2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What’s the timeline to move him up to Corpus? I know they can do it whenever they want, but is there a normal time of year to move guys up a level? 

Joey Luperfido was promoted to AA a few games ago. I would expect it very soon to the next couple weeks, but what do I know. I hope if Gilbert does well that he gets a month at triple A at the end of the year.

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

So, we’ve played 5 Of the 6 teams leading their divisions and we are 8-6 against them. 
that would be a 92 win team just playing the cream of the crop. 
that seems low. Win tomorrow and we go to a 97.5 win pace against just division leaders. Much better. 

simmer down, we still must face the buzz saw known as the Oakland A’s 

Let’s say Dubon continues to hit well into June, and Altuve returns. What’s the plan? 

I lean super utility/CF defensive replacement/bench depth. He’s never going to put together many XBH and he hasn’t stolen bags particularly well for his entire career. 

Can the team carry Julks, Uncle Mike, Meyers, and Chas on the 25 man roster? 5 OF’s + Yordan + Dubon feels like too many.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Anyone see that Brian Reynolds extension? 
damn. I’d like to give Tucker double plus that and I’m not sure he’d sign. 
I think I might trade Tucker straight up for Reynolds right now. Probably not bc we are in our competitive window but 8/105 or 9/125 for a Reynolds age 26-34/35 seasons is insanely good.     
not quite Altuve level extension good, but even better than what they have been doing in Atlanta. 

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Let’s say Dubon continues to hit well into June, and Altuve returns. What’s the plan? 

I lean super utility/CF defensive replacement/bench depth. He’s never going to put together many XBH and he hasn’t stolen bags particularly well for his entire career. 

Can the team carry Julks, Uncle Mike, Meyers, and Chas on the 25 man roster? 5 OF’s + Yordan + Dubon feels like too many.

I would carry them and Dubon also fills the Hensley role until he figures something out as he is not helping anybody being in the lineup now.

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What’s the timeline to move him up to Corpus? I know they can do it whenever they want, but is there a normal time of year to move guys up a level? 

Gilbert is hitting .367 with 5 2B, 3 HR, w 1.089 OPS this season. Zach Dezenzo (12th Rd/2022) is hitting .357 with 6 2B, 1 HR, w .997 OPS.

There are a couple of other kids with OPS over 1.000, that have played in half as many games. Asheville 2023

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Clifford doing well in A ball, I wonder with his size, 6'3" if they will develop him as a 1B to replace Abreu. He's getting time at the position right now.

He was supposed to be 1b/LF.  With the depth we have in the OF right now his quickest and best path is probably 1B, even if it is a lesser defensive position

47 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Just watch, this shitty lineup will put up 8. 

Or 1.

Same as yesterday's that put up 5, except for Diaz instead of Maldy which should be an improvement.  Let's win the series and make Ranger fan start to sweat that their time on top might last less than a month.

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

Reds walked it off today to finish the sweep

Yep... now the Astros need to do their part and make that .5 game lead feel really uncomfortable.  Like I said...  it will be some funny shit if the Astros are back on top by the end of April given the respective starts from the Astros and Rangers.