Iceland - One day in Reykjavik

Thetexashammer

Background: Cheapest flight to Spain is on "WOW" Airlines (I thought that was some kind of joke) with a ten hour layover in Reykjavik. Arrive at 5AM, leave 3PM. I looked at the city is tiny, airport two miles from downtown. Walla! I cross Iceland off the list. OK not the whole country but one of the cities.

It makes total sense as far as a wasted day because of jet lag. We get there, sun is up and it's 45 degrees. Get breakfast at Sandholt. Wander around. Eat some food. Fly out that afternoon. 

So, last I remember, it seemed like everyone on Shaggy had been to Iceland. What should I do for the day? It'll be a Sunday. Never been to Scandinavia. Anybody ever flown "WOW" Airlines, is it terrible? 

Reykjavik is small, yes, but the airport is a good 30-40 mins out. Good news is that you have time to see the main sights:

Laugevegar Street - all the shops, bars, coffee shops, and restaurants are here

Hallgrimskirkja Church - the primary landmark, a short walk up the hill from Laugevegar

In the other direction, walk towards the water and down to the Harpa Concert Hall. Have an Icelandic hot dog from Pylsur - Clinton, Bourdain and others have been. Then walk along the water over to the Steel Boat Sculpture.

Blue Lagoon is nice but mad touristy - and prepare yourself for lots of Asian and Euro Wang in the public showers 

Reyk and Kef both have an airport.  Find out which one you're going to.  If you're going to Reyk, then you can see the city and do all the touristy shit.  If you're landing at Kef, then it's a ~45 min drive to Reyk.  In that case, you'll literally pass the Blue Lagoon on the way, so I'd recommend that.  Is it full of tourists?  Yes.  Is it cool to drink a beer at a swim up bar in a natural lake heated by lava while snow is falling on you?  Fuck yes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Breakfast at https://sandholt.is/

Lunch probably at http://www.fiskmarkadurinn.is/

I'm dying to try the Minke Whale. GET IN MA BELLY!!!!

No mockery for the cheap flight? Wife was pissed. I prefer to "invest" the money into food.

Most people visit Iceland due to the cheap promos out of BOS/NY and/or the free layover onward to Europe.

Plus, all the money will be burnt when there.  Place is not cheap....

22 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Damn, I thought I saw it was only like three miles. Still good, but that's over an hour gone. Shit I was looking at the domestic airport. Damn. Still should be fun though.

Going in a few weeks. It’s about $120 each way from KEF to downtown in a taxi...FYI

Stick to the BL. That’s not cheap either, but it’s your best option with 10 hours. You do know that you can stay for up to 7 days for free on WOW as a stopover, right? Let me know how they were. Have seen mixed reports.

It does look like there is a bus into town. I think I'd like to explore the town more than soak. I really want the food experience. Sounds like it will be not as good as I expected. But still good. It was going to be a wasted day anyway because of the time change. 

I heard that about WOW, but can't take advantage this time. Maybe next time.

On 6/20/2018 at 4:43 AM, 52-80 said:

If the lagoon is open , go there, have a soak, get back to aeroport

i spent a week there earlier this year.  if i was doing it again and had just one day, this would be my plan

view from lagoon

IMG_IL0217_zpsd7cr4rha.jpg

Edited by Jack Straw
pic
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2018 at 12:53 PM, kopp0e said:

Some things that are considered a "delicacy" would take a bit of getting used to... (but is probably the same as me eating some hot dogs at the cookout)...

the way i described it when i tried it was "it tastes like what i imagine ammonia and piss combined in a cup would taste like if you drank it."

the waitress at the place i tried it was nice enough to offer a couple of small bites as samples; she said lots of tourists order it, take one bite, and then leave the rest on the table.  

some other food pics:

IMG_IL0418_zpsh21c05ij.jpg

roast whale

IMG_IL0419_zpswsdvq6k1.jpg

horse steak

a few cool nature pics (outside of reykjavik though)

IMG_0284_zpss8xamj2a.jpg

IMG_0264_zpsqaluyew9.jpg

IMG_0262_zpsikhpzyop.jpg

IMG_IL0259_zpslwugojaz.jpg

IMG_IL0267_zps79dki7wx.jpg

famous lutheran church mentioned above in reykjavik

IMG_IL0408_zpsvbgpygdz.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

the way i described it when i tried it was "it tastes like what i imagine ammonia and piss combined in a cup would taste like if you drank it."

the waitress at the place i tried it was nice enough to offer a couple of small bites as samples; she said lots of tourists order it, take one bite, and then leave the rest on the table.  

some other food pics:

IMG_IL0418_zpsh21c05ij.jpg

roast whale

IMG_IL0419_zpswsdvq6k1.jpg

horse steak

a few cool nature pics (outside of reykjavik though)

IMG_0284_zpss8xamj2a.jpg

IMG_0264_zpsqaluyew9.jpg

IMG_0262_zpsikhpzyop.jpg

IMG_IL0259_zpslwugojaz.jpg

IMG_IL0267_zps79dki7wx.jpg

famous lutheran church mentioned above in reykjavik

IMG_IL0408_zpsvbgpygdz.jpg

The 2 plates shown look very interesting, as a main course meal; I can imagine it was quite a positive experience... And the Lutheran cathedral looks amazing as well...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 8:40 PM, Thetexashammer said:

It does look like there is a bus into town. I think I'd like to explore the town more than soak. I really want the food experience. Sounds like it will be not as good as I expected. But still good. It was going to be a wasted day anyway because of the time change. 

I dont know if you are still planning your trip but here is my advice...The bus is easy and cheaper, but just be aware there may be extra travel time because you have to drop some people off at hotels and then stop to switch over to a new bus to get to city center. A lot of people hit the Blue Lagoon on their way to or from the airport, so it is pretty easy. If you land at 5AM, the best way to go to Blue Lagoon is if you buy tickets early and show up when it opens (7AM) because it is not crowded yet. Honestly, you may be able to do both Blue Lagoon and a little bit of Reykjavik if you watch your time closely. Reykjavik is a smaller and interesting city, but mostly what I remember about Iceland are the tours/sites outside of the city. So, IMO,  if you just do the Blue Lagoon you wont be missing out on too much, you will just have to go back again! One more thing, I dont know what the luggage situation is, but the Blue Lagoon does have storage if you cant check in/leave your bags at the airport.

On 6/22/2018 at 1:40 AM, Thetexashammer said:

Having been here now, I can tell you that you will absolutely hate yourself for coming downtown. This is my 2nd day in Reykjavik. Day 1 was Blue Lagoon and drinks at the hotel. Yesterday we rented a 4X4 and drove to Landganmanner. Last night, we toured Reykjavik. We did the main shopping street, the Big Lutheran church and the hotdog place. The whole excursion took less than 2 hours...and we were walking with my dad who can’t do the “NY shuffle”. At best, it’s reminiscent of a ski town. Unless you’re really into shopping, or want to eat at the Chuck Norris Grill, do the Blue Lagoon. Also, I talked to people that took the downtown bus. Not a great option. It takes forever and drops you off at the bus stop, which is still 1.5 miles away from anything that you may want to see. It is cold and rainy here in July. Add dragging luggage to that, uphill, and jet lag...nah. Not worth it. 

Edited by Spankytoes

Was there for a couple days last week. Apotek is a very good restaurant in Reykjavik. Great cocktails.

e699ac4e6089269be47003bf6b2af776.jpg

03d002aee2ba079924b3d60aeed00806.jpg

ab370ace6d13e65d4d75edce796819d5.jpg

We skipped the blue lagoon, did a tour of waterfalls/geysers/national park. Stopped at a smaller, more secluded lagoon a ways out of town to get our springs fix.

You can see anything of note in Reykjavik in a couple hours. Plan on either blue lagoon or whatever seems interesting. Go with a small one. Being on one of those large busses with tourists seems like it would be a beating.

It’s a ridiculously ugly and beautiful country at the same time. Sometimes it feels like you’re in an Arizona desert, sometimes on the moon and sometimes in Hawaii. (Landscape, not weather-wise) Did a few F-roads and river crossings in a 4X4.

Drove east today in a camper with my dad and son and we’re working our way back to KEF.

736258b734566e0251358ae63d613fbb.jpg

cd90c07616d69d0bff3210dd086b0c33.jpg

abda640e72cba5ce5028562b7b6db70a.jpg

b6c50cc92bf2605cba46e541b10bf17c.jpg

d0838f117429a262a50d68e2409d4245.jpg

• Like 1

So the pics are fucking awesome. They're the kind of pics you know that being there was way better than a picture can make you feel.

On further research, it looks like you can see some pretty good nature. There something called the Golden Circle tour, which is three hours of driving to three interesting places and some hiking. Hopefully grab some grub downtown afterwards. Getting a car.

Hiking trails near Rejk: https://guidetoiceland.is/connect-with-locals/asa1/my-favorite-hiking-trails-around-reykjavik

There's also a big park just south of town that I am trying to figure out if it is worth a visit.

I'm still ruminating but very glad I got the layover there. Gonna be sweet. Maybe do a whole week there next year. Y'alls pics are cool as shit. Need to work the food angle, but willing to take what ever I can find. Best hot dog is not unacceptable.

Looking at Reykjadalur for the hot springs.

Edited by Thetexashammer

@Thetexashammer Toured the Golden Circle today. You won’t have enough time to do it properly on your layover, even with a tour bus. If you had to pick a few spots, Gullfoss and Thingvellir are doable and worth it. Though, I still say the BL is your best bet, even with a car. I used Blue Cars to rent my 4X4 and they were good. All the car rental companies share a shuttle bus and are clustered next to each other. Gas works out to about $8 a gallon.

f43e4369538dc69cd823141be99637fb.jpg

9ba46355e34afd859fcb478631edf210.jpg

088782ef05a8d79520fa8cbd7a40bfb0.jpg

1683a1e0bbb5b14205085d0e1f266e23.jpg

c54833d7726f4bccfff797fa53f19bc6.jpg

My favorite spot on the trip was Diamond Beach

37404accd3d773b541e574ddfd81a043.jpg

Whatever you budget, triple it. Trust me, you’ll need it. 6 days/5 nights was almost 3X the cost of my 8 days in Paris, Berlin and London last week combined. (And I used points for 2 nights in Reykjavik at the Hilton Nordica) It’s an insanely expensive country to visit. We only made it to Höhn on the Southeast coast. Plan on finishing the Ring Road at some point en route to Europe.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 1

Pro tip for the airport when you leave, because signs are lacking.

When you walk in there are self service kiosks to the right, along the outside windows. Check in and tag your luggage there. These are everywhere and easy to find. From there, you should avoid the huge line of tourists trying to drop bags off at the counter.

On the side/to the left of the counter drop off is a self-weigh/drop off spot without any signage we could see. Self explanatory on what to do when you find it, but was a pain to locate when we were flying out last week. Bypassed hundreds of families waiting in line who were unaware of/too stupid to use it.

If you’re flying back to the US from KEF, even if it’s just a layover, there’s a secondary security screening before getting to the D gates. Just plan accordingly in case you’re eating/drinking before going to gate.

18 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

. Need to work the food angle, but willing to take what ever I can find. Best hot dog is not unacceptable.

It's not a food country.  You'll see maybe 1 or 2 greenhouses but almost everything is imported.

Could try finding some reindeer, puffin, and whale to eat, just to say you've done it.  And there's always some weird shit as well.

And here's pretty much the whole country.

@ERhine Good tip on the airport. I know exactly where you are talking about. We had to wait about an hour before we could pickup our car and sat in the chairs in that area eating our 10-11 store bacon wrapped hotdogs. We are leaving our camper van at the airport at 1 tomorrow and our flight is at 5. Sucks they only have the Saga Lounge, which you have to be an Elite with Iceland Air to access. We got stuck in the mud this afternoon after Google Maps steered us wrong and spent $120 on a tow to go 20 feet back on the road. 

It’s definitely NOT a foodie country. We stocked up at Costco before we grabbed our camper van because our membership card works worldwide and it was close to Kuku. We bought too much because we decided to eat out more as the trip went on. (My Dad is picky and offered to pay) We had a stop at Netto one time to buy lunchmeat and pasta to cook. A chicken sandwich meal, 3 tender meal and popcorn chicken meal came to $62.00 at KFC when we needed a quick bite. A 12” “large” pepperoni pizza was $30.00. Our average restaurant bill for 3 people was around $85.00 for adequate to subpar meals and drinking tap water. The only time we had alcohol was when it was free in the Hilton Executive Lounge. I’ve been stealing condiments on work trips from my hotel breakfasts and that worked for us since you never know if you’ll like their branded stuff. Applesin orange drink was a big hit for us. It’s like a less sweet Fanta. Didn’t try shark, whale or puffin. Lamb is pretty much guaranteed to be anywhere you go. If you don’t like hotdogs, your SOL.

Edited by Spankytoes

It's really just meant as a jetlag day. Obviously won't have much time. I really just saw the layover and said "fuck yeah, I can say I've been there". 

We get in really early. Will grab a car and get breakfast somewhere and hopefully see a geyser or some springs and be gone to Barcelona and then sleep. I figure the cold weather will be a shock and keep us awake. 

I am hoping to get some whale or puffin but probably I would rather go hike or see a geyser. Golden Circle in a car. I've never seen a geyser.

Anyway Spanky your pics look amazing. 

• 2 weeks later...

PSA:  WOW's got $99 flights to Reykjavik right now.  Fine print: 1) only on select days, 2) only from a few U.S. airports, but DFW's one of 'em; 3) 800 seats, when they're gone, they're gone; 4) this is the "cheap bastard" fare, which means any luggage extra.  But hey, it's Iceland, bitches!

Quick note on that subject. Check your ticket and restrictions beforehand. I got hit with a $77 charge to check-in 1 bag on IcelandAir because I assumed that a major airline would surely allow 1 bag on an international trip, which pretty much every flight from KEF is. The only reason we lugged a checked bag in a suitcase around Europe the week prior was to fit our sleeping bags and other items since it was cheaper to buy them new than rent. WOW is the discount airline, so there's surely some hidden charges there.

With regards to Iceland itself, now that I've had more time to process it, I am torn. Don't get me wrong, it's an absolutely amazing destination and I met some really friendly people there when I got stuck in the mud with our camper van. I just think it's a "see it once" type of place. We only did half the ring road and I felt that we had seen enough to get a feel of things. I don't feel the need to go back and finish the northern half. After about Day 3, the excitement starts to wear off. Then it's just another mountain, another waterfall, another landscape that feels like you're on the moon, another geothermal bath, etc. The cost just doesn't make it worth a repeat visit, though I suspect that it may be the best thing it has going for it. If most people can't afford to go there, the less people you have to deal with. The only thing that would alter that is if I went with a group of 5 other people, which lends itself to a whole other set of issues.

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

We only did half the ring road and I felt that we had seen enough to get a feel of things. I don't feel the need to go back and finish the northern half. After about Day 3, the excitement starts to wear off. Then it's just another mountain, another waterfall, another landscape that feels like you're on the moon, another geothermal bath, etc. The cost just doesn't make it worth a repeat visit, though I suspect that it may be the best thing it has going for it. If most people can't afford to go there, the less people you have to deal with. The only thing that would alter that is if I went with a group of 5 other people, which lends itself to a whole other set of issues.

You can't miss what you didn't see.  Whale watching is in the north off Husavik.  The blue water cave where Jon Snow and Ygritte got their bone on is in Grjotagja.  Lofthellir has large ice sculptures in the caves.  etc.  3 days isnt a good sampling of the country

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

You can't miss what you didn't see.  Whale watching is in the north off Husavik.  The blue water cave where Jon Snow and Ygritte got their bone on is in Grjotagja.  Lofthellir has large ice sculptures in the caves.  etc.  3 days isnt a good sampling of the country

Whale tour in Husavik was insane. Tons of humpback whales out there 

On 7/23/2018 at 3:10 PM, 52-80 said:

Understood. But the cost alone doesn’t merit it for me. I can catch whales in Canada if I’m so inclined for 1/16 of the price. I’ll probably finish it up at some point, but it’s not in my Top 10 of “must-do’s” right now. 5 days, I feel, was perfect.