2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Oh I’m not assuming. That’s why I said I’m not going to hold my breath. But yeah- JV rarely threw to maldy when he was here last go round. Until Castro was hurt for good. Last year JV lost his personal CF in the playoffs. Hopefully both those absurdities go by the way said if we make the playoffs this year. 

Dusty: And he was horrible in the postseason 👀

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Didn’t start Sunday or today. He’s 2/3 starting on this road-trip and 1/2 since Brantley is back. 

most starting catchers get the day off when it's a day game after a night game that they started. 

whether he should be slotted in to dh in that same situation is a different story.  that said, i would probably take 4 days of yainer starting at c over any other scenario, if that's where this is going (i don't think it is).

• Hook 'Em 1

I was thinking today how similar Altuve and Diaz are:  Elite hand-eye coordination and bat to ball skills.  Can hit any pitch, which leads to some plate discipline problems.   You get bullets sprayed, wacky singles, and then some what were you swinging at moments.    I hope he has 1/2 the career as the goat but excited about seeing him every day for the near future. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Hornsbay22 said:

I was thinking today how similar Altuve and Diaz are:  Elite hand-eye coordination and bat to ball skills.  Can hit any pitch, which leads to some plate discipline problems.   You get bullets sprayed, wacky singles, and then some what were you swinging at moments.    I hope he has 1/2 the career as the goat but excited about seeing him every day for the near future. 

We were talking about this on our podcast last episode (episode 22- breathing orange fire) and I compared Altuve and yainer in their ability to get bat to ball and that being one of the reasons why yainer has such a low walk rate. Simply put, because he can get to some bad balls and make contact he has a lower strikeout rate and a lower walk rate all in one. 
he’s not Vladdy the Daddy hitting them out of park, so he needs to focus on bringing them more into the strike zone, but he certainly does flip the ball out there sometimes on bad balls and ends AB’s not in a 3 true outcome way when he does. 
interesting hitter. He’s tearing it up right now but will probably have to get better if he wants to keep being an above average hitter at controlling the strike zone. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We were talking about this on our podcast last episode (episode 22- breathing orange fire) and I compared Altuve and yainer in their ability to get bat to ball and that being one of the reasons why yainer has such a low walk rate. Simply put, because he can get to some bad balls and make contact he has a lower strikeout rate and a lower walk rate all in one. 
he’s not Vladdy the Daddy hitting them out of park, so he needs to focus on bringing them more into the strike zone, but he certainly does flip the ball out there sometimes on bad balls and ends AB’s not in a 3 true outcome way when he does. 
interesting hitter. He’s tearing it up right now but will probably have to get better if he wants to keep being an above average hitter at controlling the strike zone. 

Diaz needs to have the same conversion that Altuve did. When Altuve had the slightest improvement in plate discipline, he went from a good hitter to a HOFer.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/3/2023 at 10:20 AM, HtownHorn said:

Singleton gets the call when they finally figure out what a few of us knew in February, Michael Brantley is not playing in the majors again.

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Damn, Brantley is locked in.

Im Not Surprised Nate Diaz GIF by UFC

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Diaz needs to have the same conversion that Altuve did. When Altuve had the slightest improvement in plate discipline, he went from a good hitter to a HOFer.

Yep. And plate discipline and swing decision is a skill that can be learned at an older age. It’s one of the last things to come sometimes for a talented player. 
Altuve was a lot of fun to watch when he was hitting 350 and getting 230 hits in a year, but this version of him that controls the plate and focuses on doing damage is such a better player- even if less unique and a little less “fun”. 
not everyone learns plate discipline. Those that don’t typically get chewed up and spit out unless they play premium defensive positions. So, there’s a path to a long and average ish career for Yainer if he doesn’t get better at that, and there is a path to superstardom if he does. 
I said I was driving the Yainer HOF bandwagon. Not as a prediction but I think he has that kind of talent. 

2 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Im Not Surprised Nate Diaz GIF by UFC

Is this going to start another jihad between y’all?  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep. And plate discipline and swing decision is a skill that can be learned at an older age. It’s one of the last things to come sometimes for a talented player. 
Altuve was a lot of fun to watch when he was hitting 350 and getting 230 hits in a year, but this version of him that controls the plate and focuses on doing damage is such a better player- even if less unique and a little less “fun”. 
not everyone learns plate discipline. Those that don’t typically get chewed up and spit out unless they play premium defensive positions. So, there’s a path to a long and average ish career for Yainer if he doesn’t get better at that, and there is a path to superstardom if he does. 
I said I was driving the Yainer HOF bandwagon. Not as a prediction but I think he has that kind of talent. 

Is this going to start another jihad between y’all?  

Diaz might have Sal Perez upside at the plate. Perez never learned plate discipline, but a catcher hitting 30 bombs is a rare thing.

No jihad coming from me, I have that dumbass on ignore.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1