Classic Car thread

TexasEd

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Beg to differ. There's a wood steering wheel for old Shelbys that looks very bueno.   Of course, your results may vary.

And faux wood grain for the deluxe interior package on 65-68.  Mine has the deluxe steering wheel option, but not the deluxe interior package. The wheel needs to be restored as it has no "grain". 

51 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Insurance...for classics I use none other than Hagerty. Love them, been using them for many, many years. Ensure the car for whatever valve YOU want and they will pay that value in the event it's totaled. Their customer service is legit too. Depending on the value you set, they may ask for a few pictures.

Yep, stated value with Hagerty. My broker managed the details, as the rest of my insurance is through another company. $34k at $439 per year, $0 deductible. They had some questions about where is was stored and how much it would be driven and had to send in pics.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

And faux wood grain for the deluxe interior package on 65-68.  Mine has the deluxe steering wheel option, but not the deluxe interior package. The wheel needs to be restored as it has no "grain". 

Yep I have a wood grain wheel wanna get a real wood wheel.

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep I have a wood grain wheel wanna get a real wood wheel.

So do you know of a shop that will convert the og plastic stuff to a real wood wheel? Cause that would be legit.  Site I pulled that pic from appears to charge $700 to refinish the orignal wheel which feels stupid. Maybe makes sense for a shelby but basically throwing money away on anything lesser.  Which probably means I will pull my steering wheel off and ship it to them for a restoration next garage season cause I am brain damaged. 

13 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Always heard good things about Haggerty. Just fwiw, my State Farm policy also works the way MM just described.

My state farm didn't work like that but probably an exception. They would not accept stated value until the restoration was finished. Left me in limbo since I had already paid for over half the work. If the shop burned down I would have been out that amount. Haggerty had no issues

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

So do you know of a shop that will convert the og plastic stuff to a real wood wheel? Cause that would be legit.  Site I pulled that pic from appears to charge $700 to refinish the orignal wheel which feels stupid. Maybe makes sense for a shelby but basically throwing money away on anything lesser.  Which probably means I will pull my steering wheel off and ship it to them for a restoration next garage season cause I am brain damaged. 

Virginia Classic Mustang sells a genuine wood wheel for less than $400 I believe.  You can get a mustang, GT or Shelby center cap I think.  There are a cookie pother suppliers out there as well I believe.

On 4/1/2022 at 8:15 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

We had a little break in the shit weather so I finally got the old 911 out on the road yesterday. Today, it is snowing.

🤬

My stepdad offered to sell me his 2002 Porsche Boxster (basic not S) for a good price.  Seriously thinking about it and using it for work commute for a couple of years.  It has been babied for over 10 years.  Only drawback is the 2 seats.  Could use it to teach my teen to drive a manual.  She would want to drive it to school.

On 4/1/2022 at 9:51 AM, Chad Fuck said:

You don't want my problem.  I was emotionally attached to this car which has cost me way more than I should've.   But I've fully succumbed to the good money after bad fallacy so fuck it.  

Now another question:  How do you guys insure your vintage rides?  Right now, I've got a pretty standard auto policy from State Farm.  I'm looking at all these different vintage hot rod insurers and I honestly can't tell that much difference between them.  What is the collective Surl opinion?

Stated value policy.  I shopped around and Grundy was the best deal on my Mustang.  I had quotes from American Collectors and Hagerty.  I pay about $230 a year for limited use policy $30k stated value comprehensive collision.  Limited use means no unapproved drives to work, garage kept, have another vehicle with full liability coverage, no drivers under 25, my wife and I are listed as the only drivers, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

My stepdad offered to sell me his 2002 Porsche Boxster (basic not S) for a good price.  Seriously thinking about it and using it for work commute for a couple of years.  It has been babied for over 10 years.  Only drawback is the 2 seats.  Could use it to teach my teen to drive a manual.  She would want to drive it to school.

Do it!

That would be one cool chick if she could tool around in a manual Porsche. 

Do It GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

Pulled the trigger on this little guy for our next project.

1223364661_IMG_7024copy.thumb.jpg.874222ac267fd1718919defbd0421390.jpg

It's a runner with no rust.  Plan is new wire harness, rebuild the heads for some performance, suspension upgrade, and a repaint in British Green with tan interior.

Wife loves it, says it will be her "Mrs Robinson car."  I was happy to hear it, because ... wait, what? does she intend to start fucking college drop outs?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

It's a runner with no rust.  Plan is new wire harness, rebuild the heads for some performance, suspension upgrade, and a repaint in British Green with tan interior.

Wife loves it, says it will be her "Mrs Robinson car."  I was happy to hear it, because ... wait, what? does she intend to start fucking college drop outs?

Uhhh... do you want us to lie to you ?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Welcome to the world of british cars...

16 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

I've always thought that was a damned nice looking car.

• Hook 'Em 1

Always loved the TR6. College buddy had one, that bright yellow with black interior. Look forward to seeing your progress with it.

On 4/12/2022 at 5:30 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

First drive of the year.  I set the cruise at 75.  A few times, to pass I went over 80 but, it was just to get it warmed up. 

911 and cruise control just doesn't seem right.

On 4/12/2022 at 6:22 PM, Mach 1 said:

Start?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TexasEd said:

911 and cruise control just doesn't seem right.

First drive, since the week before Christmas, of the year.

Yeah, it seems right. Like I said, it was a drive to get it moving again, and the fluids warmed up and to check things out. I don't think there is a need to thrash the gearbox on the first drive of the year. 

Ferrari also has cruise control:

Cruise control is an electronic function that automatically maintains a constant speed when driving on long stretches of highway. The driver may accelerate briefly if necessary by pressing the accelerator pedal, but once the pedal is released, the vehicle returns to the cruise control speed set previously. 
Usable within a speed range from 30 to 200 km/h, this function is recommended for long, straight stretches of road 
and on dry tarmac, with minimal variations in traffic conditions. Not recommended for use on urban roads.

😉

Had a productive day yesterday after a few weeks of traveling for business. Finally finished installing bumpers, NOS door locks and door handles on the car. Sandblasted my tail light covers and sent off the trim rings for restoration.

Still need to install a new antenna, fender-mounted turn signals, and replace a leaking rear-wheel cylinder tomorrow. The dog enjoyed the cool weather and classic rock music. f9768363f350f3f7852a893dcce39891.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:

Had a productive day yesterday after a few weeks of traveling for business. Finally finished installing bumpers, NOS door locks and door handles on the car. Sandblasted my tail light covers and sent off the trim rings for restoration.

Still need to install a new antenna, fender-mounted turn signals, and replace a leaking rear-wheel cylinder tomorrow. The dog enjoyed the cool weather and classic rock music. f9768363f350f3f7852a893dcce39891.jpg

All kinds of bad ass that you have your own blast cabinet

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
4 hours ago, JSB said:
All kinds of bad ass that you have your own blast cabinet

Thanks, man! I got tired of paying $100 hr to have someone else do it. Dropped the $240 on a Harbor Freight cabinet and made some mods to make it better. Well worth it for small stuff.

Yeah I was about to say for $1000 you can get the cabinet and compressor to run it.  I’ve thought about doing it as a little side hustle but most that do also do powder and I don’t want to mess with that. 

• Like 1

Yeah I was about to say for $1000 you can get the cabinet and compressor to run it.  I’ve thought about doing it as a little side hustle but most that do also do powder and I don’t want to mess with that. 
You can make a killing at it for sure. I got a guy who does my big parts and he's $125 an hour. Depending on the metal and how bad the imperfections/paint is I use black oxide beads. Some folks use walnuts shells or glass but the life span on those is very short IMO.

You can make a killing at it for sure. I got a guy who does my big parts and he's $125 an hour. Depending on the metal and how bad the imperfections/paint is I use black oxide beads. Some folks use walnuts shells or glass but the life span on those is very short IMO.

Walnut shell is supposedly good on really thin stuff too though isn’t it? Doesn’t get as hot and warp the metal?
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
14 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

There was a time I had access to super sacks of black Betty.  Should have stuffed one of those away in the barn years ago.  

To be honest, I have a set of factory rims I’d like to have redone, but don’t want to pay the prices in seeing. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

She's a phenomenal dog, pit-husky rescue from a shelter. We've had her for about 8 years now and has made countless moves in the military. She goes everywhere I go and enjoys hanging out. /thread derail over. af1998775b4b01c53bd6b55e237a4681.jpg

Awesome dog. I'm hoping she is named for a pirate or two-face or something. 

There was a time I had access to super sacks of black Betty.  Should have stuffed one of those away in the barn years ago.  

To be honest, I have a set of factory rims I’d like to have redone, but don’t want to pay the prices in seeing. 
Something about knowing then what we knew now.

I use a guy who has a dustless blasting set up, maybe me something to look into in your area. When he has big jobs I bring my stuff over so the cost is ALOT cheaper as he's not setting up for just me.

Just now, Mother mopar said:

Something about knowing then what we knew now.

I use a guy who has a dustless blasting set up, maybe me something to look into in your area. When he has big jobs I bring my stuff over so the cost is ALOT cheaper as he's not setting up for just me.

Yeah that’s what I’ll do. Next time we have something going on in the shop I’ll bring them by   I used to have a setup that went on the end of my pressure washer that “worked”, but nothing like the real thing of course, and was wasteful on the material (no recapture)  

One of the original 60 Wimbledon  white, and ice blue interior ‘65 mustangs sent to the 1964 worlds fair.

And a nice little green 68 Firebird.

Heading to Raleigh, NC now for a good guys rod, and custom show with my moms boyfriend, and his car buds.

I skew the age down by a good 20 years, but these guys know from cars. You walk thru the swap meet tables, and they can tell you what just about any part is, what car, model, and year it came from.  That’s from Model T’s up thru most late 60’s cars, and they’ve probably rebuilt most of em.

Really cool getting to hang with the grandfather types, and getting called youngster.

I haven’t been to many car shows the last couple years, I’m sure everyone relates.

More pics to follow today.

9CCA29E3-6B2A-46AC-AFE8-83A0D941FD00.jpeg

148397D7-6806-4811-842F-D839F5926FB3.jpeg

74B15A18-B62E-4DBF-865A-778F5BFFD447.jpeg

• Like 2