2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

6 hours ago, runthebone said:

Every time Montero is in there (and, obviously, fucks up), I just think...wow, I kind of get how Cowboys fans feel.

well, except that he has a ring.

#Cowboys/Astros fan for life.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

🤔🤔🤔🤔

Starts since Yordan Alvarez’ injury (15 games)  

Yainer Diaz  12
Martin Maldonado 12
Corey Julks  11
Jake Meyers  10
Mauricio Dubon 10
Chas McCormick 9
Grae Kessinger 2
Cesar Salazar  1
Bligh Madris  1

The number should be:

Diaz- 15

Chas- 15

Meyers- 15

Dubon- 15

Maldonado- 8

DFA- Julks, Salazer, Madris, Kessinger

I'm not a monster if the guys are a little tired yo ucould take 1 start away from all of them and add that to Corey Julks or something like that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

DFA- Julks, Salazer, Madris, Kessinger

what??? 

Salazar, sure I guess, maybe Madris again.....but why would Julks or Kessinger be removed from the 40-man roster without a better option in place? That exposes them to the waivers process for other teams to pluck away. 

9 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

what??? 

Salazar, sure I guess, maybe Madris again.....but why would Julks or Kessinger be removed from the 40-man roster without a better option in place? That exposes them to the waivers process for other teams to pluck away. 

I'm mostly kidding. You would option Kessinger and Julks to the minors and keep them on the team of course.  But the main point is that they need to be kept away from Dusty and his ability to play them instead of better players.  I'd rather have 10 men on the roster then give Dusty the opportunity to decide who he wants to play and who he doesn't on a whim. 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

So what are we thinking about Altuve?

sit tomorrow to give him a 3 day break. Then sit wed because it’s probably another regularly scheduled off day. Play Thursday but then sit Friday in Arlington because team won’t arrive until middle of the night?

Found Dusty’s burner 

• Hook 'Em 3

45 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

So what are we thinking about Altuve?

sit tomorrow to give him a 3 day break. Then sit wed because it’s probably another regularly scheduled off day. Play Thursday but then sit Friday in Arlington because team won’t arrive until middle of the night?

Bruised heel, I’d guess 3 days 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm mostly kidding. You would option Kessinger and Julks to the minors and keep them on the team of course.  But the main point is that they need to be kept away from Dusty and his ability to play them instead of better players.  I'd rather have 10 men on the roster then give Dusty the opportunity to decide who he wants to play and who he doesn't on a whim. 

Julks has earned a starting job. 

3 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Julks has earned a starting job. 

Is it the mediocre defense in left field (and yes- I know he robbed a HR the other day) or is it the offense that's 11% worse than league average? or is it the expected stats that show him lucky to be performing that well and show his true talent level to be bottom 15 in the league?  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Is it the mediocre defense in left field (and yes- I know he robbed a HR the other day) or is it the offense that's 11% worse than league average? or is it the expected stats that show him lucky to be performing that well and show his true talent level to be bottom 15 in the league?  

defense is much more than the 1 HR grab.  He's hitting well.  Those made up advance geek stats don't mean much to me, have to watch the game, the energy, the clutch. 

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

We know Jake’s ceiling, we don’t know julk’s ceiling yet 

Sure we do. It's about where he's at right now, maybe 10% worse if his expected stats catch up to him.  He's a 28 year old non prospect with nothing in his profile or numbers that say he's a good MLB caliber player.  Jake has a 3 WAR ceiling and it's likely he gets to 2 WAR every year he can still play an elite CF.  Julks ceiling isn't near that high.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure we do. It's about where he's at right now, maybe 10% worse if his expected stats catch up to him.  He's a 28 year old non prospect with nothing in his profile or numbers that say he's a good MLB caliber player.  Jake has a 3 WAR ceiling and it's likely he gets to 2 WAR every year he can still play an elite CF.  Julks ceiling isn't near that high.  

Lulz. No. Jake shouldn't get enough playing time to come close to those numbers, since most will come from defense. He's a really bad offensive player, that is only playing because the manager is a fucking moron. You are the Dusty Baker side of the Meyers's playing time argument. ZiPS and Streamer both project his offense to nose-dive.

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

defense is much more than the 1 HR grab.  He's hitting well.  Those made up advance geek stats don't mean much to me, have to watch the game, the energy, the clutch. 

I didn’t realize Joe Morgan posted on Surly.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz. No. Jake shouldn't get enough playing time to come close to those numbers, since most will come from defense. He's a really bad offensive player, that is only playing because the manager is a fucking moron. You are the Dusty Baker side of the Meyers's playing time argument. ZiPS and Streamer both project his offense to nose-dive.

Dude.  He has 3 WAR in his career in 469 PA. He has 1.2 WAR this year and we aren't half way through the year. I said that he's a minimum 2 WAR guy as long as he plays elite CF defense, which explicitly acknowledges that his defense is a better argument for him to play than his offense.  He's a 10% below average offensive player right now playing the most important defensive position on the diamond.  That's a 2 WAR player man, that's all I'm saying.  To say his ceiling is 3 WAR should be beyond dispute since he has, like I said, 2.9 WAR in less than 500 PA's.  

At any rate you are losing the forest for the trees. The point is that he's an much better player than Corey Julks and we know this with something approaching a metaphysical certainty.  

As far as the argument over playing time being on the Dusty side you are confused in full. Chas should be the everyday OF. Full stop. in a perfect world Jake is your 4th OF that plays 60-100 games (when Yordan is DH'ing or when someone needs a break or gets hurt). In this world, however, he should always play before Julks and never before Chas. That's not how Dusty sees it.

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Dude.  He has 3 WAR in his career in 469 PA. He has 1.2 WAR this year and we aren't half way through the year. I said that he's a minimum 2 WAR guy as long as he plays elite CF defense, which explicitly acknowledges that his defense is a better argument for him to play than his offense.  He's a 10% below average offensive player right now playing the most important defensive position on the diamond.  That's a 2 WAR player man, that's all I'm saying.  To say his ceiling is 3 WAR should be beyond dispute since he has, like I said, 2.9 WAR in less than 500 PA's.  

At any rate you are losing the forest for the trees. The point is that he's an much better player than Corey Julks and we know this with something approaching a metaphysical certainty.  

As far as the argument over playing time being on the Dusty side you are confused in full. Chas should be the everyday OF. Full stop. in a perfect world Jake is your 4th OF that plays 60-100 games (when Yordan is DH'ing or when someone needs a break or gets hurt). In this world, however, he should always play before Julks and never before Chas. That's not how Dusty sees it.

3.5 war ?

10000% we need to trade him. Find another Maton / Diaz deal. He doesn’t have a spot on the roster next year 

• Hook 'Em 1

Dropped our podcast last night and a little different, we were joined by a former sports writer in the metroplex who gave us some insight into what’s going on in Ranger land as we go into the most important series of the year in Arlington, before we finish with Astros talk. 

Spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0onRlp05Kxe9m22Moirwng?si=DrycRVEvQn6joSCJnC5uug

Apple:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...n-astros-podcast/id1683955456?i=1000618440922

Amazon:

https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/8...est-guest?ref=dm_sh_0HQMz93ctT5hUwEYPjsn50aRf

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

What did he say about Montero? The owner wanted to play GM and overpaid for Montero, so Dusty has to keep letting him cost us games.

37 minutes ago, dr99 said:

What did he say about Montero? The owner wanted to play GM and overpaid for Montero, so Dusty has to keep letting him cost us games.

him and the staff have to fix him, we need him. They were doing a deep video dive/review this afternoon 

I think he’s tipping pitches