Post Bama Curse Fact or Fiction?

Sir Ulrich

Since 2008 only 14 teams have beat Bama in the regular season. Everybody talks about the post Bama let down game but only 3 times has a team beat Bama and then lost their next game.  In 2019 & 2017 Auburn lost their next game but '19 was a bowl and '17 was the SEC Championship game. The only team to lose the following regular season game was in 2010 when South Carolina lost to Kentucky on the road.

Let's take a look at how the 14 teams fared the following week and how the rest of the season played out:

2022 LSU- Beat Arkansas 13-10  and finished 3-2. Final Record: 10-4

2022 Tennessee- Beat Tennessee Martin 65-23 the next week and finished 5-2. Final Record: 11-2

2021 Texas A&M- Beat Missouri 35-12 and finished 4-2. Final Record: 8-4 naturally

2019 Auburn- Lost to Minnesota 24-31 in the Outback bowl and finished 0-1. Final Record: 9-4

2019 LSU- Beat Ole Miss 58-37 and finished 6-0 with a NC. Final Record: 15-0

2017 Auburn- Lost to Georgia in the SECCG and finished 0-2. Final Record: 10-4

2015 Ole Miss- Beat Vandy 37-16 and finished 7-3. Final Record: 10-3

2014 Ole Miss- Beat Texas A&M 35-20 and finished 4-4. Final Record: 9-4

2013 Auburn- Beat Missouri in the SECCG and finished 1-1. Final Record: 12-2. 

2012 Texas A&M- Beat SHSU 47-28 and finished 3-0. Final Record: 11-2.

2011 LSU- Beat Western Kentucky 42-9 and finished 4-1. Final Record: 13-1

2010 Auburn- Beat South Carolina in the SECCG and won the NC. Final Record: 14-0

2010 LSU- Beat ULM 51-0 and finished 3-1. Final Record: 11-2

2010 South Carolina- Lost to Kentucky 35-27 and finished 5-4. Final Record 9-5.

SEC schedules in the prime of that conference, not apples to apples if you ask me. Anyone who played an out of conference cupcake (other than a bowl game) rolled the cupcake.

Do I think Wyoming is a cupcake? No, I do not.

Do I think Wyoming is on the level of 2017 Georgia? No, I do not.

I hope Sark has what it takes to allow the team to enjoy success (if you don't let people enjoy success they tend to care less about being successful) while avoiding "rat poison"

Any potential for a letdown will likely be countered by the environment created by the first night game of the season and an uncharacteristically raucous fanbase (for a game against Wyoming) excited to cheer for the team that just took out 'Bama.

The concern is valid, but the team sure seemed to say all the right things after the game.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Any potential for a letdown will likely be countered by the environment created by the first night game of the season and an uncharacteristically raucous fanbase (for a game against Wyoming) excited to cheer for the team that just took out 'Bama.

Yep.  I don't expect it to be like the Missouri game in 2008 after we beat No. 1 OU.  Mizzou was a conference game and they came in ranked at No. 11 v. Texas at No. 1.  That game was one of the loudest home games I've attended.

But the Longhorns just won their biggest regular season game since 2008 OU or 2005 Ohio State, after not winning much of shit for the last 10 years or so, and with the night atmosphere, I think the crowed will pump up the players.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Nivek said:

See Ewer's comment after the Bama win with Holly Rowe.  She was baiting him to say "Texas is back" and he said, "Nothing, we still got a lot of games to win."

We'll be fine.

It felt like Texas came into that game with so much confidence and expectation of success that they've already had time to contemplate how they're going to remain focused after it happens.

That's a great sign for the maturity and leadership in the locker room.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TornACL said:

It felt like Texas came into that game with so much confidence and expectation of success that they've already had time to contemplate how they're going to remain focused after it happens.

That kinda fits in with what VY was saying about finding and knowing their identity very early after this game. 

All positive things

• Hook 'Em 1

The concern is valid, but the team sure seemed to say all the right things after the game.
True that. A lot of students who might otherwise find something else to do for such a game will be at DKR this Saturday.

I feel like we got cursed by Bama ever since that Colt McCoy injury. They went on a positive trajectory and we went on a negative trajectory from that moment. 
It was ALWAYS going to take a win over Alabama to break the curse, doing it in their house at night is the icing on the cake. 
It’s not that Texas is “back”, we are just out from under that fucking curse from that National Championship game. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

Also, Alabama gonna be just fine. They are a bit shook though, people talking about getting rid of Satan and getting Dion are insane. 

“The future is now” sounds pretty funny though, Nick has always been evolving and on the cutting edge with his assistants. Hiring BoB then this current goober at OC is a big step back.

image.thumb.jpeg.b3fd0f74312abd6c31eb148354f21902.jpeg

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

I feel like we got cursed by Bama ever since that Colt McCoy injury. They went on a positive trajectory and we went on a negative trajectory from that moment. 
It was ALWAYS going to take a win over Alabama to break the curse, doing it in their house at night is the icing on the cake. 
It’s not that Texas is “back”, we are just out from under that fucking curse from that National Championship game. 

it’s time for a Texas curse.  Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of Alabama/Saban dominance and they can go suffer for 14 years.

10 hours ago, TornACL said:

Texas looks incredibly mature. I noticed how ready the players were before the game even started. On the opening drive, it looked like Texas couldn't wait to get the game clock started, like they were dialed in and ready well before tip off. That says to me they are taking their job incredibly seriously, and thus are probably well aware of the concept of let down games and will plan accordingly.

10 hours ago, South Austin said:

Yep.  I don't expect it to be like the Missouri game in 2008 after we beat No. 1 OU.  Mizzou was a conference game and they came in ranked at No. 11 v. Texas at No. 1.  That game was one of the loudest home games I've attended.

But the Longhorns just won their biggest regular season game since 2008 OU or 2005 Ohio State, after not winning much of shit for the last 10 years or so, and with the night atmosphere, I think the crowed will pump up the players.

Wait, I want to clarify, you're talking about 2008 here?