2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I’m fine with Bregman at 2 because it kinda helps Altuve be Altuve.

he can swing at wild ass shit on the first pitch of the game. Connect on a leadoff dong a few times a year (yay!) and have a frustrating infield pop up a few times a year (boo) knowing we still have Bregman next to work an 8 pitch walk like a traditional leadoff guy would ahead of the big lefties. 

what do the analytics say about batting your best guy 2nd when you have 6 “best guys”? Meaning maybe other teams put their best guy 2nd because most of the rest of their lineup is trash and they have to do that to take advantage of the 1 or few chances they are going to get for that spot to come up in a meaningful situation. With us, you can spread things out, and have a better chance at crooked number innings more often.

Hopefully that makes sense 

And that’s all said with the guys we have back now. When we were trotting our Dubon, julks, meyers, Maldy, etc because of injuries…that’s a trash lineup and needs any and all help it can get 

Edited by UTexasFight
Just saw the post above mine…Pretty much was slorch just said
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i say we go 19-8 and win 96 games.  that should get us where we need to be.

I predicted 96 wins when the season began. A few weeks ago, I was wondering if we could even get to 90. Then, right before this win streak, I said I'd take 94. Even after that spurt, 94 still feels like where we'll end up. And given the way things have gone overall, I'd be more than fine with that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

The Mariners guaranteed that they’ll be swept by the Mets this weekend . Very reminiscent of the Texans’ letterman jacket debacle. 

poster,504x498,f8f8f8-pad,600x600,f8f8f8

watch out y'all... Servais  Gator needs some walking around money. 

Edited by Player
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I predicted 96 wins when the season began. A few weeks ago, I was wondering if we could even get to 90. Then, right before this win streak, I said I'd take 94. Even after that spurt, 94 still feels like where we'll end up. And given the way things have gone overall, I'd be more than fine with that. 

96 or 97 

erection GIF

Cleveland kept the Twins from getting those guys, because there's an outside chance they can catch them in the division. You only have to pay about 20% of their salary for the rest of the season, so it's not too expensive. Plus they probably saved more than all of that by trading Bell to the Marlins at the deadline. Not a bad play, but it is dumb that a team can claim more than 1 guy at a time, I thought it would be more like a supplemental draft pick situation. 

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

back to the lineup - while i agree you put your best hitter 2nd (and would love to see yordan 2), a scorching-hot bregman there certainly doesn't bother me.  he handles the bat well and knows the zone.  in 2018-19 i might've called him our best hitter, and we've seen signs of that resurgence ever since he's been back in the 2-hole.

once again, put the right guys in the lineup and the order doesn't really matter.  a month ago, when envisioning the astros lineup, i never even considered bregman would be raking, along with possibly having a fresh brantley and a pena that has kinda found it?  not to mention altuve partying like it's 2017.  put those guys in with yordan, tuck, chassy, and yainer and yeah, we'll be just fine.

@ boston was supposed to be our roughest series remaining outside the division ones, and we dismantled them.  we blew g3 home vs boston and g1 @ detroit.  we should be on a 9-1 stretch following an embarrassing home sweep vs seattle.  but we're not and that's fine.  the takeaway is that schedules don't matter and never have with this team.  when we're playing well, the opponent isn't an issue.

i say we go 19-8 and win 96 games.  that should get us where we need to be.

I have the over on 87.5 so I'm more in favor of 21-6, but yeah- yours would likely work too.  If that's not good enough to win us the division then tip your cap and get ready to head to Tampa or Baltimore for a best of 3.  Gulp.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

When we picked the games for the rest of the year I did it with no preconception and landed on 94 as where we'd end up- 1 in front of the M's, 2 in front of the Jays and 3 in front of the Rangers.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Arlington could have absolutely used those pitchers. I guess Cleveland came first in the waiver order; not sure how all that works

Works in reverse order of the standings as of this morning. Arlington actually had dibs before us thanks to Aroldis Chapman doing Chapman things. 

44 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Arlington could have absolutely used those pitchers. I guess Cleveland came first in the waiver order; not sure how all that works

Really simple process- it goes worst records to best records. You get to claim as many as you want.  Cleveland had like the 12th crack at it and Cincy like the 14th or something like that.  The two non-playoff teams closest to being in the playoffs.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So all players were picked before it got to the Astros turn? Or the Astros didn’t want anyone? I didn’t know when it’s your turn you get to pick as many as you want and not you get 1 selection if you want someone?

Yes they were all picked by teams with waiver priority over the Astros (and probably every other contending playoff team with pitching/OF needs) EXCEPT for Randall Grichuk. That one surprised me because I thought he'd be claimed.

16 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Works in reverse order of the standings as of this morning. Arlington actually had dibs before us thanks to Aroldis Chapman doing Chapman things. 

I thought it was based on the standings the day they were released (when we were percentage points worse than the rangers).  So we would gave priority over them but moot point anyway. 

Just now, UTexasFight said:

I thought it was based on the standings the day they were released (when we were percentage points worse than the rangers).  So we would gave priority over them but moot point anyway. 

not according to mlbtraderumors

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/08/thursdays-waiver-priority-order.html

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Got it. So the posts the other day must have been “based on standings now”. Would have been helpful if they had posted “final waiver order will be determined the morning claims are to be made”.

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I didn’t know when it’s your turn you get to pick as many as you want and not you get 1 selection if you want someone?

Guys can be put on waivers at any time between the trade deadline and Aug 31, so you have to go through the same process for each individual player.  There isn't always a pool of guys put on waivers all at once.  And the claiming team still has to make room on their 40 man, so that in theory should limit how many players any one team would claim.

50 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Oh gotcha I was reading this board(stupid I know) claiming the Astros had priorities over teams. Why the fuck would the guardians and reds even pick anyone up? For what?

Reds are only 1 back of the wild card. 
guardians are 5 back of a pretty leaky Twins team that could go 2-8 at any time. They are both very much in the race still. 

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Grichuk could still be released by the Angels and become a free agent. Would the Astros have any interest in signing him to a deal for injury insurance with Brantley or to replace Jake Meyers?

He would be insurance for Brantley but I wouldn’t want to give up on Meyers to do it. It doesn’t look like there’s room on the 26 man roster.