Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

22 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, it's going to be at least a near-record crowd... again...  and crowded as shit.

I guess you could try to use the Costco sales thing as a flex on the cheap-ass price, except... those aren't cheap-ass tickets.

Weird attempt at a gotcha.

Not cheap by any means - or not cheap enough - but a lot cheaper than the $550-ish for COTA's price plus TM fees and taxes.  I do think that like last year's crowd,  this year's crowd will likely decline again (though they won't admit it). There a lot of unsold seats in the T2, 4, and 6 GSs.

Edited by wood

2 hours ago, Mittens said:

Entire country has been in a heat wave/drought for 2 months and it rains the weekend I go to a race. 

image.thumb.jpeg.7718d2f8246d332e918b6a1efea1cb29.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3a49ea213e015ce35c606eff39fe5c27.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.79a863494940a40ccba7bbfd904e8593.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.efcc41c7f9154752d31cd08d29c16565.jpeg

Looks like fun! We just broke our previous record of consecutive 27 100+ degree days. 29 and counting, with the next 10+ days forecast to be around 105. Wanna trade places? ;)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, utee94 said:

I guess you could try to use the Costco sales thing as a flex on the cheap-ass price, except... those aren't cheap-ass tickets.

Weird attempt at a gotcha.

Compared to what they are trying to do to Las Vegas it's incredibly cheap.

22 hours ago, wood said:

Not cheap by any means - or not cheap enough - but a lot cheaper than the $550-ish for COTA's price plus TM fees and taxes.  I do think that like last year's crowd,  this year's crowd will likely decline again (though they won't admit it). There a lot of unsold seats in the T2, 4, and 6 GSs.

Good, it's been way too crowded the past 2 years.  I'd love to see the crowds get back to pre-pandemic levels.  That was nice and easy.

1 minute ago, RPM said:

Compared to what they are trying to do to Las Vegas it's incredibly cheap.

Everything is cheap compared to Vegas.  But even the Costco tickets for COTA are expensive compared to lots of other races on the Calendar, which is what makes it such an awkward flex.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, wood said:

Looks like fun! We just broke our previous record of consecutive 27 100+ degree days. 29 and counting, with the next 10+ days forecast to be around 105. Wanna trade places? ;)

I live in Austin so I’m well aware of the inferno. Sister has a client sponsoring at the race, so we’re in VIP w/ AC. Hop outside to check out the racing for a bit and then right back inside.

image.thumb.jpeg.1af1ae17adc536275333fda6d9e9d621.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.49f85d74954009dddca699a47759dd3d.jpeg

No idea if the vids will show up…

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Is there any numbers behind Max and when he can win the WDC? I assume we're talking something like Japan in late September?

there was a really good reddit post on this, but you are likely right based on the ESPN article and what i remember about that reddit post i can't find.

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/38074326/how-early-red-hot-max-verstappen-win-f1-drivers-title

I don't think I care that much, but it seems to be a big component of making an effective race car, so why not have that be a factor in qualifying? But really as long as everyone has to follow the same rules, it's whatever.

Trying to frame it as hurting Red Bull so much seems weird. Don't they have the fastest straight line speed even without DRS? 

Maybe instead of going to COTA this year, I might just track social media and see about pop-up events downtown. I think that Williams did something last year where you could meet drivers, had a car on display, and get swag. I know McLaren did it a few years back. Might be fun to do that instead of battling the crowds.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I don't think I care that much, but it seems to be a big component of making an effective race car, so why not have that be a factor in qualifying? But really as long as everyone has to follow the same rules, it's whatever.

Trying to frame it as hurting Red Bull so much seems weird. Don't they have the fastest straight line speed even without DRS? 

Red Bull has been proven to have by far the most effective DRS, so that rule change would be an effective way to nerf RB compared to the rest of the field. Not that it will change the outcome of races, but having other teams get pole and making RB pass some cars would generate some additional excitement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, utee94 said:

They've got it half-right.  Next step, eliminate DRS in the race as well as in qualifying, and then you really have something.

I'm all for eliminating DRS, but the way F1 is going, they're more likely to just eliminate it for the Bulls and leave it for everyone else. These guys ...

I say there should be special areas on track the cars can drive over. When they drive over the spots, they are rewarded with special power ups they can then use to their advantage against other cars on track. Let's see how dominate Max is when he is spun out by Leclerc with a banana peel on parabolica. 

11 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I say there should be special areas on track the cars can drive over. When they drive over the spots, they are rewarded with special power ups they can then use to their advantage against other cars on track. Let's see how dominate Max is when he is spun out by Leclerc with a banana peel on parabolica. 

Might as well. I mean ... that's the direction they're taking the sport anyway.

You really gonna arm sargeant with a bullet bill or spiked shell powerup?

54 minutes ago, deft said:

You really gonna arm sargeant with a bullet bill or spiked shell powerup?

Ferrari would end up accidently having one driver hit another with a red turtle shell.

4 hours ago, NoName said:

when it's been around for 12 years and you are talking about making changes IN SEASON to something like this you are doing it wrong.

Yep. In-season rule changes, tire changes, etc have always been one of the worst things about F1. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Maybe they are just assuming this season is already over (spoiler: it is) and decided to use the rest of the season to test new ideas.

Well then I wanna see some freaking 6-wheeled cars get rolled out.  Let's turn this mutha out!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So since it's the offseason, I watched a 10 minute highlight replay of the 1984 Grand Prix in Dallas. Holy shit, the sport has come a long way. What a shitshow.

For one, they were just setup under tents in the pits. Second, they ran it on July 9, 1984 when it was 100 degrees. The track was literally coming apart when they put last-minute in patches in corners. Nigel Mansell's car stopped just before the finish line and he started to push it over the line and collapsed. Cars would die and they literally just parked them on the side of the track and kept the race going. Shit was wild. 

I remember in one video seeing a guy in a hot pit wearing cutoff jean shorts & no shirt. Fire, shmire. Nige falling down so dramatically at the end always cracks me up.

Remember, WEC is coming back here next year on what I've read is another one-year deal while they negotiate with Indy. On September 1. I really don't think they know what they've gotten themselves into. 

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Haas is apparently still selling banned things to Russia.  He's going to end up being forced to sell the team if he's not real careful

giphy.gif

That'd be a got damn shame if they had to sell their entry to Andretti ... but then again Alpine might beat him to it.

• Hook 'Em 3

Offseason sucks, so I just looked up the price for Aussie Supercars Superview video access - live streaming, full races & qualifying on demand, etc.

https://www.supercars.com/superview/

$29.99 Australian, which is $19.47 US for the season. Yes please. That's crazy cheap, and I thought I'd mention it to y'all in case you'd like to see some of the best racing on the planet. On a related note, I've been saying for years that NASCAR should try to emulate some of what V8SC does. Now they're starting to do it and it seems to be a hit so far. Hope it continues to work. I love it! Go SVG in NASCAR and Scotty Mac in IndyCar!