Annual CR football check in

Bateshorn

40 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

This year could be good but it feels like a swan song for me. I’m not about consorting with SEC MAGA on a regular basis. 

Is there a reason you think the average fan from Mississippi is any different than that of the midwest?  We're swapping cultural and political wastelands, we're not wandering into uncharted territory here.

Edited by jimmyjazz

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is there a reason you think the average fan from Mississippi is any different than that of the midwest?  We're swapping cultural and political wastelands, we're not wandering into uncharted territory here.

Largely symbolic, partly pragmatic, mostly meaningless to to anyone except me. I resent UT tourist dollars flowing to bastions of MAGA. I have no metrics to offer you as validation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Largely symbolic, partly pragmatic, mostly meaningless to to anyone except me. I resent UT tourist dollars flowing to bastions of MAGA. I have no metrics to offer you as validation. 

I’m with you, “south will rise again” bullshit is qualitatively different than Midwest corn fed fatties.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TeeDubya said:

Texas and Oklahoma better blow out every opponent, and not be in ANY close conference games. 

Those fuckers will screw both teams at every opportunity.

Lol, no. I hope they go 0-12.

13 hours ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

This year could be good but it feels like a swan song for me. I’m not about consorting with SEC MAGA on a regular basis. 

12 hours ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

You should listen to Jimmyjazz on this one. Or me, becuase I'm here for your receipts and metrics. Pretending the state of Texas is any fucking different than any of the other states that you consider "MAGA bastions" is absurd. Texas has the same popular vote as Florida. Oklahoma is as red as Arkansas, which is redder than LA, MS, TN and MO. You pointed out WVA has Joe Manchin, but Georgia actually voted blue and has not 1, but two democratic senators. 

https://www.cookpolitical.com/2020-national-popular-vote-tracker

image.png.7215cb8777ee0427f130a1089f10401a.png

I'm not going to sit here and tell anyone what to do with their free time and football watching, but to try and pat yourself on the back for some moral high ground stance is just deluding oneself. The Big 12 as it existed in 2022 and 2023 is as red, or redder, than the SEC. At least the SEC has a single blue state. The Big 12 doesn't, and guess what it just fucking added Ohio. 

Texas is going to win 10 games. I'd enjoy it. BUt even if you go back in time, you're donating your dollars to MAGA strongholds. 

10 hours ago, troph said:

I’m with you, “south will rise again” bullshit is qualitatively different than Midwest corn fed fatties.

There's no South Will Rise Again bullshit. It's straight up just "Fuck people I hate." The mason dixon line doesn't mean shit anymore, it's straight up urban vs rural, and smart versus dumb. That's everywhere, it just comes with different fucking accents these days. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

You should listen to Jimmyjazz on this one. Or me, becuase I'm here for your receipts and metrics. Pretending the state of Texas is any fucking different than any of the other states that you consider "MAGA bastions" is absurd. Texas has the same popular vote as Florida. Oklahoma is as red as Arkansas, which is redder than LA, MS, TN and MO. You pointed out WVA has Joe Manchin, but Georgia actually voted blue and has not 1, but two democratic senators. 

I'm not going to sit here and tell anyone what to do with their free time and football watching, but to try and pat yourself on the back for some moral high ground stance is just deluding oneself. The Big 12 as it existed in 2022 and 2023 is as red, or redder, than the SEC. At least the SEC has a single blue state. The Big 12 doesn't, and guess what it just fucking added Ohio. 

Texas is going to win 10 games. I'd enjoy it. BUt even if you go back in time, you're donating your dollars to MAGA strongholds. 

There's no South Will Rise Again bullshit. It's straight up just "Fuck people I hate." The mason dixon line doesn't mean shit anymore, it's straight up urban vs rural, and smart versus dumb. That's everywhere, it just comes with different fucking accents these days. 

don't listen to me, I originally wanted Pac-10 for blue reasons - voting reasons and pacific blue reasons. glad I lost, I'll watch. Still not a fan of the deep south version of hate. Not a fan of the Texas version either for that matter, but what the hell let's put the two powerhouses of hate - Texas and Florida - in the same league. It'll be fun.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen to Jimmy about what? His opinion differs. That’s fine. This is a CR football thread where sports and politics intersect, so I shared my personal reflection on the two. I don’t need to be right or to convince you of anything. I freely acknowledge that it’s not totally a rational stance, thus the lack of metrics, links, or maps to bolster my case. This issue is more gut level.

Furthermore, I’m not patting myself on the back or claiming Texas is different. I’m not sure where you get that. I was born a Texan but moved from Austin to the pacific NW nearly a decade ago, in large part due to dissatisfaction with Texas government.

There’s actually some sadness that I don’t look forward to the start of college football season like I once did. Truth be told, I’ve been drifting from interest in big dollar sports for a while. Pro sports were first to go. There was a time I’d be ruined for days by UT losses. I’ve grown to think that is a silly misapplication of my energy. The desire not to stand shoulder to shoulder with the Deep South every Saturday is just another brick in the wall. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Listen to Jimmy about what? His opinion differs. That’s fine.

It's not a battle I care to fight, but I'm not sure "opinion" comes into play.  The Big 12 is red.  Very red.  So is the SEC.  If you want to split hairs on types of red, OK, but other than that . . .

I remember when Donald in his infinite narcissism went to SEC games and the University warned students not to boo him.

That said Georgia went blue last time, and that is more than can be said for the Big XII, even the expanded Big XII

• Rage+1 1

On 8/28/2023 at 12:58 PM, Brisketexan said:

In retrospect....putting Donnie Two Scoops in charge of our strength and conditioning program may not have been wise.

On the plus side, all of our players our now at their self-declared optimum height and weight, so we're looking good!

So the entire team is 6'-3" and 215 LBS?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, linux said:

I remember when Donald in his infinite narcissism went to SEC games and the University warned students not to boo him.

That said Georgia went blue last time, and that is more than can be said for the Big XII, even the expanded Big XII

Which school booed him anyway?

Can you imagine him going to a Pac-12 game? They'd be raining low-fat vegan soy lattes on him before he even gets out of his car.