2023-24 Houston Rockets Thread - Climbing out of the Gutter?

BigOrange1

Posted (edited)

Just think he fits well with what is available this year and who would come here. 

Paired with Amen makes sense. He can play point or score 40. A willing defender. He is basically what you hope Green can become. 

Fits the gritty style of this team. 

Amen

Mitchell

Bari/Brooks

Alpi

Adams

Bench: Tari, Whitmore, Landale

That team may find the 6 seed with some help for the bench at PG

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Just think he fits well with what is available this year and who would come here. 

Paired with Amen makes sense. He can play point or score 40. A willing defender. He is basically what you hope Green can become. 

Fits the gritty style of this team. 

Amen

Mitchell

Bari/Brooks

Alpi

Adams

Bench: Tari, Whitmore, Landale

That team may find the 6 seed with some help for the bench at PG

Calvin Murphy thinks they’ll be the 5 seed so you’re not on an island. As long as we’re not in the play-in, I’m good. 

I do think the Lakers will be better. Bron knows this is probably it, and we’re long overdue for another Rich Paul/Clutch “miraculous” trade. The Kings will probably be the only play-in team to run it back. New Orleans and GSW will be retooling if not rebuilding. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Cliffs? I’ve tried to open so many Chronicle articles without a subscription, it’ll be 2049 before they let me read 1 for free. 

houstonchronicle.com is free. It doesn’t have everything but does have this article. 

The Brooklyn pick is the one that moved up, Rockets original pick fell at 12 and was conveyed to OKC as expected.

Detroit got leapfrogged by everyone to fall the their lowest possible spot at 5

awesome result.  i was convinced that we'd be picking #9, so this is a very nice surprise.  There is a lot that can be done with the #3 pick.  even in a weak draft, it should be a pretty solid trade chip if they wanted to go that route.  my first inclination is just to keep the pick and take Donovan Clingan.  I think he profiles as a perfect compliment to Sengun.  but i'm open to exploring trades for established players as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Wow--third pick is actually somewhat more useful than the first pick for this Rockets team.  First pick and they'd feel compelled to keep it and I don't like any of the options at the top of the draft. 

Posted (edited)

Finally got some luck in the draft lottery. Assuming Sarr and Risacher are gone, we should have the pick of the litter. Reed Sheppard would be ideal. We desperately need a good shooter. He could become our Donte Divincenzo. A strong case could be made for Clingan too. This offseason is going to be huge for Rafael Stone. He has a lot of pieces to use for a big trade for an established star like Dejountay Murray or Donovan Mitchell. With the right draft pick/trade, the Rockets can join Minnesota and OKC at the top of the West for the next decade.

BTW, where is @HtownHorn? He hasn’t posted here in a couple of months.

Edited by Macklemore

Clingan would be an awful pick for the Rockets. He'd help with interior defense but he and Sengun would have a hard enough time sharing the floor together before trying to fit in Amen and taking into account our general lack of shooters.

Reed Sheppard is the obvious option if we keep the pick. He should be a very good shooter and thrive playing off of Sengun as a secondary creator.

Just now, TonyTexas said:

He hasn’t posted on any thread for 6 weeks. I, for one, don’t miss him. 

Why? I think he has good knowledge and is a familiar name that regularly added to the Houston sports threads. He thinks he is right all the time which isn’t unusual in a board full of assholes :)

32 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Why? I think he has good knowledge and is a familiar name that regularly added to the Houston sports threads. He thinks he is right all the time which isn’t unusual in a board full of assholes :)

I mean if a poster died how would we ever know. Whatever happened to phlegm, he disappeared too. Htown quit posting around the Texas loss to Barnes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Often wrong, never in doubt. Needs to be the new Surly motto. 

Great result today, I totally forgot about it and it was a nice surprise to see pop up on my phone. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’d package it up with green and shop around. If we keep this pick it’s because no one wanted it. 

Who would be your ideal targets in a fantasy world assuming a case can be made for a change of scenery?

Sign and trade not possible etc?

Depends on who’s available after the playoffs.  I’m sure the FO likes green more than we do and I wouldn’t be surprised if they stayed in the top 3 and took someone and just kept stockpiling assets. I wouldn’t just trade it away unless it really upgraded our roster. If Green played all season like he seems to do for about a 20 game stretch where he’s dropping 30+ a game then we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

I’ve seen people mention Mitchell but not sure why Cleveland would do that? I don’t think they’d trade him unless it was an upgrade or I guess we attach more picks but I wouldn’t give up a top 3 pick and green and then attach more picks. Are they looking to salary dump or something?

22 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’ve seen people mention Mitchell but not sure why Cleveland would do that? I don’t think they’d trade him unless it was an upgrade or I guess we attach more picks but I wouldn’t give up a top 3 pick and green and then attach more picks. Are they looking to salary dump or something?

Only has 1 year on his deal remaining. Something better than nothing?

23 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

This-also, I’m not really knowledgeable about current NBA talent in general, but just looking at PER paints a somewhat dire picture for upgrading over Green.  There’s definitely not a Harden who is obviously poised to bloom with more minutes.

Mitchell is really the only one that looks possibly attainable and/or has a peak that appears to line up well with Sengun, et.al.

4 hours ago, goatsaag said:

Clingan would be an awful pick for the Rockets. He'd help with interior defense but he and Sengun would have a hard enough time sharing the floor together before trying to fit in Amen and taking into account our general lack of shooters.

Reed Sheppard is the obvious option if we keep the pick. He should be a very good shooter and thrive playing off of Sengun as a secondary creator.

Clingan wouldn't play alongside Sengun.  He'd back him up and take some of his minutes in situations where defense is needed more than offense.

51 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

So if they thought they’ll lose him then they trade him but we would be in the same boat. I guess it’s worth the risk if he walks after one year but I bet the FO wants long term guys to build on. 

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Whatever Cleveland does with Mitchell will be the wrong thing.  We’re talking about Cleveland…where paint chips are a basic good group.

• Haha 1

i'm not 100% opposed to a Jalen Green and #3 pick for Donovan Mitchell trade, but an extension for Mitchell has to be part of the deal.  You can't trade a 22 year old you took #2 overall and has flashed + a #3 pick for a one year rental.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So if they thought they’ll lose him then they trade him but we would be in the same boat. I guess it’s worth the risk if he walks after one year but I bet the FO wants long term guys to build on. 

An agreed upon extension would be a requirement to that deal

He’s a max guy and trading him for Green + pick gets you out of the decision to max Green or not in a year. 

If it’s max Green or Mitchell?  That’s not even close at this point. 

Ok so let’s say Mitchell falls through who else is out there for a trade? If they can’t find their guy I wouldn’t be surprised if they keep the pick. I also wouldn’t think the list is very long for a trade package like that. 

17 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Ok so let’s say Mitchell falls through who else is out there for a trade? If they can’t find their guy I wouldn’t be surprised if they keep the pick. I also wouldn’t think the list is very long for a trade package like that. 

Maybe Ingram from NO, he is also in the final year of his deal next year, and NO is going to have a tough decision to extend him after the extension to Williamson.

Maybe a deal like Brooks, Landale, Tate, and #3 for Ingram. Basically, the Rockets should be looking at any mid-20s guy with 1 season remaining on their current contract, especially guys that play the 2 or 3.

I agree with ChickenSandwich above, extending Green should only occur because you couldn't find a better player with our current assets.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Maybe Ingram from NO, he is also in the final year of his deal next year, and NO is going to have a tough decision to extend him after the extension to Williamson.

Maybe a deal like Brooks, Landale, Tate, and #3 for Ingram. Basically, the Rockets should be looking at any mid-20s guy with 1 season remaining on their current contract, especially guys that play the 2 or 3.

I agree with ChickenSandwich above, extending Green should only occur because you couldn't find a better player with our current assets.

I want no part of Ingram. NOLA benched him during the playoffs.

Mitchell is more consistent than Green, but lower ceiling. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I want no part of Ingram. NOLA benched him during the playoffs.

Mitchell is more consistent than Green, but lower ceiling. 

Ingram was benched during the playoffs but averaged 36.4 MPG? Did he play well, nope, NO was completely outmatched by OKC especially with Zion not playing a game in that series.

Lower ceiling? Mitchell is Green's ceiling, except he's likely never going to reach it. 

Edited by HtownHorn

#3 in this draft and Green will get you someone like Kyle Kuzma, not Donovan Mitchell lol... Y'all are delusional if you think Spida is going anywhere for less than a King's ransom. He's Clevelands entire offense right now, and they want to offer him a full max deal this summer. He might take it, he might not, not real sure, but you bet your ass there will be several teams bidding for him if he won't commit. 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

#3 in this draft and Green will get you someone like Kyle Kuzma, not Donovan Mitchell lol... Y'all are delusional if you think Spida is going anywhere for less than a King's ransom. He's Clevelands entire offense right now, and they want to offer him a full max deal this summer. He might take it, he might not, not real sure, but you bet your ass there will be several teams bidding for him if he won't commit. 

If Dillon Brooks is leaving, I'd take Kyle Kuzma in a trade for Green and #3.

I really want Green to become a consistent Green and then run it back with a shooter coming off the bench with Cam and Tari at 3.

The Rockets actually have a decent first 8 if Tari and Amen stay healthy. They need a backup 4/5 and a 3D shooter.

Edited by Slacks

7 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Glad you’re back man

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Its Alive Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

I think the Rockets end up with Reed Shepard at #3. He makes the most sense considering the team needs more shooters. He can back up Van Vleet for a season, and then hopefully take over in the backcourt with Thompson. I think Green is given one more shot next season and fails again leading to his trade at the deadline.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

if so, that's fine.  someone else can pay the ransom.

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Don’t think Mitchell has a no trade clause, just a 15% trade bonus. 

FVV probably only with the team one more season. 

I don’t know why we’d want to pay for the downside of VanFleet’s career.  

I’ve been reading draft stuff all morning and the only consensus seems to be that this is a really shitty draft.  

it may be a shitty draft, but the advantage of already having a core 6 of 23 and younger guys is that there is no need to hit a home run with the pick.  just get someone who can contribute (of which there should be plenty of guys in the draft who can/will) and you've added another young and useful piece to your core.  so what if their ceiling isn't an all-star player?  if you can get someone who can be the 4th guy on a playoff team, that's a win.

if this were year 1 or 2 of the rebuild, it'd suck that this draft doesn't look like it will produce a superstar.  but thats not where the rockets are anymore.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

IMG_0210.jpeg

Yea there’s a few mocks that have reed way down and some that have Clingan down and one had us taking Dalton Knecht. I guess they just rank their own instead of seeing team needs and basing it off that. 

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

it may be a shitty draft, but the advantage of already having a core 6 of 23 and younger guys is that there is no need to hit a home run with the pick.

Everything I’ve seen is that the Rockets want to trade this pick either for a vet or future assets. They feel like they have enough youngsters at this time.