DART Stations-Parking (OU)

YGIFS

Driving from Fort Worth to Dallas Saturday morning for pre-game revelry.  And then heading out early to make it down to round Rock to pick up girls from water park weekend.  Will avoid gameday traffic but access to IH-35 will still be nice.  But biggest priority is where to park my SiL's vehicle which I'll be driving.  Not gonna do a yard lot because I don't want to be blocked in.  So gonna drive over and park at either Victory, West End, Akard, Saint Paul, or Pearl and take the train the last mile or two to Fair Park.  And back again the other way.  

My question is which of those stations has the most ample public parking right nearby?  Ideally, drop the car in a surface lot or small garage, and be on the train within 90 seconds.  But it being not my car, want it to be safe and secure too.  Those stops are all like 2-3 minutes from one another, so which has the most parking in the immediate vicinity?  Thanks!  see you Surly bastards up there.

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Driving from Fort Worth to Dallas Saturday morning for pre-game revelry.  And then heading out early to make it down to round Rock to pick up girls from water park weekend.  Will avoid gameday traffic but access to IH-35 will still be nice.  But biggest priority is where to park my SiL's vehicle which I'll be driving.  Not gonna do a yard lot because I don't want to be blocked in.  So gonna drive over and park at either Victory, West End, Akard, Saint Paul, or Pearl and take the train the last mile or two to Fair Park.  And back again the other way.  

My question is which of those stations has the most ample public parking right nearby?  Ideally, drop the car in a surface lot or small garage, and be on the train within 90 seconds.  But it being not my car, want it to be safe and secure too.  Those stops are all like 2-3 minutes from one another, so which has the most parking in the immediate vicinity?  Thanks!  see you Surly bastards up there.

None of those stations have DART parking. I'm sure there are parking garages at the AAC and downtown, but not sure how close to the stations.

https://www.dart.org/guide/transit-and-use/transit-centers-and-transfer-locations

• Like 1

thanks for link.  I know there's no official "Park and Ride" kinda deal.  But which of those stops just has the most like public/office parking on a Saturday?  I would imagine there has to be a decent amount, more of a timing/distance thing really.  I don't mind paying $10 or $20 so long as I can get out easily.  All the times I've been to Dallas on business, I've never really driven around downtown much.  Google streetview shows plenty of lots but hard to gauge if they're open on Saturdays.  I figure I'm not the only one looking to do this on Gameday.  Just looking for inside baseball tips.  Thank.s

Yeah, I was thinking about Market Center.  I know it's got abundant parking and nobody should be there at 7:30/8:00a on a Saturday, even during OU game.  It'll be a bit longer of a trip back to car but probably easier overall.  Have some rep.  If we win after I leave the game.  And we will win, you can thank my overall strategery.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, I was thinking about Market Center.  I know it's got abundant parking and nobody should be there at 7:30/8:00a on a Saturday, even during OU game.  It'll be a bit longer of a trip back to car but probably easier overall.  Have some rep.  If we win after I leave the game.  And we will win, you can thank my overall strategery.  

Honestly, if your goal is to get to Austin as quickly as possible after the game, I’d stash the car at the zoo, but I’m not sure what time the zoo opens, and they have gates IIRC. 

It's not that big a rush.  I wanna be at Kalahari to meet the girls for water park fun.  Coming from Fort Worth so one of those last few green line stops before Fair Park crowds ensue is first priority.  Then have to leave in first half so going contra-flow so easy getting back to car and back to IH-35.  Really biggest deal is easy parking that's safe and secure for my SiL car.  Goofy ass itinerary this year, but priorities change with age.  

Well, I’m pretty sure a hospital has secure parking with 24 hour availability.  Last time I had to go to Market Center I had to go through gates to park, and that might not be available really early on a Saturday, but I didn’t look around for free access parking.  The green line west of downtown is your friend, because those trains get really full this weekend as they hit all of the downtown stops.

• Like 1

Yeah, I figured it's a balancing act.  If I park too far down the line like Ackard/Pearl, I'll be tripping over people to get onto the train.  I got the train part down cold, done it may times before.  Just never drove directly down there and then taken the rail.  Guess I'll just tool around google street view and zoom in some phone numbers/websites with which to confirm Saturday early access.  

Just park at the DART lot off Wycliff and get on at the Market Center Station stop. I don't see any gates other than a small fence around the perimeter. Most DART lots are always open and since that one services Market Hall it should always be open. Market Hall hosts events on the weekends. The station is just across Harry Hines from the lot. I would avoid parking downtown as you have no idea when those open. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/SerQVZrwGaBDvc5r9

• Hook 'Em 1

Alright, for the record I think this is all an elaborate setup, but Market Center sounds like the play regardless.  My hangup was I could just see a buncha parking garages not being open yet at that hour so thanks for the suggestions.  Have such a weird itinerary this year for this game, but I also feel really fucking good about beating the living shit outta OU.  See you bastards at the Gameday set.  

46 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

I'm gonna do Market Center as well, but I'm walking there from my hotel rather than parking.

I am staying at the Hilton Anatole, which is across the street.  According to google though, it's a .9 mile/3 min drive, but a 2.1 mile 48 minute walk to the Market Center Station which I am not going to do.  Is this accurate? 

I am not opposed to use driving to Fair Park.  Are the lots there (like outside gate 5) pay lots, or do you need some type of pass?  I haven't been in a couple of years and everytime I have gone, I have had a ride and not paid much attention to the parking intricacies.

35 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

I am staying at the Hilton Anatole, which is across the street.  According to google though, it's a .9 mile/3 min drive, but a 2.1 mile 48 minute walk to the Market Center Station which I am not going to do.  Is this accurate? 

I am not opposed to use driving to Fair Park.  Are the lots there (like outside gate 5) pay lots, or do you need some type of pass?  I haven't been in a couple of years and everytime I have gone, I have had a ride and not paid much attention to the parking intricacies.

It's a hike. You're going under 35 to get there and then walking up to Harry Hines. I would just drive and pay the money. You can easily navigate backroads to get to the Fair from the Anatole. I would hit up the pay lots off Haskell/Military Pkwy for ease of getting in and out. Take Lemmon to Haskell. Lots we park in are after Crosstown Parkway. You can catch a tram to get you to the north end of the Cotton Bowl over by the stock show buildings.

2 hours ago, cabowabo said:

I'm staying at the Tru next door to you. I mapped out a route using Google Maps street view that looks like it will work cutting under the interstate and through the parking lot for the World Trade Center. There's a walkway over the train tracks to get to the Market Center station from there. Little over a half mile walk. If it doesn't work for some reason, I'll just take an Uber.

The best station is going to be Pearl.  It is the last station in Downtown before the train crosses under I-345 and heads to Fair Park.

The real benefit to the Downtown stations versus Market Center is that all of the trains from Fair Park will go through downtown.  But past West End Station, they'll split off, with some going south and some heading north (or, I think, some heading back east to go back through Downtown).  But every train leaving Fair Park is going to go to Pearl.

The other benefit of Pearl is that it has a very quick entrance to I-35E.  Just go straight up Pearl, take a left at Woodall Rodgers Frwy., and the exit onto I-35E is a mile away.  

At the time you're going to be going, you should be able to park at one of the surface lots that are at Pearl and Bryan right next to the Pearl Station.

Thanks for advice.  Again, just a bit worried that some of those pearl lots won’t be open (closed gates) at 7:30 when I arrive.  I think there’ll be enough spaces; just need to ensure I can get in and pay machines are on so I don’t come back to a boot or tow job.  

I wouldn't go with Pearl. That's where you're going to hit all the people who are transferring from the Red and Blue lines from up north as they have to change downtown. Pearl is the first stop downtown for them and the last stop heading east for the green line before it moves southeast towards the Fair. You're going to have a lot easier time getting on and getting a seat if you get on at Market Center. Plus, available lot across a crosswalk versus trying to hunt for street parking. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

There is a giant surface parking lot by the Marriott at Pearl. Some of my FW peeps who don't spend the night in Dallas use it every single year. Pearl is tits unless you get there at like 900 or something.

No you might not have a seat. But the ride is like 10 fucking minutes.

6 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

The best station is going to be Pearl.  It is the last station in Downtown before the train crosses under I-345 and heads to Fair Park.

The real benefit to the Downtown stations versus Market Center is that all of the trains from Fair Park will go through downtown.  But past West End Station, they'll split off, with some going south and some heading north (or, I think, some heading back east to go back through Downtown).  But every train leaving Fair Park is going to go to Pearl.

The other benefit of Pearl is that it has a very quick entrance to I-35E.  Just go straight up Pearl, take a left at Woodall Rodgers Frwy., and the exit onto I-35E is a mile away.  

At the time you're going to be going, you should be able to park at one of the surface lots that are at Pearl and Bryan right next to the Pearl Station.

That's not true. On the game day they have event specific trains that bypass downtown all together and go straight to the fair. Also, they shut down fair Park station and pick up and drop off at MLK station down the street. 

On 10/4/2023 at 11:19 AM, cabowabo said:

Parking is free at Market Center station and they have quite a bit of room. Just drive there. 

https://www.dart.org/about/news-and-events/game-day

DART Rail

DART will offer additional Green Line and Red Line service on Saturday, Oct. 7 to make your trip to the game a snap.

Two rail stations serve the fairgrounds -- Fair Park Station, located on Parry Avenue at the entrance to the fairgrounds, and MLK, Jr. Station, located south of R.B. Cullum Boulevard and convenient to the MLK fairground entrance (Gate 6) and Cotton Bowl Stadium.

If you’re riding DART Rail or the Trinity Railway Express (TRE) to downtown Dallas, you can easily transfer to the Green Line. From downtown Dallas, board Green Line trains marked “BUCKNER,” “LAWNVIEW” or “FAIR PARK”:

• Southbound Red, Blue, and Orange Line passengers transfer to the Green Line at Pearl/Arts District Station  -- unless you’re already on one of the four special Red Line trains from Parker Road Station to Fair Park Station.
  • Northbound Red and Blue Line passengers transfer to the Green Line at Akard Station.
  • Eastbound Orange Line passengers transfer to the Green Line at Bachman Station.
  • TRE passengers transfer to the Green Line or a shuttle bus at Victory Station.
  • Extra Green Line trains will run between Victory Station and Lawnview Station beginning approximately three hours prior to the game and continuing until approximately three hours after the game. During that timeframe, Green Line trains will run approximately every five to 10 minutes.
  • All Orange Line trains will offer extended service to Parker Road Station that day.
  • Between the Red Line, Orange Line and special trains, DART will offer service approximately every 10 minutes along the North Central Expressway Corridor before and after the game.
  • DART will offer four special Red Line trains southbound from Parker Road Station directly into Fair Park. These trains will be marked “SPECIAL EVENT” on their destination sign. After the game, there will also be four special northbound Red Line trains from Fair Park Station to Parker Road Station. These trains will be marked “PARKER ROAD” on their destination sign.
  • Blue Line and Orange Line trains will operate their normal weekend schedule on that Saturday.
  • All rail lines will return to regular service three hours after the game.

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

There is a giant surface parking lot by the Marriott at Pearl. Some of my FW peeps who don't spend the night in Dallas use it every single year. Pearl is tits unless you get there at like 900 or something.

No you might not have a seat. But the ride is like 10 fucking minutes.

Last year, we stayed at the Renaissance St. Elm and walked over to the Pearl Station around 8:15, and it was pretty empty--just a handful of fans on the platform and plenty of room on the trains.  Since that is roughly the timeframe @YGIFS is talking about, Pearl makes a lot of sense.

Of course, if he goes later, that station is going to be more crowded and the trains going through it are going to be full.  So it really is a question of timing.

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

That's not true. On the game day they have event specific trains that bypass downtown all together and go straight to the fair. Also, they shut down fair Park station and pick up and drop off at MLK station down the street. 

Parking is free at Market Center station and they have quite a bit of room. Just drive there. 

That was not the case last year.  But then again, I left Pearl at 8:15 last year and didn't get back on the train until around 5:30.  So perhaps closer to gametime the set-up is different.

Yeah, I'm just doing it in a goofy fashion this year is all.  I'd be happy to park, I just have to leave early and can't risk being blocked in.  And most years, we didn't drive because we'd be shitfaced drunk by Noon.  This year, I'm driving in from Fort Worth instead of Austin.  In my SiL's car (no pics), not drinking, and need to bolt for Round Rock of all places before the end of the game.  So Pearl Station it is.  

Each of us has a path to take, a journey, an Odyssey if you will.  But in the end, we are the same sojourners.  A Burnt Orange band of misfits with but one destiny.  To make it Fair Park and home again safely.  And in the middle of that, reminding the fat OU fan with 21 teeth and an IQ about the same.....that their sign indicating they will, in fact, suck Venables dick for tickets, will indeed come true.  But they won't like the contest's outcum.  

9 hours ago, Hermanator said:

To me it's not even a consideration. It isn't Texas OU without the dart ride to the Cotton bowl. I enjoy it

This was a while back, but I rode the train in from Plano one year(The Shipley kick return year).  We were packed in like sardines and by there were a number of stops where there was no one able to get on as we approached town. We got stuck outside the fair at some point in Deep Ellum.  We eventually pried the doors open as game time approached. I had to run to the game and got there just in time to see Shipley's return.

That sucked and I haven't ridden the DART since. I'm sure they've gotten it straightened out, but I'm scared for life.

There looks like trains literally every ten minutes along the Green Line.  Like you, I am concerned there may not be capacity by the time I get on at Pearl.  Between and finding secure parking that's open and accepting payment so they can't pull some bullshit when I get back like "Not our fault the pay kiosk wasn't working at 7:30am, here's how you get your car outta impound."  

But I'm gonna take LL Lawyer's suggestion and park and ride from Pearl assuming I can get a spot for the vehicle and a spot for my ass on the train.  And if he's wrong, I will sue him.  For punitive damages that he's giving me.  And I have insurance.  But it's through a friend.  

4 hours ago, skilesare said:

This was a while back, but I rode the train in from Plano one year(The Shipley kick return year).  We were packed in like sardines and by there were a number of stops where there was no one able to get on as we approached town. We got stuck outside the fair at some point in Deep Ellum.  We eventually pried the doors open as game time approached. I had to run to the game and got there just in time to see Shipley's return.

That sucked and I haven't ridden the DART since. I'm sure they've gotten it straightened out, but I'm scared for life.

Yeah Parker Rd is WAY too far to be riding from. Not just for the ride in but for the ride out after the game when you gotta sit for over an hour and change trains to get back. 

That's why Market Center is the best for it. Tons of parking, and with the direct train there you might not get a seat but it's fairly quick. Then after the game it's about 20 min back from the fair. Keeps you from having to pay sketchy people around fair park to put your car into some sketchy lot. 

If anyone is taking dart and doesn't have it get the GoPass app. You can buy your Dart tickets ahead of time on there and just activate them when you get on the train. 

How did it work out? Stayed the whole game, got on the tram to my car in lot 15 and was at home around 4. I live 15 minutes from the Fair. I feel like you were going to be stuck at the Fair Park station for a bit. 

Edited by mdmost

good call is all I know on doing Market Center as opposed to Pearl.  Based on the hour I left.  It got more and more packed and nobody after Victory really got on because of how crowded it was.  Fucking insane even at 7:30/8:00a.  Gotta admit, OU fans on the rail line with us were tolerable.  But fuck, we were packed in like sardines, even that early.  Parking logistics quickly because the least of my worries.  When you're 6'1"/210# and you're smaller than every woman on the train car, it's gonna get lit.  

Ride back at halftime was dead empty but stopped for mandatory union shit or whatever.  I dunno, but took just as long even though 2 people got on/got off at each of 5 stops.  Didn't give a shit to figure it out.  B ut overall setup and timing was okay.  Will take the kids that way next year or just leave from fort Worth and transfer.  Thanks for all advice, the aggregate made for a decent time...besides the 4th quarter.  

5 hours ago, WBT said:

This is the way

Definitely was.  Drove up and parked right outside gate 5 for $40 at 715am.  Made a bee line out of that MF’er after the game and got out of there pretty easily. Disclaimer:  I’m 51 and don’t drink like I used to, so the whole alcohol factor is a non issue.  I had three whole beers at the fair and game. 

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:

Definitely was.  Drove up and parked right outside gate 5 for $40 at 715am.  Made a bee line out of that MF’er after the game and got out of there pretty easily. Disclaimer:  I’m 51 and don’t drink like I used to, so the whole alcohol factor is a non issue.  I had three whole beers at the fair and game. 

Help me understand the benefit of parking outside Gate 5 for $40 instead of inside for $20. 

I'd imagine the ability to get outside of the gates and go is worth the $20. I've debated doing that for concerts at Starplex since it's a massive pain in the ass to leave. But it's a massive pain in the ass to leave the Fair Park area as it's no longer made for that many people, let alone all the Fair goers trying to leave. We park over in Lot 15 over by Haskell because it's easier for us to get into and out of coming from the White Rock Lake area. We hop on a tram to the Pan Am Gate. It's easy getting in. Less so getting out but then you get to your car and right out the gate with a lot less traffic than being closer to the actual Fair. 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Help me understand the benefit of parking outside Gate 5 for $40 instead of inside for $20. 

I guess I just don’t know any better. All I saw was premium parking for $40 and took it. Didn’t see any $20 parking. I’m a sucker for premium anything. lol. 

• Haha 1