Tell me about ou

Texas007

On 2/2/2022 at 3:04 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Are you trying to be dense?  Nebraska has no natural recruiting turf.  Dallas is 2.5 hours from OU.  It's the same recruiting ground as Texas and Aggy, for the most part.  If there's something that's going to wreck OU and many other teams that were traditional powers, it's NIL.  Look at Lane Kiffin's quotes.  It's like the NFL with certain teams not having a salary cap.  With the bag game it was already a little like that...now it's that on steroids and big corporate money can get involved. 

How do you think aggy landed the top class?  Yeah, that could turn football on it's head but OU's footprint in the SEC vs 12 isn't gonna turn them into Nebraska.  

I didn't say that OU has no natural recruiting turf. I said that its recruiting turf is going to be the worst in the SEC's and I stand by that. Even Vanderbilt's is better.  Of course, other factors preclude them from being a power in football.  

Dallas IS 2.5 hours from OU but that's pretty much it.  My guess is that there are something like 23 million people within 200 miles of Austin and perhaps 30% of that number for Norman, Oklahoma. And OU is fighting A&M and Texas in Dallas.

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I didn't say that OU has no natural recruiting turf. I said that its recruiting turf is going to be the worst in the SEC's and I stand by that. Even Vanderbilt's is better.  Of course, other factors preclude them from being a power in football.  

Dallas IS 2.5 hours from OU but that's pretty much it.  My guess is that there are something like 23 million people within 200 miles of Austin and perhaps 30% of that number for Norman, Oklahoma. And OU is fighting A&M and Texas in Dallas.

Agree to disagree.  Just remember, OU sucks.

On 2/9/2022 at 3:35 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

It's not just talent in the 200 mile radius, it's how many high resources programs you have to knife fight to get that talent.  The DFW (and Texas overall) recruiting wars are a lot less fierce than the same fights in the southeast.  There's enough talent in Texas (and Oklahoma, for OU's purposes) to feed UT, A&M, and OU top 10 classes annually. 

When you factor in regional competition, OU is probably about 8th or 9th in the SEC with respect to local recruiting turf - ahead of Mizzou, Arky, Kentucky, Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss State, South Carolina, and Tennessee.  OU bottoming out in the SEC should still have Auburnish talent. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Brutal Watch...  Doesn't take 1st question until 21min mark

Ramblin' Opening Comments -- Full of Cliche's and CoachSpeak...

• 11 Early Entry from High School
  • 10 Transfers already practicing
  • 23 Seniors  

Edited by LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Texas has beat the ever living shit out of OU every off season dating back to Mack’s first year.  And aggy is beating everyone’s brakes off these days.  Let’s play some games and see where things shake out. 

I'll be surprised if blOU isn't one of the two preseason favorites to win the Big 12 along with baylor...  

Texas is probably #4 in Big 12 preseason

Edited by LTtxfan

On 2/10/2022 at 11:26 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but OU has always been in the state of Oklahoma.  

It was actually founded in 1890 when it was in the Oklahoma Territory. Barry Switzer, Bob Stoops, and Toby Keith hadn't been born yet, so it sucked considerably less at the time. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

It was actually founded in 1890 when it was in the Oklahoma Territory. Barry Switzer, Bob Stoops, and Toby Keith hadn't been born yet, so it sucked considerably less at the time. 

Don’t leave Gundy out.  He’s about as okie as it gets.  So glad I left that shithole behind.  

Article on OL transfer from Cal

Oklahoma OG McKade Mettauer Needed 'About 10 Minutes' to Decide to Transfer to OU

The former California Golden Bears lineman knew Oklahoma was the place for him as soon as Bill Bedenbaugh reached out after hitting the transfer portal.

RYAN CHAPMAN     APR 8, 2022

NORMAN — The recruiting process wash short and to the point for new Oklahoma offensive lineman McKade Mettauer.

The offensive guard hit the transfer portal after starting 28 games over the past three seasons with California, and was named to the All Pro Football Focus Pac-12 Second Team last year.

Once OU offensive line coach Bill Bedenbaugh reached out, Mettauer needed just minutes to decide his next career move.

“I always wanted to go to Oklahoma, I just didn’t get the opportunity to go out of high school,” Mettauer said during a media availability on Wednesday. “The recruiting pitch when I started to transfer, there wasn’t really one. I knew Oklahoma was Oklahoma.

“I think the recruiting process was probably about 10 minutes. He called me and said we’ve got a spot for you and I said OK I’ll think about it. I called him right back and said I’m in.”

From there, Mettauer had conversations with offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby and head coach Brent Venables, but he knew he was locked in with the Sooners.

“(Lebby) gave me a call during the recruitment process, and that was a little bit of a pull just knowing that the whole staff wanted me and needed me,” Mettauer said. “And Coach Venables, he can talk, but he didn't have to do that with me. He said he liked that about me, and they didn't have to spend much time because they knew that I was committed to the program."

After arriving in Norman, Mettauer said it didn’t take long to notice a clear shift in culture.  Not only is the competition at Oklahoma a step up, but the energy surrounding the program is a massive difference than what he said he experienced at California.

“Originally I’m from Houston so growing up in Texas, the football has always been kind of a main priority in our culture,” Mettauer said. “Going to the west, it was cool. I had a good time there. It just wasn’t that intense of an environment.

“Coming back to this, it just feels good for this to be a priority in a lot of people’s lives and the intensity on the field is great and around the facility.”

Now that he’s in the height of spring practice, Mettauer said he’s adjusted to his new team, he’s just hoping to make an impact on the field.

Part of that yearning for playing time has seen Mettauer work at both left and right guard, even though he was only deployed previously as a right guard during his college career.

“For the past four practices, I’ve been at left (guard),” Mettauer said. “There was one practice where I was with the ones at right guard. Going back and forth shows my versatility. I like being able to switch back and forth.

“When they had said I had a chance to play left over here, I jumped at it. I wasn’t scared switching sides. Whenever you are getting ready for the NFL, versatility is key.”

The willingness to switch back and forth doesn’t necessarily mean the transition is easy, however. Mettauer did admit there’s an adjustment period every time he slides over to the other side of the line.

“I think there’s a pretty big difference when you switch over,” Mettauer said. “I would say it takes at least half a practice to get that stance… It doesn’t take long, but there is a bit of an adjustment period.”

Mettauer will have a chance to play a large role for the Sooners both on and off the field in 2022.

The losses of Tyrese Robinson and Marquis Hayes to the NFL leave not only a couple of starting spots up for grabs, but a bit of a leadership void in the offensive line room.

With three years of college football under his belt, Mettauer has the experience to help lead, but he said he still felt like he had to earn the respect of his new teammates.

“I think that no matter what you do in the past, when you go to a new place, there are going to be guys who are – not skeptical – but you have to prove yourself wherever you go,” Mettauer said. “I didn't feel comfortable at the beginning. I wasn't going to be out on the first day telling guys what to do… I think that's part of it when you're the new guy.

“Now, getting in pads and further proving myself, I do think that a lot of guys are starting to acclimate to me and ask for help knowing that I have that experience."

Despite his initial hesitations, Mettauer’s teammate Wanya Morris said that the California transfer has been a major boost to the position group since the day he arrived on campus.

“From the first day, McKade’s been a very vocal guy since he’s got here,” Morris said on Wednesday. “It feels like he’s always been here, really. Friendly guy, but when we get to work, we get to work. In the film room, he’s one of the first people there all the time. I respect the hell out of him.”

Overall, Mettauer is pleased with how he’s adjusted to his new team, and he’s just looking forward to continuing to grow within the offense and Bedenbaugh’s system.

“I think I’ve done a good job of acclimating myself to the new offense,” he said. “Since I’m an older guy, I’ve learned offenses like this before so I’ve been able to teach some of the younger guys.

“Even when I wasn’t out on the field, I’ve been able to prove myself and climb the ladder a little bit.”

• 2 weeks later...

Sooner Legend Barry Switzer Helps Launch ‘1Oklahoma’ NIL Collective

ByBryan Clinton       Posted on April 22, 2022

Legendary Oklahoma football coach Barry Switzer has partnered with an NIL collective called “1Oklahoma” to bring the first official NIL collective to Norman.

Switzer is reportedly spearheading the operation, bringing a unique twist to Oklahoma’s much-anticipated NIL opportunity.

In its mission statement, 1Oklahoma vows to “deliver one of the most comprehensive and impactful NIL offerings in the country.”

Here is a look at the collective’s story, found on their website, 1oklahoma.com.

“A group of Oklahoma businessmen, community leaders, alumni, and leaders in the faith-based community have partnered alongside Hall of Fame Coach Barry Switzer to form a one-of-a-kind NIL collective doing business as 1Oklahoma Foundation. 1Oklahoma Foundation is a non-profit organization committed to collaborating with and serving some of the most impactful non-profits throughout the state of Oklahoma through the Name, Image, and Likeness of OU athletes. 1Oklahoma Collective will deliver one of the most comprehensive and impactful NIL offerings in the country.

“1Oklahoma Foundation Athletes will have the opportunity to earn NIL Revenue while contributing to the greater good of their community. This impact will come via partnerships with 1Oklahoma partner non-profits in various communities throughout Oklahoma. The spirit of making a difference aligns with the high standards for student-athletes set forth by the OU athletic programs. It aligns with the statewide “Oklahoma Standard” initiative of preserving and promoting a culture of citizens making a difference through Acts of Service. 1Oklahoma Foundation is excited to partner with OU athletes from the Football, Men’s Basketball, and Softball Programs.”

With teams like Texas and Texas A&M showing what NIL opportunities can provide for student-athletes, Oklahoma needed to find a way to compete, and it appears that they have. Having a name like Barry Switzer running the show will help this collective bring in the funds it needs to ensure that the Sooners can offer top-tier NIL deals to stay among the best recruiting schools in the country.

Switzer hasn’t done a thing in the last 30 years that didn’t benefit him personally. He’s always hated that salaries didn’t explode until right after he was done. He’ll be taking a huge chunk of the money coming in from second mortgages in the trailer park.

On 4/22/2022 at 10:48 PM, LTtxfan said:

Sooner Legend Barry Switzer Helps Launch ‘1Oklahoma’ NIL Collective

ByBryan Clinton       Posted on April 22, 2022

Legendary Oklahoma football coach Barry Switzer has partnered with an NIL collective called “1Oklahoma” to bring the first official NIL collective to Norman.

Switzer is reportedly spearheading the operation, bringing a unique twist to Oklahoma’s much-anticipated NIL opportunity.

In its mission statement, 1Oklahoma vows to “deliver one of the most comprehensive and impactful NIL offerings in the country.”

Here is a look at the collective’s story, found on their website, 1oklahoma.com.

“A group of Oklahoma businessmen, community leaders, alumni, and leaders in the faith-based community have partnered alongside Hall of Fame Coach Barry Switzer to form a one-of-a-kind NIL collective doing business as 1Oklahoma Foundation. 1Oklahoma Foundation is a non-profit organization committed to collaborating with and serving some of the most impactful non-profits throughout the state of Oklahoma through the Name, Image, and Likeness of OU athletes. 1Oklahoma Collective will deliver one of the most comprehensive and impactful NIL offerings in the country.

“1Oklahoma Foundation Athletes will have the opportunity to earn NIL Revenue while contributing to the greater good of their community. This impact will come via partnerships with 1Oklahoma partner non-profits in various communities throughout Oklahoma. The spirit of making a difference aligns with the high standards for student-athletes set forth by the OU athletic programs. It aligns with the statewide “Oklahoma Standard” initiative of preserving and promoting a culture of citizens making a difference through Acts of Service. 1Oklahoma Foundation is excited to partner with OU athletes from the Football, Men’s Basketball, and Softball Programs.”

With teams like Texas and Texas A&M showing what NIL opportunities can provide for student-athletes, Oklahoma needed to find a way to compete, and it appears that they have. Having a name like Barry Switzer running the show will help this collective bring in the funds it needs to ensure that the Sooners can offer top-tier NIL deals to stay among the best recruiting schools in the country.

So what are the chances Switzer calls himself an agent and takes 20% of everything off the top?