Oklahoma Recruiting 2024: Sunken Eyes and Licking Lips

Constant

1 hour ago, statsman said:

I’ve added to my guilty pleasure of reading Sooner sites. I also listened to a couple of podcasts. This is what they claim, and I’m curious as to other opinions of their accuracy. 
1. They are frustrated with the modern state of the game. “It’s out of control. Something must be done”. 
2. NIL seems to be a problem for them. They say that OU can get the money, but Brent wants to build a program on “relationships”, rather than “transactions”. 
3. They say OU can get the money; it struggles in organizing the collectives and making the “ask”. 
4. They want the NCAA to step in and regulate this. They think NIL really should just be compensation for promotions, and not pay for play. They also allow that there are probably a couple of key players on each team that deserve significant high six figure pay (you figure that one out).

5. They are bringing guys like Curtis Loftin and Mark Clayton in to work personnel staff “GM” and recruiting coordinator positions. 

My thoughts:

Are you kidding me? The NCAA? Do they really think that’s still a thing? Hell, they started the dumping of the NCAA in football, with UGA, in the ‘80s. 

Then, I figured it out. They may never have been real supporters of the NCAA, but it filled a real function for them, for decades. The NCAA had rules, and their key rivals, UT and NU, followed them. This was a huge part of their success. If Texas had bid for players against Switzer, he would never have won a single MNC. But Texas didn’t, and OU could pay a key recruit $150k to sign, no $30k per year, and Boomer Sooner. 

Now, Texas’ boosters are funding NIL, and OU is struggling to keep up. They want the NCAA to step in, and regulate Texas, so they can get back to the good old ways. 

There is probably a lot of truth in what you say. Tons of schools profited on the big boys like Texas, USC, Georgia, etc running cleanish programs while they were able to load up what resources they had to outbid for key recruits. But honestly, if this is their mindset already then they very well may become the next Nebraska. Unable to compete and adjust in changing times. Anyone thinking the NCAA is going to do anything but implode into itself like the dying star it is has already lost.

• Hook 'Em 4

I’ve added to my guilty pleasure of reading Sooner sites. I also listened to a couple of podcasts. This is what they claim, and I’m curious as to other opinions of their accuracy. 
1. They are frustrated with the modern state of the game. “It’s out of control. Something must be done”. 
2. NIL seems to be a problem for them. They say that OU can get the money, but Brent wants to build a program on “relationships”, rather than “transactions”. 
3. They say OU can get the money; it struggles in organizing the collectives and making the “ask”. 
4. They want the NCAA to step in and regulate this. They think NIL really should just be compensation for promotions, and not pay for play. They also allow that there are probably a couple of key players on each team that deserve significant high six figure pay (you figure that one out).
5. They are bringing guys like Curtis Loftin and Mark Clayton in to work personnel staff “GM” and recruiting coordinator positions. 

My thoughts:
Are you kidding me? The NCAA? Do they really think that’s still a thing? Hell, they started the dumping of the NCAA in football, with UGA, in the ‘80s. 

Then, I figured it out. They may never have been real supporters of the NCAA, but it filled a real function for them, for decades. The NCAA had rules, and their key rivals, UT and NU, followed them. This was a huge part of their success. If Texas had bid for players against Switzer, he would never have won a single MNC. But Texas didn’t, and OU could pay a key recruit $150k to sign, no $30k per year, and Boomer Sooner. 

Now, Texas’ boosters are funding NIL, and OU is struggling to keep up. They want the NCAA to step in, and regulate Texas, so they can get back to the good old ways. 

So I’m reading “FUCK 0u”
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Tons of schools profited on the big boys like Texas, USC, Georgia, etc running cleanish programs

Your points still stands, but picking two obvious abusers of the system like USC and Georgia makes it sounds like you’re trying to undermine your own argument.  

Neither Georgia or USC is “cleanish”, frankly  OU during the Stoops era is a better comparison to UT (although theirs I think is accidental-they’ve been chasing university prestige and don’t have institutional support for the bag game, particularly after Stoops won a championship with Blake’s players).  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Your points still stands, but picking two obvious abusers of the system like USC and Georgia makes it sounds like you’re trying to undermine your own argument.  

Neither Georgia or USC is “cleanish”, frankly  OU during the Stoops era is a better comparison to UT (although theirs I think is accidental-they’ve been chasing university prestige and don’t have institutional support for the bag game, particularly after Stoops won a championship with Blake’s players).  

Neither were clean, but what they did paled in comparison to what they were capable of, which is maybe a better way to say it. Texas isn't a total boy scout either if we are being honest, but admittedly far cleaner than those two. We only really flexed on the B12 the last 2 years, and we see how fast we turned shit around and reminded the also ran programs like Iowa State, Baylor, and K State who the fuck daddy was.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I'm not sure Nebraska should be included as a law abiding program, either. 

As far as I know, they weren’t investigated or penalized by the NCAA, when the NCAA was doing such things. OU, TAMU, and SMU were, many times. 

7 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

It's so hilarious. Go to their boards and we are the ones who are cheating.

As I understand it, our problem is that…we are paying players from a booster-funded collective and calling it NIL. Now, they are doing the same thing, but with not as much money. They think the amounts we (and Oregon and Ole Miss and Missouri and Tennessee) are paying should be limited to a reasonable level (the amount they can afford). 

Do they not realize how much their program was rebuilt, in the ‘70s and ‘80s, on blatant cheating and buying of players? Aww, that was just Barry and the boys being rascals. 

47 minutes ago, statsman said:

As far as I know, they weren’t investigated or penalized by the NCAA, when the NCAA was doing such things. OU, TAMU, and SMU were, many times. 

Maybe they weren't investigated, and this was before my time, but my understanding is that Osborne wasn't that dissimilar to Switzer.

Edited by BigHorn'13

15 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Maybe they weren't investigated, and this was before my time, but my understanding is that Osborne wasn't that dissimilar to Switzer.

This wasn’t before my time. Osborne had his flaws, but he was nothing like Switzer. 

Both OU and NU ran option based offenses, and both needed elite talent to compete at the highest levels. Switzer bought his talent on the open market. 

Nebraska ran the nation’s premiere S&C program, more knowledgeable about weight training than any other. (There may have been PEDs; their knowledge carried over to using them and beating the testing). They had an amazing walk on program to maximize the screening and vetting of every two star in the state, sifting for gold and then beefing it up. That’s how they built their lines. 

For speed, they recruited the south, and were happy to take on partial qualifiers and keep them eligible. 

Osborne actually knew how to coach. Switzer was just a glad hander. His forays into “real coaching” (recruiting Aikman and running the pro style “I”, getting tough with Marcus Dupree) usually met with failure. Switzer had good coordinators (Galen Hall and Gary Gibbs were coaching “lifers”), but himself? A shyster. 

Edited by statsman

15 hours ago, statsman said:

image.jpeg.443f77e969cbf094b8c78ac7a024e293.jpeg

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

From Sooner Scoop, on Damonic Williams -

Like Lole, Williams enjoyed his weekend with the Sooners. One source said that Brent Venables is “the ideal coach” for Williams, who wants to play in a scheme like Oklahoma’s. Williams and his mom really connected with defensive line coach Todd Bates. And on the NIL side of things, there were no issues there. But as Williams’ recruitment continues, one has to wonder if his price will go up. 

It certainly felt like OU had a chance to land Williams this weekend, but that won’t be the case. Williams — as expected from the start — wants to take other visits. He will be at Texas on Tuesday and Wednesday. He has since canceled his trip to Colorado and will instead visit Missouri this coming weekend. And then he will visit LSU. There is also still a chance he will visit Oregon. 

OU tried to close the deal Sunday afternoon. Williams did not leave Norman until 7 p.m. And the Sooners won’t stop recruiting Williams. He remains their top priority. But Oklahoma also knows it can’t wait forever. And if Williams doesn’t make a decision in the next week or so, or if things start trending in a different direction, OU could start keying in on other defensive tackles. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry had an interesting comment this morning regarding Williams on OTF.

Can you not do stupid shit like this? What is it going to take? Do we need to just neg bomb you every time you pull this kind of stunt? The only way you add value here is when you provide information that you've weaseled or whittled your way into, source it, and fail to add your own thoughts. That almost counterbalances all of the other queenish shit like this that you bring to the table. Almost.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, statsman said:

From Sooner Scoop, on Damonic Williams -

If this were Tarp or one of the other Aggy $9.95ers, we'd know that:

1. The coach had begged him to sign and not take other visits, but he said no
2. He is looking for a bigger bag, but they are too poor
3. OU is out of it

Not sure if the OU insiders have the same proclivity about lying to their fanbases

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Can you not do stupid shit like this? What is it going to take? Do we need to just neg bomb you every time you pull this kind of stunt? The only way you add value here is when you provide information that you've weaseled or whittled your way into, source it, and fail to add your own thoughts. That almost counterbalances all of the other queenish shit like this that you bring to the table. Almost.  

OR you can go watch the fucking video and find it yourself while also fucking off.

28 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry had an interesting comment this morning regarding Williams on OTF.

I don't care about the in-fighting and drama between posters. It's the internet. I, like most, come here for information and wade through the drama.

But Jesus Christ, you know better than to post shit like this. 

"Hey guys, there's something interesting on the internet!!!"

That's basically your post. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 3

On 2/24/2024 at 6:23 PM, statsman said:

My thoughts:

I'm sorry, did you just say that Nebraska followed the rules? Sure, this post is from late Februrary, but still...

WeAreLaughing.gif

Edited by SydneyCarton

- Gerry said he didn't agree with Oklahoma's optimism regarding landing Damonic Williams

- Bobby then referred to Gerry putting Texas' chances of landing Williams at 51% (BOW posted the text blurb on this from OTF, in the Texas thread)

- Damonic's (still) expected to visit Texas Tue/Wed

Me?

- I want Toia

- I want Damonic W

- I want the Mich DTs

- and I want Bill Norton.  At DT.  Or to manage Accounts Receivable.  With his characteristic efficiency and panache.

• Hook 'Em 6