Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

23 minutes ago, G650 said:

Jesus christ McLaren.

F1 teams are so dumb about swapping cars around.  toyota in wec would tell them to swap and expect them to do it.  they'd give the car a couple laps to go off down the track and if it didn't happen they'd get swapped back. 

Edited by elfenix

The reliability and the clean driving this year is something else. I know that there was actually an engine failure and Hamilton crashing out Piastri, but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule. Seeing all those cars go through T1 on the first lap and no one crashing... that's insane.

I think there has to be a better way to punish a guy, Hamilton, who causes an incident like he did today.

Piastri goes way down and Hamilton goes forward.

Those guys behind Alton should have offered gift cards to Albon's crew if he would have let them get around. Hamilton would have not held on to the spot he did.

I admit, I am not, in any way, shape or form, a Hamilton fan but, I have always been consistent in that there should be more consequence when that happens.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I think there has to be a better way to punish a guy, Hamilton, who causes an incident like he did today.

Those guys behind Alton should have offered gift cards to Albon's crew if he would have let them get around. Hamilton would have not held on to the spot he did.

I admit, I am not, in any way, shape or form, a Hamilton fan but, I have always been consistent in that there should be more consequence when that happens.

I really am not a fan of the flat time penalty, never have been. It doesn't really account for all the variables that impact actual results.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Lando passed Piastri on track. They hit tires.

Even As a Hamilton fan, that was a weak penalty. They should have a pit drive through, ala NASCAR, but I’m not sure if that’s safe.

On lap 22 Piastri was P1 and Norris P2. They pitted Norris and left Piastri out to pit on lap 23. Norris was given the undercut and Piastri came out of the pits behind him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

14 hours ago, G650 said:

I really am not a fan of the flat time penalty, never have been. It doesn't really account for all the variables that impact actual results.

X number of positions dropped in the final classification. Been saying it for years. Seems like it'll never change though, sadly, and 5s is basically the default penalty no matter what you do and whether you completely fucked someone's race or not.

And yeah, Albon at the end was absolutely fucking killing me.

Edited by wood

13 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Lando passed Piastri on track. They hit tires.

Even As a Hamilton fan, that was a weak penalty. They should have a pit drive through, ala NASCAR, but I’m not sure if that’s safe.

It's safe if they drive at the speed limit, and yeah, that would be another effective way to penalize people.

1 hour ago, Hawndoh said:

The garage is the equivalent of a luxury box.

It's not like those VIPs are picking up wrenches or anything.

I'm actually fine with VIPs in the garage. It's the parent dynamic that's weird. Seems like Max/Carlos/Sergio parents are always around and then there's some quote they give to the media afterward that causes all sorts of headlines.

Imagine that in football. 

52 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Yeah, well, Stroll is Alonso's teammate so it's a bit less impressive.

Alonso's utter destruction of Stroll really puts into perspective Stroll outscoring Vettel at AM. Or who knows, m aybe it's the other way around.

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'm actually fine with VIPs in the garage. It's the parent dynamic that's weird. Seems like Max/Carlos/Sergio parents are always around and then there's some quote they give to the media afterward that causes all sorts of headlines.

Imagine that in football. 

Sainz’ annoying cousin is the worst

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

I think the quality of the car this year also allows for a good driver to get more out of it.

True, but what I've always heard is that it's when the car is bad that you'll typically see the biggest differences between teammates. I think Stroll's true level, at least in terms of pace, is somewhere between what we're seeing this year and what he's shown in the past vs Vettel. I also think maybe that wrist hurt him more than he's letting on and really hurt him in terms of missing time in testing. He's known for being fairly quick in the wet, but that hasn't shown up at all this year. I've been wondering if that's related to the wrist.