Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

The talk in here about Yordan batting leadoff is giving me flashbacks to all of the handwringing and hairpulling in here about Springer/Altuve batting leadoff. Yeah we maximize plate appearances, but every solo homer is another 50 message board posts about it.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, APMP said:

The talk in here about Yordan batting leadoff is giving me flashbacks to all of the handwringing and hairpulling in here about Springer/Altuve batting leadoff. Yeah we maximize plate appearances, but every solo homer is another 50 message board posts about it.

batting yordan twice in the line up would be full optimization 

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Don’t forget - Third base/LF side. You wanna be in the sun. 

I went to Minnesota lol....I think I can handle it.  Plus I want to be on Astros dugout side. 

2 of them are night games anyway

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

batting yordan twice in the line up would be full optimization 

having 2 runners OB for one of those PA's sure does sound better to me, but who cares about runs scored?

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

having 2 runners OB for one of those PA's sure does sound better to me, but who cares about runs scored?

This is why optimally you want him batting 2nd (not leadoff or even 3rd). The leadoff hitter has a runner on ahead of them less than any other spot in the lineup; conversely, 3 frequently has at-bats with no one on and 2 out-it’s actually a less important spot than 4 or even 5 in terms of likelihood of having runners on. 2 should be your best overall hitter, one with both high OBP and power.

30 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

How the hell do you have negative war from your first round picks over the span of any decade?

We get credit for more than that for Mark Appel alone.  Whitley's not looking so bad either.

Edited by WBT
  • Haha 2