2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

5 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

IMG_6434.thumb.jpeg.1475dd6e7f4e1c2f418603965bc1d6ca.jpeg

3 of the 18 qualified hitters with the worst expected wOBA in MLB are getting regular ABs in the Astros lineup. In other words, on most nights, 1/3 of our lineup is made up of 7th percentile hitters or worse.

Julks has been productive though. 

.262 .286 .399

Funny that Yuli and Aledmas Diaz are also on the list. 

McCullers, Garica, and Urquidy out

forgot about this, when are they returning? Did y'all know we have #1 ERA in the majors, even at 3.36 which is pretty high compared to the 2022 LAD/Houston numbers.  So with these 3, should be close to 3.00 for the remaining games if they return. That's a huge advantage with dead bats. 

5 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

.262 .286 .399

I mean, he hasn’t been a trainwreck I guess, but his .685 OPS is bad and his expected stats indicate he’s been a little lucky to even be that “good.” 

• Hook 'Em 1

McCullers, Garica, and Urquidy out

forgot about this, when are they returning? Did y'all know we have #1 ERA in the majors, even at 3.36 which is pretty high compared to the 2022 LAD/Houston numbers.  So with these 3, should be close to 3.00 for the remaining games if they return. That's a huge advantage with dead bats. 
Lol pay attention. LMJ is dead and buried in the H. Garcia had Tommy John so he ain't coming back and Urquidy isn't much better than what we already have replacing him
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

.262 .286 .399

for a guy that wasn’t on the 40 man, he’s shown he’s a back up mlb OF. His hitting is improving and he’s not a total embarrassment in spot starts (and he’s very cheap). He’ll see zero to four at bats in the playoffs if brantley is back. It’s a 162 game season, the entire bench is going to play or your playoff starting 9 will be dead in oct. 

as for yuli …..

Super Bowl GIF by Jeff Dunham

I'm slowly pivoting towards not wanting any big moves to be made at the deadline.

Given the injuries this year, I'm not convinced that we are only one or two pieces away from a trophy.  Our minor league depth is so thin, and any difference maker would surely require the depletion of those assets.  I get that a 2021 Braves-esque run is certainly possible, but I just don't know if that risk aligns with our current reality.

I get that our window is (likely) closing soon, but it's gonna stay closed longer if we ship out our future big leaguers for a fruitless pursuit.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I'm slowly pivoting towards not wanting any big moves to be made at the deadline.

Given the injuries this year, I'm not convinced that we are only one or two pieces away from a trophy.  Our minor league depth is so thin, and any difference maker would surely require the depletion of those assets.  I get that a 2021 Braves-esque run is certainly possible, but I just don't know if that risk aligns with our current reality.

I get that our window is (likely) closing soon, but it's gonna stay closed longer if we ship out our future big leaguers for a fruitless pursuit.

I do t want any moves made with Dusty as the manager. He will just refuse to play them or horrible misallocate any new resources he is given. 

• Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

for a guy that wasn’t on the 40 man, he’s shown he’s a back up mlb OF. His hitting is improving and he’s not a total embarrassment in spot starts (and he’s very cheap). He’ll see zero to four at bats in the playoffs if brantley is back. It’s a 162 game season, the entire bench is going to play or your playoff starting 9 will be dead in oct. 

as for yuli …..

Super Bowl GIF by Jeff Dunham

Cool. Who wants to break the news to Dusty that he’s a back up OF. He’s playing more than Chas and twice as much as Diaz. And more than Dubon who isn’t great but is better than him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Cool. Who wants to break the news to Dusty that he’s a back up OF. He’s playing more than Chas and twice as much as Diaz. And more than Dubon who isn’t great but is better than him. 

I think Dubon has more at bats, both might be all stars 🤩🤩🤩🤩

According to MLB @CoreyJulks has 116,842 votes in the voting for DH on the American League All-Star Team and has a chance to advance to phase two of the voting.

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I think this may be the way to go. I’d love a bat but we don’t have the minor league capital to spend on rentals. If Pirates or Cubs want a package for a Reynolds or Happ that would be here a while maybe, but I don’t even know if that’s possible. I think we should look for a couple high end relievers. They are cheaper. We make the 3rd and 4th starters go no more than 5 in the playoffs, assuming we make it. I don’t want Montero anywhere near the mound. Then we hope all our bats get healthy and/or keep progressing ie Abreu, Brantley and Diaz specifically and that Dusty has the foresight to play them. We can win series with Framber, Javier, Brown, bullpen game, keep them to 4 or less, hope we get a few knocks and Yordan runs into one like last year. Nailbiters.

Or we go into the next series with the Rangers down by 8 games, get swept and go into July 11 games back. What do the Astros look like as sellers? I don’t think it’s even been considered. What kind of package would Tucker bring for a reload if signing him will be problematic? Never considered it until just now but hmmmmm. Orioles have lots of major league ready guys. Does he get you enough prospects to get an already signed Reynolds from Pittsburgh? Does he still want to be traded? Just an example, I have no idea. 
This is the kind of stuff off days put in your head. I shouldn’t even read this stuff at work lol 

I would think our most valuable trade chip is the ability to eat a bad contract.  Otherwise, what’s the point of all this payroll flexibility they continue to tout as we let our players become free agent?  

We really need to sign a couple of free agents this off-season if only to restore depth enough to trade and Urquidy for something else we value more.  

Bruh. Why even do this....i refuse to look at the comments but I am sure they are brutal. He's sucked, but his own teams social media doesn't need to put a platform to bash the fuck out of him which I am guessing is happening.

Just skip his ass and move along lol

227c4d14d2c5a343c36cd77d47a3bb22.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I think this may be the way to go. I’d love a bat but we don’t have the minor league capital to spend on rentals. If Pirates or Cubs want a package for a Reynolds or Happ that would be here a while maybe, but I don’t even know if that’s possible. I think we should look for a couple high end relievers. They are cheaper. We make the 3rd and 4th starters go no more than 5 in the playoffs, assuming we make it. I don’t want Montero anywhere near the mound. Then we hope all our bats get healthy and/or keep progressing ie Abreu, Brantley and Diaz specifically and that Dusty has the foresight to play them. We can win series with Framber, Javier, Brown, bullpen game, keep them to 4 or less, hope we get a few knocks and Yordan runs into one like last year. Nailbiters.

Or we go into the next series with the Rangers down by 8 games, get swept and go into July 11 games back. What do the Astros look like as sellers? I don’t think it’s even been considered. What kind of package would Tucker bring for a reload if signing him will be problematic? Never considered it until just now but hmmmmm. Orioles have lots of major league ready guys. Does he get you enough prospects to get an already signed Reynolds from Pittsburgh? Does he still want to be traded? Just an example, I have no idea. 
This is the kind of stuff off days put in your head. I shouldn’t even read this stuff at work lol 

That is a really fucking interesting question that I had never before considered, but if the team is convinced they can't resign him AND we are 8-10 games out near the deadline, it's certainly something that needs to be on the radar.  Could provide a huge boost to the organization.

(That being said, signing him is still my #1 option. This is only if we think that ship has sailed.)

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I think this may be the way to go. I’d love a bat but we don’t have the minor league capital to spend on rentals.

I don’t want Montero anywhere near the mound.

every mlb gm is going to ask for hunter brown and then some players. IMO it’ll be a sellers market for sure 

montero is fixable, he should be the first arm out of the BP. Racking up those holds 

• Hook 'Em 2

every mlb gm is going to ask for hunter brown and then some players. IMO it’ll be a sellers market for sure 

montero is fixable, he should be the first arm out of the BP. Racking up those holds 
He should be first man out of bullpen so that we still have time to score to correct his fuck up
  • Haha 2

So, it was sort of a depressing week so in honor of sundays performance art abortion of a lineup from we talked best and worst lineups for their season and best possible lineup of all time for the Astros. I had a major brain fart and forgot Jose Altuve (we are both on the road and doing it from hotels without the typical note and computers and the like. Short episode- about 25 minutes. It’s staggering how bad some of the Astros have been this year and how little high qualify stuff there’s been outside of Yordan. 

Spotify

https://open.spotify.com/episode/47rs3bDyYFrrkI9aJJRqJn?si=CXML6N24StiaobmN8mZd0A

apple 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...n-astros-podcast/id1683955456?i=1000616750550

Amazon 

https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/8...he-lineup?ref=dm_sh_efcfvx73t3Vq9qyQfHJb5WA2q

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

@Wulaw Horn have you reached out to anyone for a guest spot / interview ? 

Nobody famous but a couple people that are pretty solid with some stuff they know/that hear things. 
but we aren’t going to get Dana Brown or Jeff Bagwell or Alex Bregman or something like that. 
there’s a couple guys tapped into the Astros org that I’d like to get on especially as it relates to prospects. Had reached out and they were definite maybes.  

50 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What are Tucker’s projections this season? 

I think he’s been bad enough this year to knock himself out of contention for a $300 million contract. 

I don't know his full projection, but his total # of hits and avg are to be on par with what he has been doing.  Problem I have is like the rest of our stars, outside of Yordan, his power has seemed to vanish.   He should be posting .830+ OPS and like 130 OPS+ seasons right now.  He still has time to start smashing, but he has been a letdown so far in my eyes compared to what I think/thought he should/would be doing

• Hook 'Em 2

Oh and his defense just seems to be average.  I could be off on that, just going by the eye test don't actually have anything to back that up.   He will make a pretty damn great catch once a week, but then seems to be lazy as fuck on numerous other balls.   

I guess mostly my irritation is starting to build because it is inevitable that we will end up letting him walk and he will go on to hit 40 homers and 100 rbi's for the next 5 season wherever he goes after having a down year this season if this continues lol.  

Edited by Scraps

4 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Oh and his defense just seems to be average.  I could be off on that, just going by the eye test don't actually have anything to back that up.   He will make a pretty damn great catch once a week, but then seems to be lazy as fuck on numerous other balls.   

Numbers have him amongst the worst in the league. I buy that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1