Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

1 hour ago, wood said:

Yeah mine too. I have YTTV, which normally records until the end even when things run late. but for some reason it didn't this time. First time ever. You don't have the option to add time, so oh well. Caught the end on F1TV.

I started watching before it was over and it cut off the end of the race.

I then went back to the library and picked the race and it had the whole thing.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah mine too. I have YTTV, which normally records until the end even when things run late. but for some reason it didn't this time. First time ever. You don't have the option to add time, so oh well. Caught the end on F1TV.

Yep and it's SOP when you have a clear #1 driver. Checo isn't a special case.

YouTube TV here as well. I started 30 min late, used the start from beginning feature, and the "recording" bled over even though the feed changed to ESPN (was ESPN2, right?). I was quite impressed.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

I started watching before it was over and it cut off the end of the race.

I then went back to the library and picked the race and it had the whole thing.

Just went back to my library and picked the original recording, and now it's all there. That's crazy.

12 hours ago, wood said:

Oh and LMAO at George ... "I was forecast a podium". 

Dude really rubs me the wrong way. I'm glad that Hamilton has kind of reset the pecking order this year. Not that Russell was ever the #1, but I think Hamilton needed to remind people that the future isn't now. If someone is going to be competing for world championships in a Mercedes in the coming few years, it's going be someone with his temperament and patience.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Dude really rubs me the wrong way. I'm glad that Hamilton has kind of reset the pecking order this year. Not that Russell was ever the #1, but I think Hamilton needed to remind people that the future isn't now. If someone is going to be competing for world championships in a Mercedes in the coming few years, it's going be someone with his temperament and patience.

"reset the pecking order"?

dude is 57 points ahead of Russell despite Russell having 2 retirements (Lewis finished 2nd and 3rd in those 2 races) and 17th yesterday (that should have been a 3rd retirement) while Lewis finished 6th

i'm no Lewis fan, but they are at a 7/6 split in quali (10/3 in races) but this isn't exactly a huge gap?

image.png.012501a4e0bdf50644582655ba033348.png

one guy is 13 years older than the other guy, how many 40 years olds historically have competed for WDCs? that would be in 2 years. what about how many 39 year olds?

Lewis is great, for sure, but this is pretty much the closest pairing on the grid since GR and LH were on the same team, looking at both quali times and race times (when you could use the f1teammatecomparison app) - and one of the closer teammate comparisons overall. again: Lewis is fucking great but for any 2 drivers on the grid, if they are super close today at 25 and 38, the odds of them still being super close when one guy is 27 and the other guy is 40 is pretty small.

edit: lewis got +18 points in AUS, +15 in CAN and +8 at NED. if you drop those results he still has a +26 point lead in races that they both finished (and Zandvoort)

Edited by NoName

11 minutes ago, G650 said:

I have no idea what you are trying to say

i'm sorry this is confusing?

i am saying that slightly outperforming your teammate, a year after he slightly outperformed you isn't doing much to "reset the pecking order." also, i am saying that the odds of a 40 year old F1 driver competing for WDCs in 2 years is not very high if he is currently about equal with the guy whose 13 years younger than he is.

Ah.

I'd say the odds of George Russell performing at Lewis' level at any point before Lewis retires are vanishingly slim. There's a reason Russell DNFs more than Hamilton, the points are the points, you can't pull the old unskew the polls nonsense.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, G650 said:

Ah.

I'd say the odds of George Russell performing at Lewis' level at any point before Lewis retires are vanishingly slim. There's a reason Russell DNFs more than Hamilton, the points are the points, you can't pull the old unskew the polls nonsense.

Lewis is a master of just not fucking up. I think there was a shunt at Austria last year in qualifying where he went off on his own, and that's it? He gets in battles, gets damage, and somehow never has to retire the car. I remember one race he did go off in the gravel and while everyone else digs a hole, he just gently hits the throttle and was able to rejoin. 

That moment that George had yesterday where he almost spun himself out? LH doesn't have that. 

56 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I seriously don't have anything against British drivers in general, but the three on the grid all rub me the wrong way. Do we count Albon as British or Thai? Cause he's fucking awesome. 

18 minutes ago, G650 said:

Ah.

Hamilton has one of the best DNF rates of a top driver ever. no, seriously it's incredible and i give him a ton of respect for that, which goes back basically his full career. dude is a robot when it comes to not making mistakes.

but...GR literally performed at a higher level over the full season last year. The points are the points, right?

image.thumb.png.bb82aeef035b9a18784d9d23f9c0ca32.png

...or are you one of those people who are going to say something about how Lewis was trying a bunch of stuff and that impacted him negatively compared to GR and how the 2022 WDC results aren't fair for that reason? AKA the points aren't the points?

Look man, I get it. Lewis is one of the best of all time. But again, how many 40 year olds are competing for WDCs? if the expectation is that he is going to outperform a teammate 13 years younger than him in the same car then that is a bridge too far for me.

the whole thing is that it isn't a resetting of the of the pecking order.

over a 1.5 season timeframe including DNFs there is a 22 point gap between the two of them. if you look at races they both finished over 2.5 seasons (1 DNF each last year, 2 DNF for GR and 1 DNF for LH this year) that becomes a dead heat, literally, between the two of them

image.png.56d8b373d89b372ee2ab7db66ac22ded.png

quali is also very close. I think last year was 12/10 in favor of LH and this year is 7/6 for LH as well.

my grander point is if Lewis is so great and GR is just lucky to be there why is he barely outperforming in the same car?

16 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I seriously don't have anything against British drivers in general, but the three on the grid all rub me the wrong way. Do we count Albon as British or Thai? Cause he's fucking awesome. 

i think a lot of it has to do with the announcers who very clearly are pulling for british drivers against everyone and very clearly pulling for Lewis specifically.

Just now, G650 said:

d8f66d222a6e7a670c02af9d89a2d70e2c8881a1

so GR finishes with more points than LH last year = not performing at his level. back out DNFs and they are at a dead heat this year? = not at LH level.

here is a graph, maybe you can read that.

image.png

you say dumb shit, getting it refuted then say "i ain't reading that" is about what i should expect.

Martin Lawrence Goodbye GIF by Martin

Duuuuude, it's a UT message board with an F1 thread. You don't have to go into all that analysis. Shit's simple:

"Lewis is old. George is better."

There's you're argument. This isn't a court of law.

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

Man you are a beating.

don't say dumb shit that is easily refutable then get fired up when your dumb shit is refuted.

it isn't hard.

they are the closest pairing on the grid currently. they are one of the closest pairings on the grid in the last 10? years statistically.

don't be a fanboy and say dumb shit when everything is pretty well known and out there statistically.

it isn't hard.

2 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

This Regazzoni car was just sitting in the store front. It also illustrates just how small the cars used to be compared to the barges they are now.

IMG_6864D.JPG

Man I miss those days so much.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

How much were tickets? 

575 Euros was list for Sunday. I paid a bit more but, it was a vacation so, no bid deal because we got to see Formula 2, Porsche SuperCup and F1. We did not get there early enough for the Formula 3.

I still paid much less than people paid to see Taylor Swift at Heinz Field here this summer.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

575 Euros was list for Sunday.

So $620 US. At Monaco, in a grandstand? Opposite the Pits, with your back to the harbor, right? Equivalent to the Main GS at COTA.

Wow. So yeah, that's crazy.

Main GS for Sunday only at COTA is $1500-5000+ taxes and ticketmaster fees. The cheapest Sunday-only grandstand ticket for the USGP this year is $600 ... and that's at shitty T19. It blows my mind that anyone ever wants to sit there longer than about 5 minutes in GA, much less spend big money for a grandstand there.

The most expensive 2024 Monaco Sunday tickets I can find so far are 860 Euro, and that's through a broker.

Other prices for just Sunday at COTA (of what's left):

T1 is $995-1200+

T4 & shitty T2 are $900-1200+

T6 is $600-910+

T9, & 12 are $700-1000+

T15 is $800-1450+

Edited by wood
  • Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, wood said:

Oh and LMAO at George ... "I was forecast a podium". 

And it seems like something's missing here, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

F4iltYIXcAAIZ6f?format=webp&name=small

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

Apparently Leclerc just pitted before the team told him to.  They were still deciding when he was already on the way in to the pits.

The reason Ferrari weren’t ready is because they were telling Charles to stay out, but he basically said “fuck your strategy, I’m coming in.” They were ready because they were arguing with Charles about coming. If they didn’t fight him on it, or, even exhibited minimal competence and got ready for him just in case, then he would’ve come out of the pits about a second behind Checo. 

Charles had a terrible weekend due to his won faults, but he made the perfect strategy call on his own and against the insistence of his strategy team, and Ferrari still fucked him.

Meanwhile, Checo had his team telling him to come in, they were ready to go, and Checo is in first by lap 2 due to basically none of his own merit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The reason Ferrari weren’t ready is because they were telling Charles to stay out, but he basically said “fuck your strategy, I’m coming in.” They were ready because they were arguing with Charles about coming. If they didn’t fight him on it, or, even exhibited minimal competence and got ready for him just in case, then he would’ve come out of the pits about a second behind Checo. 

Charles had a terrible weekend due to his won faults, but he made the perfect strategy call on his own and against the insistence of his strategy team, and Ferrari still fucked him.

Meanwhile, Checo had his team telling him to come in, they were ready to go, and Checo is in first by lap 2 due to basically none of his own merit. 

He was right, but just showing up in the pits helped create the slow stop.  He knows the team has issues under normal conditions.  Surprising them is probably going to not end well.

Just now, kevwun said:

He was right, but just showing up in the pits helped create the slow stop.  He knows the team has issues under normal conditions.  Surprising them is probably going to not end well.

I guess you didn’t read my post. He didn’t just show up in the pits unannounced. He was telling them for a while he should pit, but they were arguing with him. Even if they didn’t think he should put, they should’ve been readying his tires the second he said he wants to pit. 

He correctly overrode their decision. Even with the slow pit, he was in a way better spot than if he stayed out another lap AND would’ve had to double stack with Sainz. None of it mattered because he already had floor damage, but he absolutely made the right call. It’s not even arguable. 

Yeah me & my kid were saying that everyone shoulda had those tires nearby and ready just based on how close the rain already was ... just in case of whatever crazy shit that might happen in the spur of the moment.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, wood said:

So $620 US. At Monaco, in a grandstand? Opposite the Pits, with your back to the harbor, right? Equivalent to the Main GS at COTA.

Wow. So yeah, that's crazy.

Main GS for Sunday only at COTA is $1500-5000+ taxes and ticketmaster fees. The cheapest Sunday-only grandstand ticket for the USGP this year is $600 ... and that's at shitty T19. It blows my mind that anyone ever wants to sit there longer than about 5 minutes in GA, much less spend big money for a grandstand there.

The most expensive 2024 Monaco Sunday tickets I can find so far are 860 Euro, and that's through a broker.

Other prices for just Sunday at COTA (of what's left):

T1 is $995-1200+

T4 & shitty T2 are $900-1200+

T6 is $600-910+

T9, & 12 are $700-1000+

T15 is $800-1450+

This is whom I bought the tickets from. I didn't look to see if they had tickets for Austin.

https://www.gootickets.com/en/7-formula-1/

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

This is whom I bought the tickets from. I didn't look to see if they had tickets for Austin.

Yes, in a grandstand, with the harbor right behind us.

https://www.gootickets.com/en/7-formula-1/

Oops, I screwed up an edit. My mistake.

Edited by PittsburghTiger