RIP Jimmy Buffett

Michael Knight

3 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I knew the one hit wonder comment would be misinterpreted but I went there anyway. The point I was (clumsily) trying to make was that for someone with relatively modest chart success--although his big hit was pretty much genre defining--he amassed exponentially more fame & wealth compared to anyone else with a similar pop career. Not disrespecting the guy or his talents, but his financial success is far beyond what his chart success would indicate.

He was a good musician/entertainer and a great song writer with a lot of good songs that weren't chart-toppers.  They were solid tunes though.  But you're right that the diversified brand he spawned was other-worldy.

I mean, he had Margaritaville-branded retirement communities.  "You never know when Jimmy might show up."  Yeah, the money wasn't just from selling records and concert tickets.

Edited by dcbc

3 hours ago, dcbc said:

He was a good musician/entertainer and a great song writer with a lot of good songs that weren't chart-toppers.  They were solid tunes though.  But you're right that the diversified brand he spawned was other-worldy.

I mean, he had Margaritaville-branded retirement communities.  "You never know when Jimmy might show up."  Yeah, the money wasn't just from selling records and concert tickets.

We drove through one in Daytona.  What a disappointment.   

8 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

We drove through one in Daytona.  What a disappointment.   

Oh yeah.  Almost guaranteed.  But there are a lot of people willing to give up their respective moneys.  It was the right move.  And, no cloak room, unlike some, he removed these people from their money in a nice, optimistic, fun way.  And I, for one, don't have a problem with that.

Edited by dcbc

Marketing genius.  He and his buddy JJW (with a hat tip to JJW's wife Susanna, who also seems to be very savvy) made a point of holding their music rights at their own record labels.  JB kicked it up another notch with his licensing agreements with restaurants, resorts, and the 55+ retirement community. 

He was a very smart guy and a pirate at heart.  RIP to yet another pirate gone too soon.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

Thinking of other musicians with a devoted fan base, am I the only one wondering if the Grateful Dead missed an opportunity?  

Shouldn’t there be a chain of Dead themed mortuaries and cemeteries all over the country?

“You never know when Jerry Garcia might waft by here at the Grateful Dead’s Sugar Magnolia Cemetery.  You’ll be glad you’re dead!”

Edited by DoobieWah
  • Haha 1

Similar to what somebody posted upthead; I saw JB 6 or so years ago, at "Kaaboo" in Del Mar, CA.  
I enjoyed the show, but the other fans?   I didn't know what the fuck was going on.  It was like being at "Midnight Yell" in College Station.  

I did his Vegas show about 6 years ago with my in laws. They had a poolside cabaña at the hotel with the oficial pool party. 6 straight hours of parrotheads, Buffet and booze before the actual concert. I was burned out before we made it the the show. It was fun and an interesting experience, but most of the people i talked to went Every year.

“In love for the first time, with anything that moved
Animate, inanimate it didn't matter
It's like there's a great neon sign flashin' on an' off
In my brain sayin' ‘Jimmy Buffett there's a great day a comin’
'Cause I was drunk
I wasn't knee crawlin', slip slidin', Reggie Youngin'
Commode huggin' drunk
I was God's own drunk and a fearless man

And that's when I first saw the bear”

Godspeed, Jimmy

Edited by Harrison Stafford

On 9/3/2023 at 10:22 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Even Jimmy said he had "2.4 hits".  I assume those were Margaritaville, Cheeseburger in Paradise, and Come Monday.

I encounter "Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw" more in the wild than I do "Come Monday".

No idea what the commercial numbers on either were.

35 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I encounter "Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw" more in the wild than I do "Come Monday".

That's interesting. I hear Come Monday all the time on Sirius. I can't tell you the last time I heard Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw. I don't think it's been 20 years but maybe it has.

38 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

That's interesting. I hear Come Monday all the time on Sirius. I can't tell you the last time I heard Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw. I don't think it's been 20 years but maybe it has.

So I just googled this because I was curious. His top five singles were Margaritaville, Five O'Clock Somewhere, Knee Deep, Come Monday, and Changes in Latitudes. Fins was 6th which would have been one of my guesses as the hits he was referencing, along with Volcano.

56 minutes ago, G650 said:

I just come across it a lot from cover bands, or on juke boxes, or whatever.  

2 hours ago, G650 said:

So I just googled this because I was curious. His top five singles were Margaritaville, Five O'Clock Somewhere, Knee Deep, Come Monday, and Changes in Latitudes. Fins was 6th which would have been one of my guesses as the hits he was referencing, along with Volcano.

Wiki disagrees, at least for US singles, and excluding the Alan Jackson duet:

Margaritaville

Come Monday

Cheeseburger

Fins

Changes . . .

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wiki disagrees, at least for US singles, and excluding the Alan Jackson duet:

Margaritaville

Come Monday

Cheeseburger

Fins

Changes . . .

I got it off the Billboard website

https://www.billboard.com/lists/jimmy-buffett-biggest-billboard-chart-hits/livingston-saturday-night/

I did skip Cheeseburger though somehow

Edited by G650

This one has hit me hard. I grew up on Buffett, he was the soundtrack of my childhood. The first concert my parents took me to was Buffett, my summers as a child were primarily spent on our sailboat with a Buffett tune on in the background.

Thanks for all the memories Jimmy!

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/4/2023 at 10:19 PM, Harrison Stafford said:

'Cause I was drunk
I wasn't knee crawlin', slip slidin', Reggie Youngin'
Commode huggin' drunk

Jimmy also played with a lot of great musicians. Including the great, late Reggie Young. 

If you don’t think Reggie’s guitar work on this Haggard classic isn’t some of the best stuff around, I will f’n fight your ignorant ass!!

4 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Jimmy also played with a lot of great musicians. Including the great, late Reggie Young. 

If you don’t think Reggie’s guitar work on this Haggard classic isn’t some of the best stuff around, I will f’n fight your ignorant ass!!

We gonna fight because Reggie's work on Drift Away is the best

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

502d1a78633369bb28418f3248f838a2.jpg
Didn’t know if this was posted yet. Could go in the airplane thread too I suppose. Jimmy was quite the aviation fan.

I thought that might have been the Hemisphere Dancer, but evidently that plane is on display in Orlando.

https://buffettworld.com/aviation/albatross/

In 1996, the Hemisphere Dancer was shot at by Jamaican authorities as it taxied in the water near Negril. The Jamaicans had mistaken it for a drug-runner’s plane, though Jimmy had “only come for chicken”, he was not “the ganja plane.” U2’s Bono was also on board the plane, but neither him nor Buffett were hurt.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I thought that might have been the Hemisphere Dancer, but evidently that plane is on display in Orlando.

https://buffettworld.com/aviation/albatross/

In 1996, the Hemisphere Dancer was shot at by Jamaican authorities as it taxied in the water near Negril. The Jamaicans had mistaken it for a drug-runner’s plane, though Jimmy had “only come for chicken”, he was not “the ganja plane.” U2’s Bono was also on board the plane, but neither him nor Buffett were hurt.

I took Jr. and some of his cousins to Orlando for Spring Break this year and walked right up to Hemisphere Dancer.  It was quite the unexpected surprise.  Seems like it was in pretty good shape.