2023 Other Games Thread

shadow_operative2.0

Illinois has a nice opening drive, has to settle for a FG…attempt…which sails wide left.

They won the coin toss and opted to receive. tOSU did that last week because of the new clock rules limiting possessions (but not the length of games in real time). I wonder if many teams are doing that. Something I’ll be watching for today. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Illinois has a nice opening drive, has to settle for a FG…attempt…which sails wide left.

They won the coin toss and opted to receive. tOSU did that last week because of the new clock rules limiting possessions (but not the length of games in real time). I wonder if many teams are doing that. Something I’ll be watching for today. 

Guess I don't understand how the clock changes matter if you are starting on offense 1 half either way.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Kwix said:

Guess I don't understand how the clock changes matter if you are starting on offense 1 half either way.

We’ll have to see. In Ryan Day’s call in show last week a caller asked him about taking the hall first if they won the toss and he said it was something they were thinking about. We all know the conventional thinking. But with fewer possessions, maybe the thinking is that it’s even more to your advantage to score first and put the pressure on the other team. Maybe you don’t want to give your opponent a chance to take a lot of time off the clock. It’s uncharted territory and it’s obviously something coaches are thinking about. It’s a different approach. It’s a thing to pay attention to and see what happens. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

We’ll have to see. In Ryan Day’s call in show last week a caller asked him about taking the hall first if they won the toss and he said it was something they were thinking about. We all know the conventional thinking. But with fewer possessions, maybe the thinking is that it’s even more to your advantage to score first and put the pressure on the other team. Maybe you don’t want to give your opponent a chance to take a lot of time off the clock. It’s uncharted territory and it’s obviously something coaches are thinking about. It’s a different approach. It’s a thing to pay attention to and see what happens. 

I guess I can see the argument that it's a bit tougher to come back late.  Think I'd still take the ball first in the 2nd half.

1 minute ago, Kwix said:

I guess I can see the argument that it's a bit tougher to come back late.  Think I'd still take the ball first in the 2nd half.

I don’t know. I just know it’s a thing that’s happening. I’ll be following it. Maybe it will catch on, maybe it won’t. But we should keep an eye out and see if more teams are opting to take the ball first. Maybe they’re not. I don’t know. I’ve already shared everything I know about it.