Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

How did Lando go from last to 7th?  Last I was really paying attention, his wing was an anchor and he was going backwards.  Made some breakfast and start paying attention again and he's 7th and held it the last 1/4-1/3 of the race or so.
Apparently Lando doesn't know either:

"Then we put the soft on and everything came back towards us," he explained. "I don't know how I ended up P7. Honestly, I felt like I was last for the most part."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/norris-doesnt-know-how-finished-seventh-in-f1-belgian-gp/10502416/
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, Mittens said:
Am I wrong to want Otmar at Haas?  Steiner is entertaining, but not sure I've ever seen anything that indicates he's a + team principal.

What have you seen to make you think Otmar is a + team principal?

Fair point entirely. Nothing lately but I liked seeing Force India push their way into the Best of the Rest convo while he was there. Just feel like Haas is happy spending money to suck with no real changes made. Not that I’m for the revolving door, but how many principals has Ferrari gone through while Steiner has been at Haas? 3? 4? 

11 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I was involved with dirt track racing for 25 years. Some of the best races I have ever seen have come on half-mile dirt. It can be great, albeit scary, stuff.

100% on all of that. Most of the best racing I've ever seen was on dirt tracks, esp with the Sprint cars and the faster Mod classes. Just sooo good. The first races I ever attended were in West Memphis, Arkansas, at Riverside back in the early 70s. 14 year old Sammy Swindell, Hooker Hood, etc. Definitely made an impression. There were two bad/scary crashes last night. The first was on the 2nd lap of the first race of the night, right in front of us. Modified went up and almost over the fence just past the end of the straight. Within 5 minutes, the guy who caused it was told to pack his shit up and leave. The second was the sprint who last it on the outside of the exit of T3 and flipped end over end 3 or 4 times at high speed. Scary AF. Seems he's still in the hospital but appears to be ok overall. Just pretty banged up. Some people poke fun at these tracks. Mostly people who've never been to them. The racing is fantastic.

devils bowl mod.jpg

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

100% on all of that. Most of the best racing I've ever seen was on dirt tracks, esp with the Sprint cars and the faster Mod classes. Just sooo good. The first races I ever attended were in West Memphis, Arkansas, at Riverside back in the early 70s. 14 year old Sammy Swindell, Hooker Hood, etc. Definitely made an impression. There were two bad/scary crashes last night. The first was on the 2nd lap of the first race of the night, right in front of us. Modified went up and almost over the fence just past the end of the straight. Within 5 minutes, the guy who caused it was told to pack his shit up and leave. The second was the sprint who last it on the outside of the exit of T3 and flipped end over end 3 or 4 times at high speed. Scary AF. Seems he's still in the hospital but appears to be ok overall. Just pretty banged up. Some people poke fun at these tracks. Mostly people who've never been to them. The racing is fantastic.

devils bowl mod.jpg

This was one of the worst things I have ever seen. The push truck driver had his eight, or nine-month pregnant wife in the passenger seat. The thud was frightening. It was scary as fuck. Thankfully, Sammy was eventually fine.

11 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Sainz move was 10x worse than Hamilton. No penalty of course…

11 hours ago, RPM said:

Deserved one, imho. He had to give him room against the wall.

Yeah it definitely deserved a penalty imho, but the old "first lap, so driving standards go out the window" nonsense reared its ugly head again. I've seen the same move on L1 at La Source so many times, and it always ends the same way. Vettel, Sainz, Grosjean iirc, and others blindly cut from the left side of the track straight to the apex, assuming nobody will be there, even thopugh there's almost always gonna be someone there on L1. Stupid. 100% deserves a penalty, but to my knowledge they never penalize it.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, texas08 said:

How the fuck do “identical” cars finish with 25 seconds difference?! Lol.

Shits aren’t the same.

Everything's the same except the most important part - the wheelnut.

5 hours ago, Mittens said:

Am I wrong to want Otmar at Haas?  Steiner is entertaining, but not sure I've ever seen anything that indicates he's a + team principal.

Ottmar to Haas would certainly be in character for that POS team.

6 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Alonzo

Hamilton

Lando

Leclerc

All would probably beat checo in the same Red Bull. Maybe on one weeks notice(IMO)

All those guys would wipe the floor with Checo. He’s been midfield drive this whole career. He’s been pulled up to top teams twice in his career and immediately showed he doesn’t belong both times. 

2 hours ago, texas08 said:

Hamilton yes, Fernando, probably…the last two, not sure.

lol wut. Charles and Lando would wipe the fucking floor with Checo. Checo flat out doesn’t have the pace on 75% of the tracks on the calendar. Russell would beat Checo by a good margin too. Sainz would be closer, but I’d bet Sainz would beat him more times than not. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

lol wut. Charles and Lando would wipe the fucking floor with Checo. Checo flat out doesn’t have the pace on 75% of the tracks on the calendar. Russell would beat Checo by a good margin too. Sainz would be closer, but I’d bet Sainz would beat him more times than not. 

Checo has his strengths for sure but raw pace isn't one of them.

verrrrrrrrrry interested to see what happens with him and his seat between now and the first race next year

"I think I was on the attack with Lewis and pretty much had the move down into turn 1, made the apex cleanly, but unfortunately Oscar was trying to do a bit of an optimistic move on me I think," Sainz said.”

Meanwhile the Germans have blamed Poland for starting WW2…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fastbreak said:

"I think I was on the attack with Lewis and pretty much had the move down into turn 1, made the apex cleanly, but unfortunately Oscar was trying to do a bit of an optimistic move on me I think," Sainz said.”

Meanwhile the Germans have blamed Poland for starting WW2…

lolwut? He misjudged Lewis and locked up trying to avoid him, diving to the right and forcing himself into Piastri well after beginning to brake. He clearly changed his line dramatically in the braking zone.

The good thing is that it seems like almost everyone sees through his lame attempt to blame it on 'rookie inexperience'. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

Look at the years of those top point getters.... I'm less and less convinced that this like is Merc from 8 years ago. This is way more dominant than that.

I guess the real compare is looking at the team level percentage of available points but even with Perez underperforming as bad as he is, I bet the story is the same. 

36 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Look at the years of those top point getters.... I'm less and less convinced that this like is Merc from 8 years ago. This is way more dominant than that.

I guess the real compare is looking at the team level percentage of available points but even with Perez underperforming as bad as he is, I bet the story is the same. 

In terms of a driver dominating his teammate? Yep. Perez is 125 pts behind Max this year so far. Rosberg was only 139 points behind Lewis, combined, for the 4 years they were teammates.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, wood said:

In terms of a driver dominating his teammate? Yep. Perez is 125 pts behind Max this year so far. Rosberg was only 139 points behind Lewis, combined, for the 4 years they were teammates.

In terms of a team dominating the grid is what I was getting at. I'm trying to find that exact chart but at the team level. Curious to see how this RB compares to, for example, the 2015 Merc relative to the rest of the grid.

Max dominating Perez is the proverbial dead horse at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

In terms of a team dominating the grid is what I was getting at. I'm trying to find that exact chart but at the team level. Curious to see how this RB compares to, for example, the 2015 Merc relative to the rest of the grid.

Thanks. OK, so in 2014-2016 Merc pulled down 701, 703, and 765 points respectively and won by around 300 points 3 consecutive years (~40-42% winning margin). Merc's biggest winning margin % was in 2020, at over 44%. Red Bull could eclipse that this year. Probably will, but we'll see after the break I guess. I have no idea how things shake out re: % of possible points though. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

Fred has always been a stone cold killer.

Unfortunately he's ended up making some bad decisions over the years, switching to the wrong teams at the wrong moment.

But if he'd had a little better luck or made a little more savvy decisions over the years, and ended up at the top teams during their peaks, then HE'D be the one we're all tired of, finishing top of the podium week after week.  Is it possible I could ever tire of him the same way I've tired of Lewis and Max?

NAH.  Screw that.  Fred is Fred. :)

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

i posted this yesterday it's exactly what you are looking for i think?

7 minutes ago, G650 said:

I'm surprised there isn't more Schumacher on that list. I basically quit watching for years behind that motherfucker

this made me curious about the gaps, starting in 2000

• 2000: 108 to 89
  • *2001: 126 to 64 (but had 2 retirements, which hurt him % wise i would bet, finished outside the top 2 in his  retirements + 4th at Italy)
  • 2002: 144 to 77 finished outside top 2 one time, 2nd race of the year)
  • 2003: 93 to 91 - wild season, never looked at it race by race but Kimi losing by 2 points with 3 retirements must have been really tough
  • *2004: 148 to 114 (1 retirement, finished 12th in China and 7th at Brazil, finished 1 or 2 the rest of the way)

1 hour ago, NoName said:

i posted this yesterday it's exactly what you are looking for i think?

That at the team level is what I'm looking for. So this year, when you look at Max + Perez vs total possible points (1st + 2nd + fastest lap + sprint 1/2), what is their percentage at combined vs what other cars have done in years past.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Fred has always been a stone cold killer.

Unfortunately he's ended up making some bad decisions over the years, switching to the wrong teams at the wrong moment.

But if he'd had a little better luck or made a little more savvy decisions over the years, and ended up at the top teams during their peaks, then HE'D be the one we're all tired of, finishing top of the podium week after week.  Is it possible I could ever tire of him the same way I've tired of Lewis and Max?

NAH.  Screw that.  Fred is Fred. :)

It was much more about luck than savvy.

11 minutes ago, wood said:

Costco today ...

cota costco.jpeg

No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I'll be honest, I'm not planning jack squat until I see for sure that this heat is dead and gone. I know it's late October, but my mind can't wrap around it being anything other than 105 degrees until it's not any more.

Also, I don't wanna pay $350 to see Max push all the other teams into their locker. Especially not at COTA.

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I'll be honest, I'm not planning jack squat until I see for sure that this heat is dead and gone. I know it's late October, but my mind can't wrap around it being anything other than 105 degrees until it's not any more.

Also, I don't wanna pay $350 to see Max push all the other teams into their locker. Especially not at COTA.

But ... $350 is a 'bargain' compared to the $475 regular price, & no TM fees, either! 

(j/k. No way I'm paying even $350 either)

1 hour ago, wood said:

But ... $350 is a 'bargain' compared to the $475 regular price, & no TM fees, either! 

(j/k. No way I'm paying even $350 either)

Stub hub already has GA tickets for less than face value and a Sunday only ticket is below $300 on there. I expect those prices to keep tumbling as we get closer to the race. 

2 minutes ago, Levi said:

SIAP, but is this even legal? 

Some of the Autosport AT guys are rubbishing it, saying it'll just be components, and that AT will still have to do its own aero work. Who knows though? Could be cool for Danny. They also say they'll have a new sponsor. Hugo Boss?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, wood said:

Some of the Autosport AT guys are rubbishing it, saying it'll just be components, and that AT will still have to do its own aero work. Who knows though? Could be cool for Danny. They also say they'll have a new sponsor. Hugo Boss?

Hugo Boss Bulls Racing

10 hours ago, wood said:

i thought they closed that loophole a few years ago and that they would have to go the Ferrari --> Haas route of buying everything they can off the shelf from them, then doing the rest on their own?

3 hours ago, NoName said:

i thought they closed that loophole a few years ago and that they would have to go the Ferrari --> Haas route of buying everything they can off the shelf from them, then doing the rest on their own?

Yeah, afaik.  I think that's basically what the Autosport guys are saying.

8 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I mean, F1 is doing just fine. There will be a ton of people there. This isn’t the gotcha she thinks it is.

Yeah it'll be another very good crowd, I'm sure. GPFans is weak at best. I saw that one when I went there to read a story titled "Alonso hints at potential DETERIORATION in Aston Martin relationship"  ...  in which there was nothing but positive talk from Alonso about the team, the Strolls, their progress, their goals, etc, etc, and not even a hint of a hint of a deteriorating relationship.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I mean, F1 is doing just fine. There will be a ton of people there. This isn’t the gotcha she thinks it is.

Yeah, it's going to be at least a near-record crowd... again...  and crowded as shit.

I guess you could try to use the Costco sales thing as a flex on the cheap-ass price, except... those aren't cheap-ass tickets.

Weird attempt at a gotcha.

Edited by utee94