RIP Jimmy Buffett

Michael Knight

This hurts for me!!  My brothers and I grew up on Jimmy Buffett, first listening to his 8 tracks and then there wasn’t a road trip that Songs You Know by Heart wasn’t blasting from the tape deck. Just imagine 3 under 10s singing “A Love Song from a Different Point of View” from the backseat at the top of their lungs!  As I got older I dug deeper into his catalog and found so many more amazing songs that were even better than the known favorites. His stop in Austin 1996 was my first concert ever and it was all I could wish for.  Saw him a few more times in concert most recently last summer with my parents and my wife and it was just as much fun as ever.  I even sang Jimmy Buffett to my daughter as an infant to help put her to sleep at night. Jimmy you will be missed by many. Thank you for the great times and memories!   

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

I got the news before dawn, went out on my porch to watch the sun come up over the lake & made it through half of “Wonder why we ever go home” before I broke down & went back inside so my neighbors wouldn’t see me.  F’n donkey kick to the gut.  Thanks for the music and that sunrise Jimmy…

IMG_3139.jpeg

lebowski-big-lebowski.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, troph said:

“Please don’t say manana if you don’t mean it. I have done your lies for so very long”

“try to describe the ocean  when you’ve never seen it.” 

he considered himself an average songwriter and maybe his actual tunes are but his lyrics are top notch. 

Yep.  He’s such a diaspora of his own talent it’s amazing.  Some songs are so lingually wel twirled and others are just simpleton tugs of fancy, but even those are constructed nicely.  Dude was the drunken poet that Ray Wylie wanted to be (even though he did just fine) 

• Hook 'Em 2

A friend of mine who's a big JB fan (wouldn't call him a parrothead as I don't think he ever saw him in concert; certainly never followed him around to shows) sent a pic of his oldest son standing next to JB about 7 years ago. I had no idea he was that short. My buddy's boy is just like him, 5'7ish in shoes, and he's almost half a head taller than JB in the photo.

13 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

A friend of mine who's a big JB fan (wouldn't call him a parrothead as I don't think he ever saw him in concert; certainly never followed him around to shows) sent a pic of his oldest son standing next to JB about 7 years ago. I had no idea he was that short. My buddy's boy is just like him, 5'7ish in shoes, and he's almost half a head taller than JB in the photo.

Musicians usually are short.  It's weird.

Growing up in the 70's meant that you heard a lot of Jimmy Buffet.  It seemed like Margaritaville was on a constant loop at every festival in SA back then.  I always associated that song as a song about SA since it talked about margaritas and tubing.  I got to see him a few times and he always put on a great show.  RIP Jimmy and thanks for all of the great background music to my life.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, I could have sworn the lyric was "WASTING away again in Margaritaville", but in this early clip on The Tonight Show he sure seems to be singing "WASTED away again in Margaritaville".  Am I deaf?

I enjoy his older performances a lot more than the more recent ones.  Too many horns, background vocals, and other shit went on during his performances starting in the 90’s.  The “You had to be there” live album blows away any of the other million or so live recordings he did during his career. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, I could have sworn the lyric was "WASTING away again in Margaritaville", but in this early clip on The Tonight Show he sure seems to be singing "WASTED away again in Margaritaville".  Am I deaf?

in my entire life, I never thought the lyric was anything but “wasted away”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

He Went to Paris and A Pirate Looks at Forty are phenomenal songs.

They are indeed. Played both of them tonight at a gig in his honor. Along with Margaritaville of course.

One of my all time favorite lines: he’s losing his hearing but he don’t care what most people say…

Oh and your username totally fits.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

And I have to say, he was a hell of a businessman.   I have no idea if you had an early ‘behind the music’ thing where your manager stole all your money, but he sure turned into a corporate entity that had its hands into a lot of pies. Good on him.

He made enough money to buy Miami…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

And I have to say, he was a hell of a businessman.   I have no idea if you had an early ‘behind the music’ thing where your manager stole all your money, but he sure turned into a corporate entity that had its hands into a lot of pies. Good on him.

It really is amazing when you think about it. He was essentially a one hit wonder who turned that song's vibe into the foundation for a billion dollar empire. 

• Hook 'Em 1

He was far from a one hit wonder. That is not in anyway true. He helped to create a musical genre that didn't exist before him. Nashville finally went to the beach long after Jimmy did. He was an excellent songwriter and a consummate performer. He cared that his audience had a good time. He would play what he thought they wanted to hear and so if that was fuckin' Margaritaville, so be it. Do you think you could get Billy Joel to play Piano Man today? He'd probably tell his audience to go fuck themselves if they asked. 
If you think about it, it makes sense that Jimmy was an excellent businessman because he knew how to put people at ease, he was charming, and he knew to put smart people in charge. As an investor, if you met up with this guy, how is it that you wouldn't open up your wallet to what he asked? Sheeeeeit. 

Edited by burntorangebongos
  • Hook 'Em 4

11 hours ago, gaspar said:

“I’ve got a Carribean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart!” Jimmy’s “Who’s the Blonde Stranger” song also indicates he probably spent some time in Galveston. 

RIP Jimmy

How would Louis L'Amour get me next to that girl?

I knew the one hit wonder comment would be misinterpreted but I went there anyway. The point I was (clumsily) trying to make was that for someone with relatively modest chart success--although his big hit was pretty much genre defining--he amassed exponentially more fame & wealth compared to anyone else with a similar pop career. Not disrespecting the guy or his talents, but his financial success is far beyond what his chart success would indicate.

• Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I knew the one hit wonder comment would be misinterpreted but I went there anyway. The point I was (clumsily) trying to make was that for someone with relatively modest chart success--although his big hit was pretty much genre defining--he amassed exponentially more fame & wealth compared to anyone else with a similar pop career. Not disrespecting the guy or his talents, but his financial success is far beyond what his chart success would indicate.

Agree.  That was what I meant.  But as much as I love Jimmy, those parrot heads are a weird cult that I’d rather not be around.  He sold them some shit tho…

• Hook 'Em 1