Hunting ‘23/‘24: Bag ‘em and Tag ‘em

Haven't seen any in the flesh yet, but there are plenty of signs at my lease that there are some very large hogs. Was out there exploring this past Saturday, getting more familiarized with which roads lead where. Walked down to the bone-dry "watering hole" and passed some relatively fresh hoof prints in the sand that were way too big to be a deer. Walked around to the somewhat cleared out area behind the pond and there were some rather large crap piles, also definitely not from a deer.

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF Jr. bought a 10 inch can for his .450BM and 400gr. subsonic ammo to shoot hogs out of the stand with this year. It sounds like a big pellet gun:

450Bush.jpg

CHIEF

I've got a Ruger Ranch in 300blk, but I've thought about getting it in 450 BM.  Already have a big bore can for it.  

Sorry shoulda put more info than a blind link…

Buy a set vortex binos for $249 and get the $125 FHF pro-m Bino harness free. Today only

cc0cb639578260bc11bd250f721cce9e.jpg

2 hours ago, cabowabo said:

I've got a Ruger Ranch in 300blk, but I've thought about getting it in 450 BM.  Already have a big bore can for it.  

Do it. It’s a thumper with over 1000 lbs. of kinetic energy at 100 yards. We keep hoping TPWD will open an early deer season for black powder and straight sided cartridges. 

CHIEF

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

Do it. It’s a thumper with over 1000 lbs. of kinetic energy at 100 yards. We keep hoping TPWD will open an early deer season for black powder and straight sided cartridges. 

CHIEF

I’ve got to do some research and see if my thermal scope could handle the recoil. I think it’s rated for up to 308.  Although it would still be cool, it’s much less attractive if I cannot conduct nighttime operations with a thermal on it. 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I always figured yall bought bulk and had a blower.  13k oof. 

Hand loading is what young wannabe recent college grads are for when they want to big dog it, shot dove, drink beer, talk loud and attract a crowd. 

BTW, the 2 boxes at the front of the trailer are swamp coolers for the front and back porches.   Game changers.

IMG_8546.jpeg

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Taking a break from the mothership grounds mowing chores.   Started out with tolerable temps.  The mercury is picking up the pace on its upward flight.   

Kubo likes its fluid / filter change and new drive belt for mower deck.  She’s ugly and clunky compared to the new zero turn units but she’s reliable, sips diesel and was free.  

IMG_8553.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

On 9/8/2023 at 6:47 PM, deadshank said:

BTW, the 2 boxes at the front of the trailer are swamp coolers for the front and back porches.   Game changers.

Yep!  Had a giant one at the cabin.  In the sweaty balls of summer I'd scoot the bed over next to it and wake up cold and the sheets were a little wet 

#yourmom

• Hook 'Em 1

Got in a cheap day hunt out near Sealy last Thursday. Decent amount of birds, but the field we were hunting didn't have anything planted, so they were just passing over with no intent of landing anywhere nearby, which meant flying very high and fast. We ended up with 7 dove on maybe 40 shots. I'm not a great shot, but my buddy is a competitive clay shooter and even he was averaging probably 5 shots/hit. 

4 proper hunts scheduled in the Alice/Kingsville area this weekend. Looks like we might catch some passing showers, but doesn't appear that it'll be a total washout or anything. Fingers crossed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Our hunt was on a grass field.  Put out a variety of Mojo decoys and with the half mile in every direction view the dove were barreling into the Mojos like Battle of Midway dive bomber squadrons.  Crazy action.  I’ve never seen the Mojos that effective.  Dude I was hunting with who was closest to the decoys limited in 20 minutes 

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

4 proper hunts scheduled in the Alice/Kingsville area this weekend. Looks like we might catch some passing showers, but doesn't appear that it'll be a total washout or anything. Fingers crossed.

I'll be down just south of there.  Forecast looks...shitty.  I guess I'll just drink beer on the porch. 

• Like 2

On 9/14/2023 at 2:44 PM, Storm the Field said:

Got pretty lucky on the weather. Only rained on us for about 20 minutes during the Friday afternoon hunt. Stayed dry the rest of the weekend. Still pretty damn hot in South Texas though. Did a ton of sweating out in the fields this weekend.

All in all, a solid trip. Friday afternoon was the best. All 3 of us more or less limited out, though couldn't find a few that we downed. Field was planted with knee-high goatweed, and if you took your eyes off where you marked a downed bird for even a second, you'd lose it. Lost a couple over the fence line too. Think we ended up with 38 in the truck on Friday.

Rest of the weekend was slower, but still productive. Ended up with about 65 breasts when it was all said and done (out of probably 80 shot down). Saturday afternoon was the only true disappointment. Still some birds, but very sporadic and no real pattern to where they were coming.

Obligatory tailgate pic from Friday:

Birds.thumb.jpg.b75c8e23bf49cd95582db909e72aeebc.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

A friend of mine had us out to his place south of Hondo this past weekend.  All croton field with shredded strips.   The bird count was simply finominile.   The type of hunt you get every now and again.  Eye-popping numbers of birds that never stopped coming in and wouldn’t leave.  Kept buzzing us when we were leaving. What a day. 

Get to the 1:00 mark where the birds really start to stir.   

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

This is really just a closeup of a Cowan print, isn’t it?   If you zoom out, there’s a school of redfish tailing at the base of the blind.   Amirite?

Haha, yeah it was a classic photo composition : ) The iPhone 14 ProMax takes amazing golden hour photos. That is no filters/editing. I have a decent eye for a photograph, and probably took 6-8 pics getting the best light/composition; but it’s an awesome camera. Here’s some from a summer road trip out west:

c1105d108d6bbf54c72d281fd30972f2.jpg

70a251bb6d3a1ac2e225ef0d2845e356.jpg

cd7959cac3a01d325cdd25dff7c2faeb.jpg

This is actually the full moon rising over White Sands NM:

ff0d20b35a9e5179e4f8cf9aee531616.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1