dude sucks. Let it go. He can sub in at 70' and put on his usual fitness video performance and chase down long balls. The dude straight up sucks. GM needs to be the 10 if we're still tryna run BJs system

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

____________BV_____________ 

Cowell ____Mihailovic____Zendejas

_____Sands___________ Busio

Yeddy Miles Miazga Reynolds 

[Turner]

If i was shadow GERGG

I wanna revise this and start Neal for Miazga. I thought he looked great as a 2nd half sub in place of Long.

No one here suggested playing him at the 10. 

He doesn't suck. Certainly not compared to the rest of this roster. He had a lot of nice touches tonight - including the ball into the box that BV cleaned up. When you put the ball into dangerous positions goals happen and he dropped the ball right in front of the net. 

He just can't play the 9. 

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No one here suggested playing him at the 10. 

He doesn't suck. Certainly not compared to the rest of this roster. He had a lot of nice touches tonight - including the ball into the box that BV cleaned up. When you put the ball into dangerous positions goals happen and he dropped the ball right in front of the net. 

He just can't play the 9. 

He's not a 10 either. 9 is his natural position, he just sucks at it outside of fucking MLS. Now you wanna take a dude out of his natural position and force him into a different role? I don't get that. A winger? Hell no. Not nearly the pace needed. 

Also, this was NOT a good cross lmao. Anyone could put this ball into this "dangerous position". Ignore Twellman vomiting that stupid shit.

8 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

yall ferrera at the 10 get real? The dude has no tactical finesse. he's a tiny face-to-goal scrub and poacher. putting him at the 10 will offer 100 backpasses with his back to the goal and kill every bit of momentum through the middle. I think people are being thrown off by his shitty chip into the box that was 3 feet wide of BV and a RB error brought it right to BVs feet for a clinical finish and giving him some sort of MLS style hockey assist. The dude sucks. Let it go. He can sub in at 70' and put on his usual fitness video performance and chase down long balls. The dude straight up sucks. GM needs to be the 10 if we're still tryna run BJs system

You must have missed the goal. 

Deft touches, bought some time, floated the ball into the middle, a Jamaican fuckup and then BOOM… a goal.

That goal doesn’t happen without Jesús.

Also, if Miazga hadn’t kept the Jamaican onside, Jordan Morris was there to keep him onside from the back post. In fact, he was closer to the end line than Miazga. 

Yedlin wasn’t the worst player on the field, but he sucked plenty of times. 

Late in the game when Bailey was in the corner, it is impressive, but not shocking to see Bailey work his way out of the corner, but the second defender should always sweep through and get the ball. I was doing that in elementary school and never even played “select”/“club” soccer. 

But did Yedlin do that?

image.gif.84c0073bb5fc2ab4a817243a0ea7af53.gif

He approached to get nutmegged after watching his teammate get nutmegged. What a shit for brains. 

15 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

You must have missed the goal. 

Deft touches, bought some time, floated the ball into the middle, a Jamaican fuckup and then BOOM… a goal.

That goal doesn’t happen without Jesús.

correct-futurama.gif

However, I do feel your argument is a bit disingenuous. That service was to nobody. Glad he did it, but the goal was 60% terrible play from Jamaica's CBs and 40% level-headed finish from Vazquez.

I agree with you that Ferreira has a place on the pitch. Personally, I'd start him out wide--where he was for that goal--or bring him on as a late sub and let him run around like a chicken with his head cut off in secondary tournaments such as the Gold Cup. I do NOT want to see him at the 10 (as someone else's Twitter post seems to imply), nor do I want him on the field with our A-teamers.

But the Gold Cup should be his place to shine. And it would be ... provided he wasn't forced into a role that his body is ill-suited for (too short, too light, too weak, not good enough in the air and not fast enough to really scare CBs as a striker).

Personally, I'm thrilled to bits the USMNT escaped that game with a point. That starting lineup was mismatched trash.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

there is a delusion that US mls nines can instantly move up

see: twellman, taylor

You mean the guy who last played in thr MLS in 2010?

You don't think there are any differences between 2023 MLS and 2010 MLS? Really? 

Not defending Twellman, but MLS is a much different league now.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yedlin was average at best.  He is also pointless. Why play a past his prime FB who has played poorly for the worst team in MLS over a European-based youngster coming off a solid season?  It’s the same issue with Long instead of Neal and Morris instead of Cowell.  Average past their prime MLS players taking minutes from young players who could potentially contribute to the A team at some point. It’s a huge problem for greggg teams.  Pointless call ups of dudes with no USMNT future at the expense of potential future contributors.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

There is a very short camp leading into the GC, hopefully that’s why  BJGGG went with experience this match.   We were disjointed vs crappy Haiti last GC, probably due to the short camp.    The next 2 matches are vs St Kitts and the Trinidad and the group winner is almost assuredly going to come down to goal difference, so we need to be much more attacking.   2 1-0 or 2-0 results likely lands us behind Jamaica.  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

____________BV_____________ 

Cowell ____Mihailovic____Zendejas

_____Sands___________ Busio

Yeddy Miles Miazga Reynolds 

[Turner]

If i was shadow GERGG

that front 4 will do some damage

it's a version 2 of what we saw last week

which is why gergg will of course refuse to unleash the hounds

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NoName said:

You don't think there are any differences between 2023 MLS and 2010 MLS? Really? 

mls remains a 3-touch league played at 60% the speed of the prem

let's see vasquez prove me wrong - of course gergg won't give him the chance and will instead start a 9pet

6 hours ago, NoName said:

Vasquez is maybe a top 12-15ish forward in MLS (if that) and he's probably the best player on this team outside Turner. 

I mean driussi or Mukthar would be the best player on this roster by a fucking landslide. 

Edited by ztejas

3 hours ago, alincoln said:

Average past their prime MLS players taking minutes from young players who could potentially contribute to the A team at some point. It’s a huge problem for greggg teams.  Pointless call ups of dudes with no USMNT future at the expense of potential future contributors.

should be pinned to top of this thread

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

There is a very short camp leading into the GC, hopefully that’s why  BJGGG went with experience this match.   We were disjointed vs crappy Haiti last GC, probably due to the short camp.    The next 2 matches are vs St Kitts and the Trinidad and the group winner is almost assuredly going to come down to goal difference, so we need to be much more attacking.   2 1-0 or 2-0 results likely lands us behind Jamaica.  

need jam and tri to draw

if we don't open with the front part of the bottlecap 23 we're not trying to win the group

43 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

mls remains a 3-touch league played at 60% the speed of the prem

It's a drastically different league than it was twelve years ago. It's a better, deeper league across the entire board. It's better in quite literally every single way.

No one is saying it's good as the premier league. Literally, no one. Stop it.

• Hook 'Em 2

@NoName stop what?

i can't stop what i'm not doing

if you want to tell me to freeze and get down, i can't do both

mls may be drastically different

it may be better, it may be deeper across the entire board

i watch a few minutes every so often, and it remains a 3-touch league played at 60% the pace of the prem

did i say someone else said it was as good as the prem?

no

you controverted what i said to try to manufacture a chewbacca attack (the reverse of a chewbacca defense)

okay then

Edited by Hagbard Celine

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Thrilled about this. Whether by luck or by design, Fulham has been an excellent home for USMNT players, past and present.

it would be fanstastic if castle weren't in for jedi at £35m so we could start rebuilding another fulhamerica

been to craven twice, saw dempsey score both times (once soton, once portsmouth)

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

The next 2 matches are vs St Kitts and the Trinidad and the group winner is almost assuredly going to come down to goal difference, so we need to be much more attacking.   2 1-0 or 2-0 results likely lands us behind Jamaica.  

Top 2 from each group advance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Wouldn’t mind seeing something like this.  

20071908-8F99-4C5E-9A96-A72DE5637C25.jpeg

Having two offensive-minded midfielders who can control the ball while also shoot it would be very nice. 

Especially when we are looking for a bazillion goals and shouldn’t be tested in defense. 

16 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

@NoName stop what?

i can't stop what i'm not doing

if you want to tell me to freeze and get down, i can't do both

mls may be drastically different

it may be better, it may be deeper across the entire board

i watch a few minutes every so often, and it remains a 3-touch league played at 60% the pace of the prem

did i say someone else said it was as good as the prem?

no

you controverted what i said to try to manufacture a chewbacca attack (the reverse of a chewbacca defense)

okay then

you are the one who brought up, as an example of a MLS 9 who can't play up, a guy who last played for the USMNT in 2008 and who last played in MLS in 2009/2010.

if you don't think the MLS is drastically better and deeper across the board between 2023 and 2010 you are either being intentionally obtuse or don't know shit about soccer. it's not the second one, obviously.

you are the one who brought up the premier league in comparison to MLS. not me.

look - it was a lazy comparison on a good point in general about MLS 9's, because you wanted to jump on a guy with a zillion caps and a few goals who wasn't really good enough to play for the USMNT anyway. then you brought up the 60% as fast as the EPL.

it is what it is, but don't make lazy comparisons then be obtuse about them. it's annoying as hell.

10 hours ago, NoName said:

you are the one who brought up, as an example of a MLS 9 who can't play up, a guy who last played for the USMNT in 2008 and who last played in MLS in 2009/2010.

if you don't think the MLS is drastically better and deeper across the board between 2023 and 2010 you are either being intentionally obtuse or don't know shit about soccer. it's not the second one, obviously.

you are the one who brought up the premier league in comparison to MLS. not me.

look - it was a lazy comparison on a good point in general about MLS 9's, because you wanted to jump on a guy with a zillion caps and a few goals who wasn't really good enough to play for the USMNT anyway. then you brought up the 60% as fast as the EPL.

it is what it is, but don't make lazy comparisons then be obtuse about them. it's annoying as hell.

are these 2 things mutually exclusive:

mls is better and deeper today than 10 years aog

mls is played at 60% speed of the prem

is it unpossible for both to be simultaneously true?

if the answer is no, they are not mutually exclusive, both can be true....

then you entire post is an ad hominem argument because i brought up a #9 from TWENTY years ago and said nothing about mls being better and deeper

you are the one who introduced "better and deeper" in to your narrative to support your point which you then used as a foil to criticize my 60% speed assessment

you can call it a red herring, strawman or chewbacca attack

whatever you call that move, you made it, and i stand by my original comment

mls is played at 60% the speed of the prem and mls 9s don't translate

vasquez wears #19 for cincy

i hope he drops the 1 and proves me wrong

21 minutes ago, The Dog said:

ETA this (from ESPN Transfer Talk):

So far I’m not too excited about Americans going to teams with American owners.

Pepi @ Augsburg 

Twellman & Busio @ Venezia

Bryan Reynolds @ Roma

Leeds crew @ Leeds with the 49ers group looking to buy.

Pulisic @ Chelsea after the sale to the American idiot.

Dest @ AC Milan

POSTIVE MOVE, but…

Turner @ Arsenal

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Supporters in Venice when their owner signed 42 year old Taylor Twellman.

angry-upset.gif

I know you meant Tanner Tessman, who played great in the 2nd half of the season.   He'd have been a gold cup starter potentially, but he is getting married during the tournament and was unable to join the team.

Edited by Ted Lange
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

So far I’m not too excited about Americans going to teams with American owners.

Pepi @ Augsburg 

Bryan Reynolds @ Roma

Leeds crew @ Leeds with the 49ers group looking to buy.

Pulisic @ Chelsea after the sale to the American idiot.

Dest @ AC Milan

POSTIVE MOVE, but…

Turner @ Arsenal

TBF not all of those were "bad" moves. 

Pulisic was great for Chelsea before the injuries and then dysfunction set in. 

Adams was the best player for Leeds (arguably) before getting hurt. Heck they probably avoid relegation if he stays healthy. 

As far as Pulisic I think he needs to find a place where he's a regular starter and he plays where he should. Lyon might just be the best option and if he tears it up there they can sell him on somewhere else (or build around him). 

We might just be seeing some general dysfunction with American owners who buy a team for status and aren't really interested in making a club successful and get Americans on the team to sell more gear - so I get the point you are trying to make. 

9 hours ago, The Dog said:

10M Euros is a bargain, imo.

Pepi briefly struggled with his form during the MLS-Euro transition (that's not a knock on MLS, don't be triggered!) but seems to have rediscovered his mojo.

His on-field workrate is excellent, and his personality is such that I imagine he's probably just as hard-working in practice.

Super, super happy with his progress and continue to believe he's going to be a huge part of the USMNT's success over the coming decade.

• Hook 'Em 2