Classic Car thread

TexasEd

On 11/8/2021 at 5:51 PM, mr.goodkat said:

she fired right up . needs brakes carb work and tune up and she go down street safely . parts on the way 

Cool, like I said, I've worked on every part of my 69 so let me know if you have questions.  Next thing I would look into (after brake and fuel delivery) is the suspension and steering bushings and ball joints.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Cool, like I said, I've worked on every part of my 69 so let me know if you have questions.  Next thing I would look into (after brake and fuel delivery) is the suspension and steering bushings and ball joints.

all of the control arms and links have been replaced . the brakes were new when parked . crazy how much has been done to be parked 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Under the cover and hooked up to the trickle charger for the winter. Put 710 miles on it this summer. 

Two things that I realized - 1) you need to be discreet about leering at women while driving a distinctive vehicle close to home, and 2) some of the best interactions driving a classic car aren't when you get a thumbs up in traffic or have a good chat with another car person in a parking lot, but when you notice an older person who is clearly not a car nut looking at it and smiling to themselves as it reminds them of someone or something from their past. 

20211121_112655.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Mechanic sent pictures of the new motor going in the 65 mustang. Replacing the straight 6 with a 302 V8. Pretty much everything under the hood is being replaced. Cannot fucking wait to hear this motor start up. 

469A5288-DEE5-4693-9FED-CA7536503FF2.jpeg

Very similar look to my 289, same valve covers, and air cleaner, except I have Shelby Hi Po exhaust manifolds instead of headers.

• Hook 'Em 1

Have no idea. Will it be considerably heavier? Didn’t think about it to tell the truth. I know a lot of what is going back in is aluminum, those components will weigh less. Need to ask the man taking my money. Thanks for asking, I’m sure more cha ching.

34 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Have no idea. Will it be considerably heavier? Didn’t think about it to tell the truth. I know a lot of what is going back in is aluminum, those components will weigh less. Need to ask the man taking my money. Thanks for asking, I’m sure more cha ching.

I'll let the Mustang enthusiasts chime in, but a 289V8 was an option and I imagine that is comparable in weight.

The question is probably whether there are different spring rates up front for the two engines, rather than chassis reinforcement.

I always heard back in the day from a big Mustang guy I knew in Dallas that swapping a 6 for an 8 entailed more than just the engine swap. Maybe check some Mustang forums.
Not a pony guy (user name and whatnot) but even V8 to V8 take modifications and different K frames for mopars, depending on car and size of said V8.

I will say striking the right balance in the car for handling makes a world of difference for drivability. The car could be awesome but if it's a PITA to drive what's the point. I hate fighting a car while driving the enjoy it. Love the pictures, excited to see the end state!

10 hours ago, tbone_ said:

What structural mods are you doing yo support the extra weight?

51 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'll let the Mustang enthusiasts chime in, but a 289V8 was an option and I imagine that is comparable in weight.

The question is probably whether there are different spring rates up front for the two engines, rather than chassis reinforcement.

48 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I always heard back in the day from a big Mustang guy I knew in Dallas that swapping a 6 for an 8 entailed more than just the engine swap. Maybe check some Mustang forums.

I have a friend who did this and from what I understand the typical I6 to V8 upgrade in a Mustang includes

• swapping out the front suspension to support more weight
  • Swap spindles and hubs to 5 lug, new brakes (Go disc)
  • Swapping out the rear hubs to 5 lug and brakes at a minimum.  Could include the axles and third member
  • depending on the engine it could include cooling upgrades and new accessories
  • Make sure your torque boxes are good.  Some cars only had them on one side so people add the second one
  • Depending on power you could need to upgrade transmission, reinforce/brace the subframe or install engine bay stiffening like export brace and monte carlo bar.  I went with a stiffer anti-sway bar and roller spring perches.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

I have a friend who did this and from what I understand the typical I6 to V8 upgrade in a Mustang includes

• swapping out the front suspension to support more weight
  • Swap spindles and hubs to 5 lug, new brakes (Go disc)
  • Swapping out the rear hubs to 5 lug and brakes at a minimum.  Could include the axles and third member
  • depending on the engine it could include cooling upgrades and new accessories
  • Make sure your torque boxes are good.  Some cars only had them on one side so people add the second one
  • Depending on power you could need to upgrade transmission, reinforce/brace the subframe or install engine bay stiffening like export brace and monte carlo bar.  I went with a stiffer anti-sway bar and roller spring perches.

Yep,  While it's out of the bay do the required upgrades, and the other modifications (disc brakes for sure), it would be money well spent. If you can do a suspension upgrade with new Borgesson power steering unit, you're going to have such a better ride, and handling vehicle.

I'd say the springs, and engine mounts could be different for the 6 to 8 swap, but the tie bars, and sway rods should all be the same ? Transmission is the other area to look at along with verifying the Axle ratio on the rear end.  

I'd be looking at a new radiator with a new engine anyway so that's an easy swap, and upgrade to aluminum in my opinion.

Swung by the Skoda Factory Museum today. I really like Skoda, it’s a neat brand with a cool history.  A lot of its post-war history is an example of a really top-notch group of engineers with tradition suffering under state control.

This 1936 Popular Monte Carlo is just a sexy car. It has a central tube frame and a high-tech for it’s time transaxle and rally roots, even with only 31 horsepower.

image.thumb.jpeg.08b2acc6bdb0eb391c522c088a16bf79.jpeg

This 1966 1000 MB was a lot of car for a little bit of money at the time and had success on the export market. Skoda stuck with it’s rear engine, air cooled format.

image.thumb.jpeg.79300483ba0d976a3210d2e9420a3d34.jpeg

Race-car! The 130 RS moved to water-cooling but kept the engine in the ass. In rally form this car had a lot of success in the under 1300 cc class despite being down lots of horsepower and despite the Skoda works’ tiny budget in the late 1970s and early 1980s. In touring car format, like this one, it took the 1981 European championship.

image.thumb.jpeg.3a3f96e69429506e19722d97f46a6cb6.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

After taking 4 months off, retiring from one job and starting a new career, buying a house, holidays, and whatnot I decided to dig into oil pressure problems on the superbee. Tore apart the front end of the motor on the hemi after I had a hunch that an internal oil galley plug was missing and creating a massive internal leak, causing me not to get out pressure. Well...sure enough a plug was missing, just not the one I thought.

I thought it would be the plug facing the ground (green) as its easily missed but it was the one behind the timing chain, circled in yellow.

Either way this is why you have to double-check your machine shop's work. I should have caught it when I assembled the motor and that one is on me but what a PITA. So happy it's a cheap fix too and instead of a 15K rebuild.

Now to find a galley plug in the scrounge. Then reassembly tomorrow and hopefully terrorize the neighbors come next week 1df45756862f758b2ca0408ba704a312.jpgc30a736fa762d7b862f14380d7e3bcaa.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Might pull the trigger on a new project, '72 Triumph.  Minimal rust, only a small hole in DS floorpan, easy fix.  Doesn't run, so full restoration, son and I doing most of the work.

Talk me out of it (or into it).

1510050930_IMG_6925copy.thumb.jpg.53369b0feddb2ad5ac288b869fb98ece.jpg

Are they still pretty affordable?  I joked about getting one for my wife once because they were cool and reasonably priced at that time.