Tell me about ou

Texas007

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Typical message board drivel...that kicks into overdrive when evaluating your main rival.  I'm sure there would be people shaking in their boots if they pulled Bill Parcels out of some nursing home to coach OU.  Fans are morons, even more so when evaluating their rivals moves...shocking stuff. 

When this was first announced out of all the names out there, I said I wanted Mark Stoops or BV - if he was available.  Luckily, it's posted for all time right here.  But people assume anything that isn't a huge splash is a bad hire - and to be fair look at how UT's nonsplash hires have turned out - can you blame them for having the attitude they have?  

Nothing about this hire screams immediate success imo. Changing from an offensive minded coach to defense will take at least two seasons if all goes well. This is a very whelming hire imo

20 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

^^^^^Above is reality^^^^^

Below are earlier today press conference false hopes 😋

To save you the trouble, from OU's 9.95ers or publicly, three more commits have indicated they're at least wavering: Gentry Williams (top 100 guy), Kip Lewis, and Xavion Brice. This is not unique. LSU's had players leave too. The portal will be interesting this year.

8 minutes ago, Constant said:

Adam Sandler Dodgeball GIF

Bedenbaugh staying, Schmidt returning, Lebby on board, big names on D staff in the pipe…

Bedenbaugh's best OLs played when he and Schmidt (apparently) had tension, right?

What do you think about Schmidt returning? I'm ambivalent about the "A Team"- like approach that's being executed. I hope Schmidt has updated some of his demeaning tactics in the last few years.

I guess Lebby's hire means his reputation post-Baylor has been rehabilitated.

17 minutes ago, quigley said:

Bedenbaugh's best OLs played when he and Schmidt (apparently) had tension, right?

What do you think about Schmidt returning? I'm ambivalent about the "A Team"- like approach that's being executed. I hope Schmidt has updated some of his demeaning tactics in the last few years.

I don’t pretend to understand the ins-n-outs of the S&C world. I know we seemed tougher, stronger, faster, and better conditioned under Schmidt.  I see former players of his and they all swear by him, and I just assume he’s one of the best. I respect their opinions.

I know he’s better than Wylie. Wylie’s biggest fault is he wants to be everyones friend. He would let players slide when they wanted to. That shits over. 

Edited by Constant

9 minutes ago, quigley said:

His 2017 and 18 lines were his best, but Schmidt left after the 2017 season.

5 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I’d say 2017 was his best line. 2018 wasn’t that great. They got pushed around some, but Kyler masked most of it. It’s gotten progressively worse as the years go on, and the problem isn’t Bedenbaugh. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The imprint of the 2018 line was set prior to that season because all the players had been together (Creed was there for only a year).

The great point is that Bendenbaugh's OU OL were better from 2014-2017 than they've been since that 2018 class left despite the "star ratings" of the recruits.

7 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

All this promotion by OU has the desperation energy of a divorced middle aged woman on facebook.

Hey, we just got left out of nowhere for the hot secretary.  We thought we had time before we really had to hit the gym and look into dying our hair back blonde.

Besides, who gets after it better than a scorned woman?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 HOURS AGO          SCOTT ROUSSEL

Source: Oklahoma adding another FBS defensive coordinator to staff

Source tells FootballScoop Brent Venables is planning to add Brandon Hall to his defensive staff.  Hall served as defensive coordinator at Troy the past three seasons and four seasons prior to that at Jacksonville State. 

Hall's career began at Oklahoma, serving as a student assistant in the late nineties before becoming a graduate assistant for Venables. He would remain on staff at OU through the 2005 season.  

After spending one season at Northern Iowa, Hall returned to the state of Oklahoma where he served as defensive coordinator at Broken Arrow HS. He would go on to coach linebackers for three seasons at Central Oklahoma before returning to OU for one season (2011 - Venables' final season before leaving for Clemson). 

Hall would then coach at Arkansas State for one season with Gus Malzahn before going with Gus to Auburn for one season before he became defensive coordinator at Jacksonville State. 

The past ten seasons Hall has worked with safeties so one would think he would coach that for Venables who yesterday announced Ted Roof as defensive coordinator / linebackers. 

DEC 10, 2021          ZACH BARNETT

Brent Venables hires Ted Roof as defensive coordinator at Oklahoma

Oklahoma represents Roof's 11th different school to employ him as a defensive coordinator.

For a time, Jeff Lebby as Oklahoma's offensive coordinator seemed like the worst-kept secret in coaching. In fact, calling it a secret may even be generous; a secret implies it's information the owner doesn't want the public to know. A former student assistant at OU under Bob Stoops and now the offensive coordinator as one of the most explosive attacks in college football, Lebby's return to Norman seemed a fait accompli almost no matter who got the head job.

But the defensive coordinator hire was another matter.

Unlike Lincoln Riley, a first-time head coach who got the job thanks to his prowess as a play-caller, Brent Venables said shortly after accepting the OU head job that he would not be his own defensive coordinator. That begged the question: So who would? And that was an actually well-kept secret.

On Friday, OU announced Ted Roof as its new defensive coordinator and linebackers coach.

"Ted is one of the most experienced coordinators and one of the best teachers in all of college football, and he's done it in some of the premier conferences in the sport – the SEC, Big Ten and ACC," Venables said. "He has a tremendous wealth of knowledge and experience, most of which has been in the southeastern part of the country where he is very well connected. He's been a head coach, is a fabulous recruiter and is one of the most revered players in Georgia Tech history from his time as a linebacker there. We're fortunate to have a person of his stature lead our defense, and he's going to make us stronger and tougher on that side of the ball."

Calling Roof experienced is like calling Steph Curry a good shooter. 

Oklahoma represents the 11th different program Roof as defensively-coordinated, stretching back to his first such job, at UMass in 1995. In between UMass and OU there were Georgia Tech, Duke, Minnesota, Auburn, UCF, Penn State, North Carolina State, Appalachian State and Vanderbilt -- and that doesn't include four years as the head coach at Duke.

"There have been so many great coaches, players and tough-minded competitors who have made up all the championship teams that have been part of the incredible Oklahoma tradition," Roof said. "For me, it is an honor and a privilege to serve on an OU football staff under the strong leadership of Coach Venables. I have a tremendous amount of admiration and respect for him both as a man and a coach. He's got a long track record of success, molding championship teams and maximizing student-athletes' football abilities. But he gives them much more than that. He equips them with the tools and helps them develop the successful habits that will make them champions off the field for the rest of their lives. Brent gets that. He understands the privilege and responsibility that goes with it."

Roof spent 2021 as a defensive assistant at Clemson. His 2020 Vanderbilt unit ranked 126th in yards per play, but his 2019 App State unit was among the top 25. 

Friday's announcement did not specify who will call plays when September rolls around.

Regardless, Venables-the-head-coach will likely be similar to Kirby Smart, Nick Saban and so many others, where no matter whose tongue delivers the call, it'll always be the head man's defense. At Texas A&M, Jimbo Fisher calls his own plays while also employing Darrell Dickey as his offensive coordinator.

Venables' quote about Roof's southeastern recruiting ties could also be a indicative of future priorities. Oklahoma's first new offer under the Venables regime went to a Florida defensive tackle, and by Friday three different Clemson recruits at IMG Academy in Florida have decommitted. Oklahoma could get involved for some or all of that group.

On 12/7/2021 at 9:29 PM, quigley said:

The imprint of the 2018 line was set prior to that season because all the players had been together (Creed was there for only a year).

The great point is that Bendenbaugh's OU OL were better from 2014-2017 than they've been since that 2018 class left despite the "star ratings" of the recruits.

Yeah.  Creed has been a lot better in the NFL this year than he was in his last year of college.  OU whiffed entirely on its 2018 and 2019 OL classes.  The factor that changed was the S&C coach.

2018:
Brey Walker - 5 star
Tramonda Moore - 4 star
Darrell Simpson - 4 star
David Swaby - 3 star

2019:  
Stacey Wikins - 4 star
EJ Ndoma Ogar - 4 star
Marcus Alexander - 4 star
Finley Felix - 3 star

There's still a lot of frontline talent in that OL room if the players don't quit once the S&C staff starts challenging their manhood.  Bedenbaugh has recruited really well on paper.  Just kind of goes to show how catastrophically bad the Bennie Wylie hire was.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

Yeah.  Creed has been a lot better in the NFL this year than he was in his last year of college.  OU whiffed entirely on its 2018 and 2019 OL classes.  The factor that changed was the S&C coach.

2018:
Brey Walker - 5 star
Tramonda Moore - 4 star
Darrell Simpson - 4 star
David Swaby - 3 star

2019:  
Stacey Wikins - 4 star
EJ Ndoma Ogar - 4 star
Marcus Alexander - 4 star
Finley Felix - 3 star

There's still a lot of frontline talent in that OL room if the players don't quit once the S&C staff starts challenging their manhood.  Bedenbaugh has recruited really well on paper.  Just kind of goes to show how catastrophically bad the Bennie Wylie hire was.

Only two OL recruits from those two classes, Darrell Simpson and Marcus Alexander, are still at OU. Neither has made the two deep at any point.

From the standpoint of quickness, flexibility, and explosiveness, I think OU looked okay. Overall cardiovascular conditioning was an issue. The Sooner defense had to substitute so much to keep guys fresh, even in big games. I agree with rotating DL players in sequentially for ~ 1-2 series in the first half and a series in the second. But OU had whole line changes throughout the game. The Sooner OL looked fat and gassed in the first half. Others have commented on the overall strength of the team being worse. I'm not sure about that.

Specifically for the OL, I'm not doubt that Riley's GT pulling scheme is going to be the focus at OU moving forward. That may be good because I really like the simplicity of Lebby's run scheme, and it works.

Riley's scheme is apparently hard to teach and learn so I wonder if he even uses it at USC.

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

No way OU is vibing Venables like they’re acting. 

Actually 100% am.  And I posted it here well before he was hired - like 5 min after LR left. OU has been winning a LOT. It’s probably hubris.  You all could hire Belichik and would have a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach.  It’s human nature. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't mean to sound like an OU hater (I am an OU hater, but that's beside the point), but it looks like all of these coaching hires are out of convenience/buddy system and not exactly proven leadership/coaching talent. 

Edited by Doze

6 minutes ago, Doze said:

I don't mean to sound like an OU hater (I am an OU hater, but that's beside the point), but it looks like all of these coaching hires are out of convenience/buddy system and not exactly proven leadership/coaching talent. 

Believe it or not, I trust Venables’ judgment on his hires more than yours. We will be just fine. Texas loves predicting OU’s demise with a pretty terrible hit rate. 

23 hours ago, quigley said:

Only two OL recruits from those two classes, Darrell Simpson and Marcus Alexander, are still at OU. Neither has made the two deep at any point.

From the standpoint of quickness, flexibility, and explosiveness, I think OU looked okay. Overall cardiovascular conditioning was an issue. The Sooner defense had to substitute so much to keep guys fresh, even in big games. I agree with rotating DL players in sequentially for ~ 1-2 series in the first half and a series in the second. But OU had whole line changes throughout the game. The Sooner OL looked fat and gassed in the first half. Others have commented on the overall strength of the team being worse. I'm not sure about that.

Specifically for the OL, I'm not doubt that Riley's GT pulling scheme is going to be the focus at OU moving forward. That may be good because I really like the simplicity of Lebby's run scheme, and it works.

Riley's scheme is apparently hard to teach and learn so I wonder if he even uses it at USC.

That GT pulling scheme is getting figured out fast.  It's also slow developing and needs a good run/pass QB and those are hard to find.  Rush 3 lineman, drop 8, let the play develop and just flood wherever it goes.  Also, OU's offensive line got progressively worse each year so sometimes those 3 would beat their 5.

7 hours ago, David Dennison said:

They think we all forgot how he got run out of Norman.

🤪🤪

I haven't forgotten anything.

Venables didn't get run out, and his defenses were good to excellent during his tenure as the sole DC. That's what you forgot. This is covered on the recruiting board in detail so you can look up there and go to footballoutsiders.com and review the primary data regarding defensive efficiency.

On 12/13/2021 at 8:45 AM, Constant said:

Believe it or not, I trust Venables’ judgment on his hires more than yours. We will be just fine. Texas loves predicting OU’s demise with a pretty terrible hit rate. 

So you don't have a problem with Lebby's rape enabling and coverups?

On 12/12/2021 at 7:52 AM, LTtxfan said:

16 HOURS AGO          SCOTT ROUSSEL

Source: Oklahoma adding another FBS defensive coordinator to staff

Source tells FootballScoop Brent Venables is planning to add Brandon Hall to his defensive staff.  Hall served as defensive coordinator at Troy the past three seasons and four seasons prior to that at Jacksonville State. 

So, Hall was the DC at Troy? I read that Troy initially had a pretty salty defense. That its defensive line was as if it was a tall, strong wall repelling all attacks.

Then, as time and the season wore on, so too did Troy. I read that they lost a key player, a rover named Paris. But, the Men of Troy stayed resolute which began to bring doubts to their opponents.  You see, Troy's opponents had their own Achilles' heel and they became tired of being bent over while Troy went Greek on them, unlubed no less.

So, seeing that a frontal attack was of no use, Troy's opponents resorted to trickeration. They used the old, "hide the ball in the belly of the Horse" play, Troy completely fell for it and the Troy defense completely fell apart leading to their utter defeat.

So, we have THAT going for us too.