At what point does monetary value outweigh sentimental value?

Sandman

I feel that it is the eventual fate of every special object to wind up in the trembling hands of a relative who is addicted to a drug or a habit that demands cash faster than an honest job can provide.

The pawn shop is the sandbar on which these treasures wash up.

Therefore, to really keep things in the family, train a spare kid to become a pawn broker. Good on-the-spot arithmetic skills, a jailhouse lawyer's eye for detail, and a jaundiced view of the frailty of humanity. Look around your house-- which kid looks the most like Humphrey Bogart? That's your man.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Nope - that happened, but that ball was long ago lost to history.  Never ended up with my family.  The Cleveland Indians ball was given to my uncle, that UT pitcher.  And again...no big sentimental attachment to it.

Well, it’s still a wonderful story if I remember it 20 years later.

My middlin’ gun collection is going to two of my three sons - I don’t care if they or their kids sell them, except for a couple of handguns that were carried by their ancestors. 
There are a couple of antique lamps and some nice wood furniture from Mrs. Brat’s grandparents, plus three sets of China and our extensive silverware that nobody seems to want. They’ll look good sitting for sale at some antique mall frequented by junk collectors.

My dad’s coin collection will undoubtedly get sold, but much of Mrs. Brat’s jewelry will wind up going to our granddaughter and the boys’ girlfriends/wives…whomever.

Lots of brac-a-brac shit can be sold in a yard sale to junk buyers. 
Most of the family photos &videos have been digitized. 
My dad’s WW2 paper memoirs have yet to be scanned & digitized.

• Hook 'Em 1

My middlin’ gun collection is going to two of my three sons - I don’t care if they or their kids sell them, except for a couple of handguns that were carried by their ancestors. 
There are a couple of antique lamps and some nice wood furniture from Mrs. Brat’s grandparents, plus three sets of China and our extensive silverware that nobody seems to want. They’ll look good sitting for sale at some antique mall frequented by junk collectors.
My dad’s coin collection will undoubtedly get sold, but much of Mrs. Brat’s jewelry will wind up going to our granddaughter and the boys’ girlfriends/wives…whomever.

Who gets your cave paintings? It’s hard to find a good rendition of an aurochs these days.
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Who gets your cave paintings? It’s hard to find a good rendition of an aurochs these days.

Pretty sure the French Government seized those as World Heritage Sites. French wasn't even invented when Brat smoothed out that ochre pigment.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

I’ll give you 20 bucks for your atlatl….

I'm sentimental to a fault.. its irritating sometimes, as it takes a great deal of emotional energy to part with everyday crap.. like coolers that are broken, my sons first baseball backpack that's falling apart, ect.. 

However, I do want to give my valuable stuff away when Im still alive.. whats the point of waiting until your dead? 

1 hour ago, texashorne said:

I'm sentimental to a fault.. its irritating sometimes, as it takes a great deal of emotional energy to part with everyday crap.. like coolers that are broken, my sons first baseball backpack that's falling apart, ect.. 

However, I do want to give my valuable stuff away when Im still alive.. whats the point of waiting until your dead? 

How do you know when you’re going to die?  If you live to 100 you might need it.

1 hour ago, texashorne said:

This is me.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, huge said:

Some assholes stole my dad's original Rolex that he bought before he had any money.  I was sentimental about that watch.  He replaced it but whatever, it's not the one he bought in the 60s before he knew any better.

We have 120 acres left that were original Spanish land grant business and I have been told I am not to sell it (assuming I inherit it I guess).  Thankfully I don't need the money.

I am not sentimental about that land but I want to be.

Maybe you should dig a hole on that land.  I bet that makes it more sentimental.

Main sentimental things I have are my 69 Mustang I bought from the guy across the street when I was 15 and my dad's old trains.  Maybe some old rifles but my brother got the Browning Superposed shotgun I thought I was to inherit.

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Nope - that happened, but that ball was long ago lost to history.  Never ended up with my family.  The Cleveland Indians ball was given to my uncle, that UT pitcher.  And again...no big sentimental attachment to it.

One of the better stories I have ever heard.  Barnstorming was a thing back then in the MLB offseason.  The pros needed the money.  A college pitcher squaring off against Lou Gehrig in his prime is crazy.  Wish you had the ball.

13 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Mom spent years scanning in decades worth of photos.  They still have the originals organized in massive photo albums.  Wife's g-father's WWII medals are something I want to stay in the family.  We also tried to find his service records and traced them back to a fire in St. Louis, where his, and thousands of others were lost.  This old bird participated in the invasion of Europe (we don't know which beach) and had a Hitler youth knife taken off a soldier.  

I've been through this lately. I'm sentimental as they come. My dad left me his watches and his guns. I wear the watches, but I don't use the guns these days. I sold 3 to some Surly folk last year, and while it felt strange, I don't miss them. We had to clear out my mom's house a couple of years ago, and I grabbed some of my dad's barware and bought the bad ass McIntosh loaded record player console away from the estate sale. It now has been restored and is the thing I hope will be in our family for generations to come. I'll keep the watches and a few of the guns. But most of the guns still are for sale.

I've got my dad's old log books from when he was taking flying lessons back I. The 1930s. Those stay with me.

I've also got this inscribed box my dad's firmer business partner gave him when my dad took the reins of the company in 1956. It's been on a table in my office for 20 years and counting. Priceless.

7c03e403fbf0847b5f4dd3d29689af07.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1