Richard Belzer RIP

HenryJames

A friend's dad let us stay up late in middle school to watch a Belzer standup special.  We didn't get half the jokes, but we knew he was a hip comic.  Later his dad showed us the Groove Tube where Belzer got his start.  He went on to a very accomplished career in dramatic and comedic acting.  As cliche as it sounds, he remained a "Comic's Comic" throughout several decades.  

35 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

A friend's dad let us stay up late in middle school to watch a Belzer standup special.  We didn't get half the jokes, but we knew he was a hip comic.  Later his dad showed us the Groove Tube where Belzer got his start.  He went on to a very accomplished career in dramatic and comedic acting.  As cliche as it sounds, he remained a "Comic's Comic" throughout several decades.  

Where's the report from Thurthon Thithtertinton from Suc Muc Dik?

• Haha 1

Victimized in one of the most bizarre TV talk show moments ever. The VTR tracking sucks on this clip, but I’m using this version because you get some perspective on the event from Belzer in this interview with Roy “Where the fuck did he go?” Firestone.

RIP, Richard. You helped invent sarcastic snark, an even darker version than Dennis Miller. 

• Like 3

Belzer was one of those people/actors who I thought was 55 years old for 4 decades.  I had failed to notice that he retired from acting by 2016.

Munch was an all-time TV supporting character. Hollywood liked to find new roles for him obviously but I'm uncertain that we will ever again see someone stretch from shows like Homicide to L&O shows, but also including The Wire to Sesame Street or on the X-Files. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RPM said:

Munch started on Homicide: Life on the Street. I had seen Belzer on Carson and other stand up specials and it blew me away he was on this dead serious cop show. Then he shows up on Law & Order. What a career. RIP Belz.

I never watched it, and I would love to.  As far as I know it's not streaming anywhere.   

Simon's shit is great. 

Homicide was a great show and I can't recommend it enough. It had some flaws and tailed off some near the end but it should be remembered as a forerunner to many of the great TV shows of the 2000s. I always liked how they continually shifted focus within the cast. 

I didn't watch it much during for the majority of it's run it was on Friday nights. I believe I started catching it in the early 2000s on syndication. Even read the Simon book it was based on.

Some episodes stick with you, like when Vincent D'Onofrio plays a guy pushed on the subway platform and got stuck between the subway and the platform. He was alive but soon to be dead. He had to be interviewed by the detectives investing his soon-to-be murder.  Robin Williams also was great in another episode as the victim's grieving husband.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Some episodes stick with you, like when Vincent D'Onofrio plays a guy pushed on the subway platform and got stuck between the subway and the platform. He was alive but soon to be dead.

Damn right it sticks with you.  I remember this and didn't even know where I knew it from.

14 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

Damn right it sticks with you.  I remember this and didn't even know where I knew it from.

I recall how they spend part of the episode trying to track down the victim's wife so they can say goodbye. She's out jogging including a scene where she's jogging within sight of the subway station but the police cannot find her. This was before people carried their cell phone 24/7.  Haunting scenes with that episode.