San Antonio Spurs '23-'24: Hoops, Hype, Hair Dye

ztejas

For all of Blake Wesley’s faults on offense, that dude plays his ass off on defense. Multiple times last night (and in previous games) he created turnovers and disrupted the hell out of whatever side of the court he inhabited. The Spurs will not be the worst defensive team in NBA history this season (more due to Wemby, Sochan, Vassell, than to Blake but whatever).

Edited by Kermit

On 10/10/2023 at 12:02 PM, Kermit said:

For all of Blake Wesley’s faults on offense, that dude plays his ass off on defense. Multiple times last night (and in previous games) he created turnovers and disrupted the hell out of whatever side of the court he inhabited. The Spurs will not be the worst defensive team in NBA history this season (more due to Wemby, Sochan, Vassell, than to Blake but whatever).

I think I read this on twitter too. I like the versatility if he's going to be a defensive stopper against the 2nd teams. I feel like Sochan will be used along with the bench a lot, so if Wesley can step up and help slow down whoever the opponent's sparkplug off the bench is, it'll make us a lot stronger. 

Looking forward to Friday and see if Wemby gets above 20 minutes. And Sir'Jabari too. 

Spurs / Heat tonight on TNT. 

LOL, check out the Heat injury report: https://www.espn.com/nba/team/injuries/_/name/mia/miami-heat

They are resting every single player in their regular rotation, except Duncan Robinson. 9 guys, total. I hope Jimmy Butler recovers from his dental procedure. Thoughts and prayers. I'm sure TNT is stoked.

What is the point of them even playing the game? How does this benefit either team? 

That was the most basketball I've watched in a while.  They really need a slasher to play pick and roll with Wemby.  If they find a guard that can finish at the rim this team could be really good.  You can see some flashes here and there.  They share the ball well.  There was really good ball movement at times as well.  There were too many jacked up 3's for me, but I suppose the game as just really changed since in the years I haven't watched. 

Made the trek down to SA in Friday rush hour traffic and Wemby did not disappoint. Our seats were towards the end of the court where did the Euro step dunk and caught the sick lob from Sochan. Seeing him work in person is pretty incredible. He’s a human cheat code.

We’ve got tickets to the season opener and that place is going to be electric.

GSG!

• Hook 'Em 1

I strayed away from watching the Spurs much the last two years since they were dumping in preparation for rebuilding.

I tuned in early last week to see what’s been assembled. What a young, strange roster. It was entertaining to watch Wemby.

I’m not quite sure what I was seeing. Is it a roster that’s going to grow up together and in year 3 contend for a title? Or, is it a half assembled roster that needs to ship out a few young guys in exchange for a veteran point guard and strong scorer?  I can’t get a sense on the plan. 

10 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I strayed away from watching the Spurs much the last two years since they were dumping in preparation for rebuilding.

I tuned in early last week to see what’s been assembled. What a young, strange roster. It was entertaining to watch Wemby.

I’m not quite sure what I was seeing. Is it a roster that’s going to grow up together and in year 3 contend for a title? Or, is it a half assembled roster that needs to ship out a few young guys in exchange for a veteran point guard and strong scorer?  I can’t get a sense on the plan. 

Yes.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

OK so I live in the Austin area.  Is NBA LP still fucked up where even if you pay the $100/yr you can't watch every game due to some bullshit blackout rules?  If so what do you do when a game isn't on TNT/ESPN, I guess it's on Bally but blacked out?  I don't get Bally as part of YTTV. :( 

Yes, you either have to pirate it or subscribe to Bally's subscription which I do for Spurs and Stars games.

8 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Meant to write what % of games would you SAY you're able to watch between Bally's and ESPN/TNT @SimonBolivar

Well last year almost every game was Bally only because nobody wanted to watch the Spurs. Now there will be a lot more on ESPN/TNT but still most will be on Bally.

100% with Bally and YTTV

Edited by SimonBolivar

6 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

If you do Bally's and not NBA LP, what % of the games would you're about to watch between between ESPN, TNT, and Bally's?

https://www.nba.com/spurs/schedule

There's the tv schedule. There's quite a few Kens5 games and a few CW games but most are Ballys or national

The Ballys app has replays for a few days if you miss a game can catch it later. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/15/2023 at 7:45 AM, Dbeasy said:

They weren't dumping as much as stockpiling, and I'm high on Vassell and Sochan. Keldon Johnson will play a huge part too (but I agree with some that he may be a biiit more expendable) and I'm excited to see how much they all grow together. Zach Collins still has potential for improvement too, and I like him at the 5. He'll be playing to cement himself as the long-term option after this year. 

The more I watch Wemby, the more I wonder if we'll still be pining for a veteran scoring option after the all-star break this year. He might be the go-to scoring option to close out games before we can even sign or entertain another #1 scoring option. Vassell might get there as well, I'm expecting a huge jump from him.

Edited by BurdineBandit

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

This Sochan point guard experiment is making my eyes bleed.

Yeah... it seems that they are serious about this position-less basketball thing. With apologies to Tre Jones, I suppose it makes the decision to not play with a true point guard a lot easier when you don't have a true point guard.

I'm pretty much chalking this entire season up as a giant basketball experiment. It certainly revolves around Wemby, but it extends to everything and everyone else, too. The only things that they do seem committed to are playing fast as shit and not having Wemby bang around with dudes who outweigh him by 50 pounds. Everything else it seems is in play, with Pop in full mad scientist mode trying to figure out who is a long term fit going forward. 

For the second time ever, I'm about to watch a fucking preseason game. The first time was the other night against the Heat.

The Wemby Effect is real.

EDIT: This violin Star-Spangled Banner is pretty cool. Nice wrinkle. As the son of a concert violinist, I gotta add, this kid's got chops, too.

Edited by Braff Zacklin