Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

Heaven forbid Lewis Hamilton get penalized for slamming into someone he wants to pass and knocking them out of the race. They should have awarded him 1st because after all, he's Lewis Hamilton.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, RPM said:
Heaven forbid Lewis Hamilton get penalized for slamming into someone he wants to pass and knocking them out of the race. They should have awarded him 1st because after all, he's Lewis Hamilton.

You saw something different than i did.

I saw Lewis Hamilton being Lewis Hamilton.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

I thought that was a pretty ticky tack foul on Lewis.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

57 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, RPM said:

You saw something different than i did.

22 minutes ago, RPM said:

I saw Lewis Hamilton being Lewis Hamilton.

I thought it was a legitimate penalty.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I thought it was a legitimate penalty.

Lol. Whoever chose that screengrab as the YT video thumbnail knew what they were doing. Makes it look like LH went full demolition derby out there. 

I think he definitely left it wide to squeeze out Checo, but it wasn't some dirty move to me. Deserved the penalty, and we move on. Glad to see hard racing out there, honestly. With Max's dominance, this year's been a bit dry.

32 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Another win for sprint weekends. So much better than 3 practice rounds. Especially in this weather where teams would have done 7 laps a session due to rain. 

Sorry stalwarts, moar sprint weekends. 

*But swap the damn Q session days. It’s common sense. 

I've been watching since the 80s so I guess I'm one of the "stalwarts" but it's not like the 3 FPs and knockout qualifying 4th session go back 100 years or something.  The sport is constantly evolving and trying to stay relevant and entertaining.  And I dig the sprint weekends, change can be good!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Lol. Whoever chose that screengrab as the YT video thumbnail knew what they were doing. Makes it look like LH went full demolition derby out there. 

I think he definitely left it wide to squeeze out Checo, but it wasn't some dirty move to me. Deserved the penalty, and we move on. Glad to see hard racing out there, honestly. With Max's dominance, this year's been a bit dry.

I'm not thinking he went Demo-Derby on him but, I think you see him have his right tires over the curb, and then he comes back out and hits Perez. I don't think (and I'm not sure I saw anyone else saying he was) he was doing anything dirty but, I do think it was worth a penalty.

Dumb penalty. They were wheel to wheel racing on a wet track. Cars are gonna touch. If you want racing action, you can’t take into account the consequence of an action. The next 10 seconds of racing, Perez was in front. They were racing.

“Rubbin is racin!!”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Why is he on his 5th gearbox? Usually you replace it after a crash. There is something super fishy. This isn’t a video game. He is going to lap more than half the field.

16 hours ago, kevwun said:

They’ve had issues with the gearbox all year.  It’s the main thing he’s complained about.

15 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Wasn't this their primary issue even last year? I feel like Max complained about how it shifted even during his battle with Lewis two years ago. Everything seems to be top notch on that car except the gearbox. 

Yeah I can't remember the specifics but the orientation they decided on for the gearbox this year, to best fit with thyeir aero/floor/engine packaging philosophy required a complete redesign of the gearbox. It's been problematic all year. re: the theories about RBR somehow wanting to slow Perez down, I just don't see what they'd gain from it. Doesn't make sense. Teams want both of their cars doing well, esp teams on the sharp end.

14 hours ago, elfenix said:

F1 uses the main pits.  at a place like spa where there's a lot more pits on the other side i imagine the jr. formulas are in those.  in other places like COTA F1 is in the main pit building and the other classes have a tent city elsewhere. 

Right. I'd only add that at many tracks, like COTA, F1 owns the Paddock/Garages/Pit Building, but the support series get to use the same pits during their sessions, then return everything to the support paddock afterward.

9 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Another win for sprint weekends. So much better than 3 practice rounds. Especially in this weather where teams would have done 7 laps a session due to rain. 

Sorry stalwarts, moar sprint weekends. 

*But swap the damn Q session days. It’s common sense. 

No worries. They read my posts over on Autosport, and I put 'em on the right track for next year:

Friday: FP1 & Sprint Q. Saturday: Sprint, then GP Q. Sunday: GP.

Let's just hope they get Parc Ferme right - by lifting Parc Ferme & allowing the teams to change setups, etc, between the Sprint and GP Q on Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

“Rubbin is racin!!”

This ain't NASCAR. No way Lewis did it on purpose, but that deserves a penalty and will get one almost every time. He was the overtaking car. He has the responsibility of doing so without causing contact ... and he caused the rather significant contact. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Was ridiculous penalty. Was a racing move. Sometimes shit happens at 200mph

If they allow that as a way out, then hardly anything will be a penalty. Most of these guys are among the best in the world, but sometimes even the best make mistakes, like Alonso today, and Lewis. Sometimes they're mistakes that are going to draw penalties. They're human. Doesn't mean there should be no penalty.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

BTW OT, went to see sprint cars & mods race tonight at Devil's Bowl. Awesome facility. Always wanted to go there, but it's so damn far from Austin. Got some video of a really wild end-over-end sprint car crash that I was gonna show y'all - until the guy had to be airlifted out. Gonna hold back on posting it anywhere until I know more about his condition. 

If any of you live anywhere near Mesquite, I strongly recommend checking out some of the best racing you'll ever see, at a great venue.

4 hours ago, wood said:

BTW OT, went to see sprint cars & mods race tonight at Devil's Bowl. Awesome facility. Always wanted to go there, but it's so damn far from Austin. Got some video of a really wild end-over-end sprint car crash that I was gonna show y'all - until the guy had to be airlifted out. Gonna hold back on posting it anywhere until I know more about his condition. 

If any of you live anywhere near Mesquite, I strongly recommend checking out some of the best racing you'll ever see, at a great venue.

I was involved with dirt track racing for 25 years. Some of the best races I have ever seen have come on half-mile dirt. It can be great, albeit scary, stuff.

Just now, Fastbreak said:

Max should have to start from the pit lane gif the rest of the season to make it more of a challenge

I actually like Max, but I was rooting hard for the other two cars remaining on the track in Q2 to bump him out. He probably still wins from 16th (with the grid penalty), but it would have been a hell of a lot more fun to watch.

Perez has been extremely disappointing all year, and the Constructor's Standings are still a literal joke. Red Bull has more than doubled Mercedes' points through 12 races. The gap is wider between 1-2 (Mercedes) than it is from 2-10 (AlphaTauri).

How did Lando go from last to 7th?  Last I was really paying attention, his wing was an anchor and he was going backwards.  Made some breakfast and start paying attention again and he's 7th and held it the last 1/4-1/3 of the race or so.

2 minutes ago, texas08 said:

How the fuck do “identical” cars finish with 25 seconds difference?! Lol.

Shits aren’t the same.

Buen trabajo Chequito.

Yeah man, Red Bull doesn't need to alter the cars for Max to finish in front of Checo every week. He's just that much better and more in tune with the car. It serves no purpose for Red Bull to field a different, slower car.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Mittens said:

How did Lando go from last to 7th?  Last I was really paying attention, his wing was an anchor and he was going backwards.  Made some breakfast and start paying attention again and he's 7th and held it the last 1/4-1/3 of the race or so.

Makes me sad that we didn’t get to see Oscar. Could have had another solid finish from McLaren before summer break. 

What was the stat from last year where max led for 40+ laps and the delta per lap was less than half a second per? There was a graphic of it. Point is, he’s a fucking consistency machine which certainly helps preserve your rubber.

Found it. This dude is a fucking machine. This train isn’t stopping anytime soon.

8bd9a38ff3ca5811c50f3898987f6c57.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1