2023 QB Controversy: Maalikmas or Arch Madness?

Twizzler

So just play him the next 4 games... he can still redshirt.  Frankly the talk is meaningless though. There is no way you can't tell me Archie, Peyton and Eli would say "I know the team needs you and is currently in the hunt for the playoffs and championship(s)... but we said no playing him this year".  That is just stupid.
You think his actual dad(Cooper) might have a say in the decision? Or do the QBs in the family just tell him to sit in the corner and be quiet?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Atticus said:

Spring game doesn’t count toward your redshirt count. Arch hasn’t played in a real game yet. 
If you play in more than 4 games, you burn your shirt. 

The spring game does count if your team's website marks it as a win. It's the Aggie Rule.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hoping Maalik balls out for the time he is playing at Texas! Hope he’s lights out Saturday and for however long we need him to play. 

As for Arch, not only is he gifted with the genetics but his uncles and dad have no doubt given him great advice about going pro and everything he needs to do. Hell he grew up around the Manning QB camp. Because he’s well off already in life he doesn’t need any NIL money as evidenced by his recent donation to the Ronald McDonald house. He came here to learn under Sark and to develop all facets of his game and to play for Texas until he graduates/has no more eligibility.  

If we need him to play he will be up to speed. He’s the perfect QB to run Sark’s offense. But it was wise to let him sit. I don’t think for a second though that if his name is called his family wouldn’t understand and more than that they’d be 100% ok with him having to step up and be supportive of that.

I hope Maalik balls out for our sake and Maalik’s sake. I am excited to see what he can do. Whether he portals out or not I’ve always wished our guys nothing but the best and I do here.

Here’s to hoping we win out and get to Big 12 Championship! 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Pound Town said:

Burning the shirt is hard to do at this point in the season…assuming Ewers can come back relatively soon.

Replacing a player in an emergency situation is exactly how Peyton got his first action.  The Mannings are well aware this is a team sport.  

While this isn’t a bad post I feel the need to neg it because the poster has a negative overall rep. I’m biased by internet voting. 

• Haha 2

I hope some of you aren't in any managerial roles.  Your tactical reasoning sucks.

If Maalik isn't cutting it and Arch has to play, he can at the very least get us through the Iowa State game.  That gives Ewers 4.5 weeks from today to get well (at a minimum) before Manning's redshirt is on the table.  Beyond that, any game Maalik plays w/o Arch hitting the field just adds to that available recovery time.

I seriously doubt these helicopters known as Peyton and Archie don't understand that at some point your nephew/grandson needs to step up for the team.  Come the fuck on.  If they do, well, transfer him out of here.  We don't need that shit.  What we need is (1) Quinn getting better, and fast and (2) Maalik kicking ass and (3) Arch kicking ass if need be.

• Hook 'Em 2

They will try hard to get thru this game with MM because it would allow Arch to then play several key games down the stretch without burning his redshirt too early by playing against BYU. 

If we see Arch it’s because the first half went poorly. 

33 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Because Eli refused to play for the Chargers.

If some slapdick team like the Raiders has the #1 pick after Arch's junior year, he very well may come back to college with his 5 million dollar NIL valuation or at least threaten them to trade the pick to a favorable destination 

Yeah I get it. The end result is the same. But the chargers traded the player not the pick. And got several other picks but 0 Lombardis. 

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I hope some of you aren't in any managerial roles.  Your tactical reasoning sucks.

As an experienced tactical manager, I would ignore sound advice and pick the QB based on my personal bias. If the team wins, I take credit for the decision. If they lose, I blame the QB for poor performance. 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

They will try hard to get thru this game with MM because it would allow Arch to then play several key games down the stretch without burning his redshirt too early by playing against BYU. 

If we see Arch it’s because the first half went poorly. 

I just can't imagine that matters. Manning won't be here in 2027. 

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

As an experienced tactical manager, I would ignore sound advice and pick the QB based on my personal bias. If the team wins, I take credit for the decision. If they lose, I blame the QB for poor performance. 

I had no idea my former boss posted on surly. 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I had no idea my former boss posted on surly. 

I had no idea we used to work together.