100 Foot Wave

RPM

• 3 weeks later...

Episode 3 of Season 2 was maybe my favorite of the show. Very Justine-centric. They go to Mavericks in Northern California then on to Jaws in Hawaii. So you have some Gareth and CJ as well. The cinematography on this show is outstanding. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Watched the 1st 2 eps of S2 last night and was blown away.  The very first shot of the break in S2E1 after they've all talked about getting back there, getting ready, etc, but no surfers/skis out there yet was just breathtaking.  Same with the shots of the waves during the lockdown w/ no one out there...it's magnificent that this place even exists, even without the audacity of these surfers to try and survive riding there.  The one thing I don't think is accurately conveyed is just how blazing fast those surfers are ripping down that wave - as fast as it looks, it feels like it just isn't doing justice to what a human balancing on a piece of styrofoam is doing vs Poseidon.

All I could think of so far was how everything good kind of kills itself these days.  When Garrett first started going there, it was empty and no one really knew about it, other than the whispers of a legendary break.  But he brought a film crew, showed the world how amazing it was, and now it's rush hour on the waves and cliffs.  

7 minutes ago, Mittens said:

it feels like it just isn't doing justice to what a human balancing on a piece of styrofoam is doing vs Poseidon.

In E3, the nose cam on Justine’s board during her big ride gives that. Hell, most people couldn’t stay on the board in the tow portion much less flying down the face of a 60 foot wave. She’s such a badass. An amazing shot. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Is he affiliated with the proposed Surf Lakes in Del Valle?

I don't know.  I didn't know who he was. I just found out that was him by clicking on this link today after hearing that he had surfed a 100 foot wave.  Here's how it went down.

My buddy told me that guy Garret surfed 100 foot wave last year. 

My response to Garret was a nod of compliment and I said, "cool, I guess you wear a helmet for that, right?" 

He said "yeah."  

We just hung out.  It was his wife's birthday.

I did some cool flips off the diving board and went on a walk around the pool and hills.  

Lots of yoga and twirlers and people not working on a Tuesday.

10 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

In E3, the nose cam on Justine’s board during her big ride gives that. Hell, most people couldn’t stay on the board in the tow portion much less flying down the face of a 60 foot wave. She’s such a badass. An amazing shot. 

Thought Kai's 360 cam was amazing.  That massive wave breaking well behind him but the foam just eating him up.

@Elvis do you feel retroactively impressed now that you know what that dude has done?

I’m really loving this show. Back in the early 2000s my younger brother and I saw Riding Giants and Step Into Liquid in the theater (I think Dobie for both). Loved those films, so this is in line with those (at least subject matter). It just makes me want to chase my dreams more. It makes me happy that there are people in the world like this.

I was never not un-impressed. 

It’s cool that he did it. It’s cool that they made a show about.  He and his wife were cool. I think I’m pretty cool.  

I haven’t watched his show yet. I bet it’s cool. 

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m really loving this show. Back in the early 2000s my younger brother and I saw Riding Giants and Step Into Liquid in the theater (I think Dobie for both). Loved those films, so this is in line with those (at least subject matter). It just makes me want to chase my dreams more. It makes me happy that there are people in the world like this.

I always loved surfing, Riding Giants took it to 11. Greg Noll is my spirit animal.

10 hours ago, RPM said:

The only thing that bugged me was they kept calling it the barrel. It's the pipeline, damnit! 

Am I missing a joke or reference here?

Pipeline is a break on the North Shore (Pipe as surfers call it). Getting barreled is exactly what Justine did. That part of the wave is the barrel. No one calls it the pipeline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banzai_Pipeline

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_surfing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barreling_wave

The closest I've ever come to surfing is watching it on TV. I know jack shit. But, I'd always heard being inside the curl referred to as "in the pipeline", never heard it called "the barrel". I'll go back to my recliner and turn Gidget back on. Where's my bourbon?

4 minutes ago, RPM said:

The closest I've ever come to surfing is watching it on TV. I know jack shit. But, I'd always heard being inside the curl referred to as "in the pipeline", never heard it called "the barrel". I'll go back to my recliner and turn Gidget back on. Where's my bourbon?

Just making sure I wasn’t missing a joke/reference.

no one for at least the last 20 years(if not longer) has called it that.

pass the bourbon.

• 2 weeks later...

These guys are insane.

Watching the footage at nazare, the amateur geologist in me is fascinated at how those rocks jutting out from the point are still there.  The sheer force of those waves hitting them should have ground them to sand.