USMNT 2023

ztejas

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Gee, if only we knew as much as you.

There are multiple posters here that understand the game at a higher level than I do.

The difference is what I choose to complain about or intentionally misunderstand and then post about. 

22 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If y'all keep complaining about Gerg enough maybe they'll hire someone else. 

Honestly we should have two threads: one where people complain about the manager and one where we actually discuss the national team. 

Given the sarcastic logic of your first sentence, I guess none of us should post at all, since nothing that is said here has any bearing on what the USSF does (or how the USMNT performs).

The second sentence is informative. All this time, I was under the impression that the hiring of the USMNT's head coach/technical director in 2023 was pertinent to the "USMNT 2023" thread. Shame on us.

Since you apparently have such an intense desire to control what people say here, maybe you should apply for moderator privileges.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

10 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Given the sarcastic logic of your first sentence, I guess none of us should post at all, since nothing that is said here has any bearing on what the USSF does (or how the USMNT performs).

The second sentence is informative. All this time, I was under the impression that the hiring of the USMNT's head coach/technical director in 2023 was pertinent to the "USMNT 2023" thread. Shame on us.

Since you apparently have such an intense desire to control what people say here, maybe you should apply for moderator privileges.

I'm not trying to control what people say I'm trying to let people know how much of a waste of time some of their comments are. The fact that some of you are still caught up in which 9s we brought to Qatar fucking amazes me but here we are. Knock yourselves out I guess. I'm going to focus on how amazing our current 2 deep is. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Wait wait wait wait wait...

How many of you are under 30? Any of you? One, two of you? 

I was when I graduated from UT, but for not very many years after that. 

Gregg was good at bonding with the kids. That’s part of why John Brooks was removed from the selections… because he was poisoning CP.

The press conference after Brooks’ last game, CP said that we don’t have a Plan B when Plan A isn’t working. 

There are stories of Brooks dismissing Gregg’s instruction from the sideline and he seemed to not give full effort in the match. 

It was an early World Cup qualifier on the road in Central America.

Gregg’s tactics, player selection, and experimental lineups early in qualifying frequently sucked. 

Now a vast majority of the squad is gung-ho for Gregg coming back. Maybe he made the majority of his dumb decisions in the last cycle because he was prepping everyone for 2026, don’t know. But I do know that the majority of the changes that fans wished that Gregg would make were made by BJ and they proved to be as good as the fans believed they would be. 

Nothing & no one held the USMNT back more from September 2021 until December of 2022 that Gregg Berhalter’s decisions.

But perhaps the obvious choices are now so obvious that even Gregg can’t get in the way of the squad’s talent.
🙏

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

If y'all keep complaining about Gerg enough maybe they'll hire someone else. 

Honestly we should have two threads: one where people complain about the manager and one where we actually discuss the national team. 

Actually you need three. Those two, plus one where you bitch about everyone bitching about Gregg. The third might have the least number of posts, but would easily have the most words in it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Stuff like this is a lot more important than who the manager is.

That guy^ is playing for the US. A proper, European shithousing, potential CL-club starting 9 talent is playing for our team. 

I feel like a lot of you haven't really let that sink in yet or realized how good this guy is. Sure, Gerg is frustrating. But for anyone actually paying attention to our player pool right now I'm not sure how you can get so upset about who the manager is without realizing that we are slowly becoming one of the most stacked teams in the world.

It isn't a coincidence that when that guy starts next to Reyna, Pulisic and Weah we all of a sudden look better than we potentially ever have in this team's history.

Please - keep bitching about Gerg. It gets old but that's your right as a fan. 

But for fuck's sake realize why this team just kicked the absolute shit out of the two best teams in the fed. It isn't because Gerg's 3rd lackey is some football genius. It's because we are bludgeoning teams over the head with our talent and athleticism when we put our best XI on the pitch at the right positions. 

I get it. Gerg hasn't always made that happen as a coach. But if y'all could at least believe that it's possible that he changes the formation a bit and keeps getting lineups right then I promise you the talent is going to start taking care of the rest. 

He has to actually take the best 24 to camp, let alone put the best XI on the field for me to believe it.  

he hasn’t shown the ability to do that yet 

• Hook 'Em 7

I'm not trying to control what people say I'm trying to let people know how much of a waste of time some of their comments are. 

Dude, i love you but, you have to realize the irony of a dude with over 50,000 posts talking about what a waste of time commenting on message boards are. 

That is the whole point. We arent going to go protest at the fed, so we get on here to bitch about sports. 

Edited by Juicy
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

The fact that some of you are still caught up in which 9s we brought to Qatar fucking amazes me but here we are.

...do you not think the team selection that GB took to Qatar matters when talking about GB coming back as the coach? ...or that the qualifying process last time doesn't inform anything about him? ...or that his in game management during friendlies, the hex and the world cup matters when discussing him coming back as the coach?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm not trying to control what people say I'm trying to let people know how much of a waste of time some of their comments are. The fact that some of you are still caught up in which 9s we brought to Qatar fucking amazes me but here we are. Knock yourselves out I guess. I'm going to focus on how amazing our current 2 deep is. 

You're bitching about people making comments on a... checks URL... message board? A message board in which you have contributed more than pretty much anyone else (or maybe you are #1...).

Of course none of this is going to change anything, we're not idiots. This whole board is a waste of time - that's its primary purpose!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

I feel like a lot of you haven't really let that sink in yet or realized how good this guy is. Sure, Gerg is frustrating. But for anyone actually paying attention to our player pool right now I'm not sure how you can get so upset about who the manager is without realizing that we are slowly becoming one of the most stacked teams in the world.

I'm not sure I would go that far. Yes, we have some very nice players with skill that we've never had before which currently makes us the class of our region. However, outside of the MF we really don't have all that much depth and some of our stars are struggling to see playing time in Europe or are making moves to smaller leagues/teams to get more time. I absolutely love the talent/tenacity we have and the future is incredibly bright, but I don't see how we matchup with the truly stacked teams especially on defense. I think we'll be as talented and as good as we've ever been in 2026, but I also think we're setting ourselves up for disappointment if we expect to be one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the tournament without some major luck. I think Copa 2024 will give us a much needed reality check when a mid-level CONMEBOL team like Chile, Uruguay, or Colombia takes it to us. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'm not sure I would go that far. Yes, we have some very nice players with skill that we've never had before which currently makes us the class of our region. However, outside of the MF we really don't have all that much depth and some of our stars are struggling to see playing time in Europe or are making moves to smaller leagues/teams to get more time. I absolutely love the talent/tenacity we have and the future is incredibly bright, but I don't see how we matchup with the truly stacked teams especially on defense. I think we'll be as talented and as good as we've ever been in 2026, but I also think we're setting ourselves up for disappointment if we expect to be one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the tournament without some major luck. I think Copa 2024 will give us a much needed reality check when a mid-level CONMEBOL team like Chile, Uruguay, or Colombia takes it to us. 

I'm not sure I agree with this. Don't get me wrong, we are clearly no Argentina or Brazil. But (and again this is where the tactics matter) with the right scheme, we can go to to toe with any of the middle of the table CONMEBOL teams. We have talent and we have youth. Combine that with being at home for our next big tournaments, I think we have a good shot at making some noise.

Centinario saw us field a far less talented team against much better CONMEBOL teams (than now) and we finished 4th. Honestly, for Copa 24, that shouldn't be out of the question (save for the Berhalter in the room).

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Centinario saw us field a far less talented team against much better CONMEBOL teams (than now) and we finished 4th. Honestly, for Copa 24, that shouldn't be out of the question (save for the Berhalter in the room).

I would think top 4 would be expected. We're better than Uruguay, Colombia, and Peru at least on paper. Those 3 plus the US are fighting for #3 and #4 behind Argentina and Brazil.

The GGGv2 factor is the great unknown as you call out - hopefully, v2 has some notable upgrades over v1.

50 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I'm not sure I agree with this. Don't get me wrong, we are clearly no Argentina or Brazil. But (and again this is where the tactics matter) with the right scheme, we can go to to toe with any of the middle of the table CONMEBOL teams. We have talent and we have youth. Combine that with being at home for our next big tournaments, I think we have a good shot at making some noise.

Oh yeah 3rd or 4th in Copa America isn't out of the question, but that would place us as the same as your Uruguay, Chile, Colombia, and Peru types which is where I think we are right now talent wise. I don't think expecting a semifinal appearance in 2026 is all that realistic but of course homefield matters as does the craziness that happens in every WC. I think the US will have something like the 8th or 9th best squad if the trajectory continues into 2026.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Our player pool is clearly behind Uruguay and I would expect Bielsa to coach circles around the retread moron we idiotically rehired.  

We are more on the level of Colombia and Ecuador in the current second tier of CONMEBOL teams ahead of Chile (golden generation is old AF), Peru, Venezuela, Paraguay and Bolivia.

Greggg is more than capable of placing us firmly in the third tier.  I wouldn't put a dime on a Greggg-coached USMNT against Colombia or Ecuador.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

We're better than Uruguay

Are we? I don't think it's a given that either team is better than the other, but they have some really good talent that isn't in Suarez' generation in Darwin Nunez, Cesar Araujo, Rodrigo Bentancur, Federico Valverde, Facundo Pellistri, Matias Vina, and plenty of other players that are playing in the top 5 Europe/Brazil/etc. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

In the end, this is why we talk about the coach situation. Against CONCACAF Gergg can look good. Put him in the Copa or the World Cup and it's not unreasonable to think the other coaches can coach circles around him. And that's the sad part because yeah, we have our most talented team ever. And I would not be shocked to see him waste it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Are we?

Nope.  You are also missing Giminez (starting CB for Atletico), Torreira (starting DM pit bull for Galatasary), Olivera (Napoli's starting LB) and Ugarte (22 year old DM for Sporting heading to PSG currently valued at 50 million).  The pools aren't even close.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

In the end, this is why we talk about the coach situation. Against CONCACAF Gergg can look good. Put him in the Copa or the World Cup and it's not unreasonable to think the other coaches can coach circles around him. And that's the sad part because yeah, we have our most talented team ever. And I would not be shocked to see him waste it.

Gergg looked like absolute dogshit the last time he was matched up against CONCACAF when he couldn't beat Canada and avoided a play-in game on goal difference in WCQ despite having a roster that some of our fanbase believes is better than Uruguay's.    

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Our fanbase expects that we will be able to succeed in the deep waters of international soccer (e.g., COPA and WC knockout rounds) with a player pool that is at best equal to the opposition and a coach who was openly mocked by the opposing coach the last time he was in this situation.  We desperately needed to buy an advantage in our coaching search and we somehow reapplied the wheel boot we just got rid of.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

15 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the probation was for the puto chant

they have never been disciplined or cited for any behavior on the field or in the stands and it is the shame of the american sports media that they have ignored for the last 25 years

That was what I thought. A friend and I were talking about the game, and he laughed that the chant went back as far as he could remember. The kids grew up learning that’s what you do on a goal kick. And he was raised in San Diego. 
My guess is that the organizers, media, and FIFA don’t want to do anything to jeopardize the cash generated by the Mexico team’s fans

16 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the probation was for the puto chant

they have never been disciplined or cited for any behavior on the field or in the stands and it is the shame of the american sports media that they have ignored for the last 25 years

Uh, didn't they get the FIFA death penalty for ineligible players in some youth tournaments way back in the late 80s (the reason they missed the 1990 World Cup)? Separate from the puto chant, but it's something.

Edited by Captain Ron

you answered your question - they were kicked out of italia 90 for playing overage players in the '88 olympics

not quite the death penalty

and absolutely not a penalty for their on-field behavior, ever, or the behavior of their fans, in the stands, ever, with the exception of the puto chant, which has never actually cost them anything

tri fans have stopped flinging razor blades, urine bags, human feces, and live fireworks in to US supporters sections, that last incidence of any of those took place in houston in '14 or '15

those violations were replaced with the use of green lasers

throwing beers and food/trash on US supporters in the stands and players on the field remains a constant feature of tri games, now even moreso when played in the US, never resulting in arrests, only ejections, and no "safe to enter" list is maintained, despite the incredible profits SUM made from these games, which now accrue direct to the owners of MLS

This person has it right. 

These 6 should NOT be on this team. 

Busio also isn’t deserving right now. 

Ferreira shouldn’t play the #9. He and Mihailovic should share time at the #8/#10 that Gio played in the Nations League.

This should be an Under 26 & Olympic squad mixed together. 

This is a wasted opportunity (again) by US Soccer.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, The Dog said:

11 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Stoked about this.  Dude will get plenty of service at a club like that. 

Just as long as he stays away from the Premier League for another year or two, I’ll be happy. 

He’s developing nicely. He’s 20. He needs to play against lower level competition and do it regularly. I don’t even think that he is ready for the French Ligue 1, much less the other leagues in the Top 5. 

16 hours ago, The Dog said:

14 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

I don't hate the move but is he really going to get more time at Juve than Lille?

13 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Juve need a winger (I believe a right winger) and Lille uses him as a FB. I think this will be good for him and for the USMNT.

I was listening to a podcast in the last 3 days that mentioned that when asked about his future while in Vegas for the Nations League, Timo Weah said that he sees his future at the club level as a Wing Back. 👀

When I heard that, I immediately thought of Juventus’ Juan Cuadrado (Colombia WB with the #11 kit). I knew that Cuadrado was getting old (Wiki says he just turned 34), but he was always in on the attack when I watched Juventus, so I thought that he was the right forward in a 4-3-3 or a RW in a 3-5-2, or whatever Juve plays.

Then just now, I read the posts saying that Weah is going to Juve and I’m psyched.

This is a perfect move for Weah. The 2023/24 year will be a good learning/transition year and then in the 2024/25 season, the position will be Weah’s, Cuadrado will leave, and Juve will bring in Weah’s backup. By the second half of this season, I would expect Weah to start more often than Cuadrado.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

This is the guy.   He is the one that did one of those twitter spaces during the Weston curfew issue and had Balogun scoops.    Honestly, most the stuff I hear is people tweeting out what he says when he does a twitter space. 

yup that was him, thanks!

trolling around his tweets and found this gem:

image.png.bfde257b2661e4f33818b32ab0879526.png