WC day 4

Hagbard Celine

Just now, Napoleon said:

I don't think that the kick was going in, but I think that it would have bounced down hard in front of the goal and then been a problem with a high bounce after that with some tall German coming in for the header.

They need to stop attacking the middle on the ground and start taking it to the wings and crossing it into the tall guys. Mexico will counter with a breakaway every time, but they are running themselves out.

Like that.

1 minute ago, IPoopOnWhoop said:

This is the exact type of game that shows how stupid Germany was to leave out Sane.  Everyone on the field looks so much slower than the Mexican players.  They are in some real trouble unless they can control the ball for 70% of the 2nd half.  

Or just don’t push 9 men forward with your old, slow CBs as the only guys back to defend. Kimmich is basically playing as a winger at RB.

4 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

German needs a burst of youthful energy, they should be much better when they bring Leroy Sane off the bench in the second ha... oh wait.

Yeah, fuck that shit about him not yet fitting into the system. They need energy right now, and he could bring it. 

What a half. I’ve had a plate of food in front of me for an hour and I haven’t touch it. I’m sooo nervous. 

I don’t know what to think, too good to be true. 

¡Vamos México!

Edited by JNip

20 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

that free kick was going in if it hadnt been deflected

16 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I don't think that the kick was going in, but I think that it would have bounced down hard in front of the goal and then been a problem with a high bounce after that with some tall German coming in for the header.

After watching that free kick's replay from behind the ball on the halftime show, I now think that the ball was going to go in.

Nice save by Ochoa.

PS- Walmart Commercial: I love how all of the people have typical "Latin coloring" from the various countries- Mexico, Argentina, maybe Colombia in the longer version... and then they get to Brazil (in the longer version) and it is a tall, slim-hipped Blonde lady who looks to be of Central/Northern European descent (possibly far north Italy) and she and all of her friends are white as can be.

Soooooo Miami. Brazilians with money coming to Miami to escape the craziness of daily life in Brazil. (Insert nearly every other Latin American country if you'd like, but the Brazilian one is funny.)

Watching this with my wife, who is from Mexico, all I can think about is my seething discontent for the USMNT and how they have deprived me of my World cup experience. I am disgusted by them and hope they all are replaced. They can keep Pulisic I guess.

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

These country managers are always outsmarting themselves. Sane doesn't fit into your system. You need to reconfigure your system then. 

It's the apex of arrogance.  We're not taking one of the most talented players in the country because he doesn't fit in with what I, I, I want to do.

I’m not enough of a soccer fan to hate Mexico full time. They are working Germany over pretty good, but using a lot of energy to do it. I wonder if they can go that hard for another half. 

The guy that scored is playing the left side, but seems to always want the ball on his right foot. Gave up several decent shot opportunities to go to his right. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

19 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

German needs a burst of youthful energy, they should be much better when they bring Leroy Sane off the bench in the second ha... oh wait.

14 minutes ago, Woodrow Call said:

Yeah, fuck that shit about him not yet fitting into the system. They need energy right now, and he could bring it. 

They can just put in Julian Brandt. It's not like he is slow just because he isn't Sane.

Also, Kimmich always plays as a winger RB, so the fact that he is playing his normal position isn't really that surprising.

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m not enough of a soccer fan to hate Mexico full time. They are working Germany over pretty good, but using a lot of energy to do it. I wonder if they can go that hard for another half. 

They might not have to as old as Germany is looking out there.

1 minute ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I dont see any chance that Germany wins today.   I can see them getting a tie.  But honestly Mexico should be up 3-0 right now if that left winger had any ability to shoot with his left foot

Yeah, they could have easily had 2. Maybe 3. I'm definitely worried. 

Another dive by Kimmich, but this one was rewarded, but in general, this ref has been great.

Layún continues to kick sky balls, but in this case, it was needed.

Mexico blows yet another fast break. 

I was not expecting a match nearly this exciting. And although I knew that Hummels & Boatang were old and slow, I didn't expect them to look quite this bad. I have a feeling that Bayern is going to watch this match and start looking to buy CBs.