Hunting ‘23/‘24: Bag ‘em and Tag ‘em

On 9/20/2023 at 6:59 PM, cknight said:

That’s awesome; my back hurts just thinking about quartering that out

When I was young my parents subscribed me to every outdoor magazine available- Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, Sports Afield, etc. 

In one of the question and answer sections, a reader said he was going on a moose hunt soon, and asked where the best place was to hit a moose. 
The editor wrote back- “Right next to a forklift.”  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Made it out for just a little while tonight. Saw a decent buck for our place. Shot a few birds and checked feeders.

1a36913ec0ddb491d02889427f630c9c.jpg

5663818a53362cbeb39cec74890d0043.jpg

Going back with a west Texas Feeder supply unit with the eliminator plate on this feeder ; coons wrecked this plastic mechanism.

d71e81f54d0b476e474b0c104f0740d9.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Oh I've got some work to do soon.  Been too much real life going on this year to keep up proper.  Tomorrow going to be a very full day. And it looks like I’ll be hauling the tractor down in next week or two to shred.  But the beer is cold, birds were everywhere driving in, and I’m not in Houston.  So winning. 

• Like 2

Knocking doves down with a 410 is impressive!

I decided to replace the feeder that coons messed up entirely with a stand & fill. My dad is 73 this year and still gets out and fills feeders standing on the truck bed rail. He fell off a trailer and fell getting out of the bobcat recently. I’ll probably replace all the elevated feeders with stand & fills if this style works out. This is the 600# EZ Feeder from All Seasons, $499. I really like the mechanism design.

ab76fc265f63a1aa69a9aee9e82e89b6.jpg

I pulled some cards, need to take care of a boar and shoot a bunch of does. Have a couple of decent bucks.

64de9a61c6f340d2b97108d3dff0b8f9.jpg

8d3f3098fcc8e9fa10912b0b035c3941.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, 686 said:

Knocking doves down with a 410 is impressive!

Well, the pile of empty hulls wasn’t!! I’ve been downsizing over last few years but have had reoccuring issues in right shoulder for last 18 months, and that has sped it up. So I have to either learn to shoot left handed or work down.  I have settled on a 28ga after borrowing one for some shoots last year.  But haven’t found a way to sneak it past the wife…yet.  Got a Rizzini sxs in mind.  I have this old tomato stick .410 that an old friend used to keep in a barn for snakes.  Ugly but it shoots pretty well. Been using it to teach the girls last few years.  I used it last quail season and did ok.   But 28 gets you a lot more pellets and shells are considerably cheaper. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, the pile of empty hulls wasn’t!! I’ve been downsizing over last few years but have had reoccuring issues in right shoulder for last 18 months, and that has sped it up. So I have to either learn to shoot left handed or work down.  I have settled on a 28ga after borrowing one for some shoots last year.  But haven’t found a way to sneak it past the wife…yet.  Got a Rizzini sxs in mind.  I have this old tomato stick .410 that an old friend used to keep in a barn for snakes.  Ugly but it shoots pretty well. Been using it to teach the girls last few years.  I used it last quail season and did ok.   But 28 gets you a lot more pellets and shells are considerably cheaper. 

You shoot an auto?  I would rather shoot a 12 auto than a 410 non auto.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/22/2023 at 10:17 PM, 686 said:

Made it out for just a little while tonight. Saw a decent buck for our place. Shot a few birds and checked feeders.

1a36913ec0ddb491d02889427f630c9c.jpg

5663818a53362cbeb39cec74890d0043.jpg

Going back with a west Texas Feeder supply unit with the eliminator plate on this feeder ; coons wrecked this plastic mechanism.

d71e81f54d0b476e474b0c104f0740d9.jpg

My feeders are large 2000 pounders so they are wide enough coons cannot get to the spinner plate.  But on these barrel feeders, and I have tried everything, the best and only 100 percent effective solution is a round cage the same diameter as the barrel.  Coons cannot reach the plate with those wide round cages.  The square cages they can and will just hang on it and spin the plate all night long.

This works 100 percent of the time on those 55 gallon feeders

spacer.png

https://www.amazon.com/Elusive-Wildlife-Large-Varmint-Squirrel/dp/B07SK92LVP/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=deer+feeder+varmint+guard&qid=1695650157&sr=8-9

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Cool stary bra time - I might have told this before, but I was changing batteries out on one feeders with a cage and I left it open.  Had to run back to the house and when I got back a juvenile coon was nestled inside the cage eating corn.  Ok little guy, lets go....so I get a stick and poke at him and he freaks out.  Starts hissing and loosing his shit.  Ok man, I really have to close this cage and that little shit was going full honey badger.  I try a few more times, but I'm not getting bit by a damn coon.  I walk back to the truck, get my 1911, he's still refusing to move.  When he was clear of the spinner, I put the barrel to the cage, little shit bites the barrel, and I pull the trigger.

You know those gel cavitation videos....it was glorious....

44-mag-gel-test-bad-day.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

You shoot an auto?  I would rather shoot a 12 auto than a 410 non auto.

Nope.  All O/Us - I’m a quail and clay shooter 95% of the time. I have a couple of childhood 870’s that haven’t been touched in years.  There’s a Citori in there that handles 3.5’s for the rare late season goose/crane shoots.  Have thought about getting a SA 20 in past, but never really cared for any.  Guess I can fire that back up; never really been a fan though.  Have handled all the normal players (except the Ethos) over the years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I'd need to take out a bank loan to buy enough 410, 28. or 16 gauge ammo to get a limit

My cousin loves his Browning Sweet 16.  Only ammo he could find in stores cost him $32 a box.  You better find some online and in advance.

Yeah, the ammo isn’t cheap, but it’s not crippling either (hunting, clays…oof). 28 is where it’s at imo.  Considerably cheaper ammo, 2x pellets, and still very light recoil.  I built up a decent stash of it back when it was the only thing on the shelves. .410 will run you about 1.15/per if you buy in bulk. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah, the ammo isn’t cheap, but it’s not crippling either (hunting, clays…oof). 28 is where it’s at imo.  Considerably cheaper ammo, 2x pellets, and still very light recoil.  I built up a decent stash of it back when it was the only thing on the shelves. .410 will run you about 1.15/per if you buy in bulk. 

I haven't shopped around for .28 shells in a long time.  I stopped using mine because at one point it was too hard to find any for a decent price. This was probably around 10 years ago. I'd be thrilled to make my .28 my permanent dove gun if it's easily sourced now. It's also great to use because it's a great gauge to hand over to a beginner to help them learn how to shoot birds. 

3 hours ago, Da Fino said:

I haven't shopped around for .28 shells in a long time.  I stopped using mine because at one point it was too hard to find any for a decent price. This was probably around 10 years ago. I'd be thrilled to make my .28 my permanent dove gun if it's easily sourced now. It's also great to use because it's a great gauge to hand over to a beginner to help them learn how to shoot birds. 

Our local academy has them all the time.  Easier to find there than 16 for sure.  Spent an hour earlier looking at SA but it’s still the same 3-4 I had looked up a few years ago. Maybe someday but still not my cup of tea.   

On 9/24/2023 at 8:22 PM, 686 said:

I’ll probably replace all the elevated feeders with stand & fills if this style works out.

I've been slowly replacing all mine with GreenGo stand-to-fill and I like them.  I'm too old for the boat winch shit and the falls off the tailgate land differently these days.

I ordered a trailer full of them and have slowly been getting them out.  This season is my goal to be fully out of the winch or tailgate game.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This guy is currently in our back yard eating some sourdough crusts my wife tossed.

4526a4e957c9844923e5bf47666fc667.jpg

Well, bow season starts this weekend. Get a crossbow and shoot him in the spine right between the front shoulders, should drop like a rock. He looks like at least 6.5.

CHIEF

• Like 1

Well, bow season starts this weekend. Get a crossbow and shoot him in the spine right between the front shoulders, should drop like a rock. He looks like at least 6.5.
CHIEF

He was out front when I got home. Our little bachelor herd hangs out in our yard a lot. Two young 8s with him.

4d8e0e9912535fa0c2d6508e405f713f.jpg
bf5ccae7a3910fab6e9bfcb28051190b.jpg

In the first pic from our backyard, you can see the genetics at work. For years, the dominant buck around here had a hefty rack, but it was heavy on the height, not so wide on the spread. All the bucks have a similar rack now - taller, not so wide.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

He was out front when I got home. Our little bachelor herd hangs out in our yard a lot. Two young 8s with him.

4d8e0e9912535fa0c2d6508e405f713f.jpg
bf5ccae7a3910fab6e9bfcb28051190b.jpg

In the first pic from our backyard, you can see the genetics at work. For years, the dominant buck around here had a hefty rack, but it was heavy on the height, not so wide on the spread. All the bucks have a similar rack now - taller, not so wide.

He's not gonna get any bigger, I'm thinking.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Yeah like that along with the stand and fill. Would like to see a heavier gauge to it but the seams look well built. I’ll report back after 12 months in the wild.

I've mentioned the Judge Feeders that we use.  Very solid, but not inexpensive.

http://judgefeeders.com/

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Bunch of 1%ers in here. I took my cheap walmart/academy/I don't remember 200# feeder and wired up some cattle panel and then some chicken wire on top of that to keep the varmints out. cost me like $75 on clearance for the feeder a couple years ago and then supplies I already had on hand.

It costs me $200 in diesel to get down there and back.  Just to find something broke/went wrong.  I bought the heaviest dumb steel feeder I could find, with the best timer (THE TIMER) I could find.     Knock on wood but replaced battery after 3 years and that's it.  Hope it stays that way. 

On 9/29/2023 at 11:39 PM, fattyflattie said:

It costs me $200 in diesel to get down there and back.  Just to find something broke/went wrong.  I bought the heaviest dumb steel feeder I could find, with the best timer (THE TIMER) I could find.     Knock on wood but replaced battery after 3 years and that's it.  Hope it stays that way. 

100% this.  I want big, heavy duty feeders with The Timer and a good solar panel.  They are bullet proof.

Had a guy in Beaumont who worked in sheet metal.  He would build me 2000 pounders with 4 heavy pipe legs.  Best feeders ever.  Pipe legs also had a little pad at bottom.  I drilled hole in in at drove in 1/2" rebar to stake down.  Sumbitch is rock solid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 11:39 PM, fattyflattie said:

16 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

100% this.  I want big, heavy duty feeders with The Timer and a good solar panel.  They are bullet proof.

Had a guy in Beaumont who worked in sheet metal.  He would build me 2000 pounders with 4 heavy pipe legs.  Best feeders ever.  Pipe legs also had a little pad at bottom.  I drilled hole in in at drove in 1/2" rebar to stake down.  Sumbitch is rock solid.

It is a 500 mile round trip, I'm in the same boat. I'm set up to only fill up feeders once a year. Especially after putting coon hoods on my protein feeder.

IMG-1-F13-D4-CDCE4-C-1.jpg

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2023 at 12:29 PM, Storm the Field said:

Another highlight of the trip was that Dad informed us that he's been building a new stand for me and my brother's deer lease. Just sent us some progress pics from his workshop earlier this morning. Will try to remember to post some photos when he finishes up later this month.

Dad informed us earlier this week that he finished the stand. Brother and I heading out to the lease tomorrow afternoon to set up a new feeder to replace one of the busted ones. Dad is meeting us out there with the new stand at sunup on Sunday. Just gotta unload it and attach the roof. 

Hot damn, the lease is now gonna have at least 1 fully-functioning stand and feeder combo ready to go in time for the season. And hopefully it will have been feeding for long enough to get some regular diners. 

itshappening.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I asked the rancher who runs cattle on our acreage if he could move them before I start my elk hunt on 10/19. I hadn’t seen a single deer or elk on my 4 trail cams since the cattle arrived in mid September. This morning, I received these photos of cattle moving in and a small elk herd GTFO.

IMG-9704.jpg
IMG-9705.jpg
IMG-9706.jpg

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

5 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I asked the rancher who runs cattle on our acreage if he could move them before I start my elk hunt on 10/19. I hadn’t seen a single deer or elk on my 4 trail cams since the cattle arrived in mid September. This morning, I received these photos of cattle moving in and a small elk herd GTFO.

IMG-9704.jpg
IMG-9705.jpg
IMG-9706.jpg

Update:  Holy shit, I just realized there are some critters under that pine tree on the far left….

2nd update:  turns out from the HD image, I think it’s 2 smaller elk and one larger elk, all turned away so that their darker head, neck, etc. are not visible.

Time to settle down, ImWP. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

IMG-9704.jpg
IMG-9705.jpg
IMG-9706.jpg

Cattle are following the elk down the mountain. 

• Haha 2

On 10/12/2023 at 8:03 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

9466e34297af70e5dda4d86a88ec7089.jpg

I believe I posted this fella in last years thread. Been watching him for two years now. Very distinctive because of those massive G2's. If I can get eyes on him this might be his last year.

How old you reckon he is?  From the one pic I’m guessing 5.5