THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

2 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Texas jumping Oregon this week should be the case given our comparable victories over Tech. But alas, we live in an imperfect world so i doubt it happens.

I think the two concerns I have are:

1. If Bama beats Georgia, will the committee put both into the playoffs. I think that is very much a possibility, at which point PAC-12, Big10, and SEC are competing for the NC and Big12/ACC are left out.

2. If FSU beats Louisville, regardless of what happens in other conferences, we'll be cockblocked. 

IMHO, we need a decisive win over OSU, a decisive win for Georgia over Alabama, and an FSU loss. Then we'll have Washington/Oregon, Michigan, Georgia, and Texas in the playoffs.

I think we get the SEC's spot if we blow out Okie State and Alabama wins a close one against Georgia.

I am pulling for Alabama, Louisville, and Iowa this weekend.

Any win, decisive or not, by UGA means Alabama is out.  Alabama is less likely to make the playoffs than Texas unless they blow out UGA and we win a close one or lose.

• Hook 'Em 3

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

Our 2004 team actually got the best deal possible.

Hence we need Sark to get some TV time if we win on Saturday morning. AAC champ game, ACC champ game, B1G champ game (maybe not, bc Fox) to make our case, like Mack 2004. 

SOS

Best win of the regular season 

Result versus common opponent in Tech

12 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

teach-you-this-lesson-sponge-bob.gif

PSA: Texas as a 1 loss conference champion is not going behind a 1 loss non conf champion.

Especially Georgia, when the 4 major criteria they follow are:

1. Conference Championship (Adv Texas, and Texas would own a road win over the SEC champ)

2. Head to head (Not applicable)

3. SOS (Adv Texas)

4. Common Opponents (Adv Texas, we would have beaten Bama on the road and UGA would have lost at a neutral site)

And before anyone tries to say best loss, that argument collapses on itself because their "best loss" is to a team we beat. 

Texas may not go in front of Bama or UO, that is debatable. But OSU, UGA, and Washington arent going in front of us.  

The committee can care about an undefeated regular season. They can care about 'best loss,' which UO, OSU, UGA, and Washington would have over us.  OSU will have the toughest time with 1 less game / win.

4 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I think we get the SEC's spot if we blow out Okie State and Alabama wins a close one against Georgia.

I am pulling for Alabama, Louisville, and Iowa this weekend.

Any win, decisive or not, by UGA means Alabama is out.  Alabama is less likely to make the playoffs than Texas unless they blow out UGA and we win a close one or lose.

why on earth would you root for Alabama? what possible good would their winning do for us? Do you think that would eliminate the SEC from the playoffs?

Edit: (on a conference call and my reading comprehension took a hit...) There is no way the SEC is bumped out of the playoffs if Georgia loses to Alabama. 

Edited by ChickenNuggets

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I mean, I would have big issues with 12-1 Texas going over 13-0 FSU. You beat everyone on your schedule in a P5 conference and won your champ game, you’re in. 

Injuries happen and they suck. But if FSU beat 2 P5 teams with their backup, they should be in 

Agree. If FSU wins on Saturday it would be fucked to leave them out, whether that’s in favor of us or non conference champs Georgia. The only way an undefeated P5 champ should miss the playoffs would be if there happened to be 5 of them. 

It’s a stupid system, but it is what it is. 

5 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

O, we need a decisive win over OSU, a decisive win for Georgia over Alabama, and an FSU loss. Then we'll have Washington/Oregon, Michigan, Georgia, and Texas in the playoffs.

Provided Texas beats oSu, an FSU loss by itself puts Texas in, without any other considerations.  Georgia/Alabama is irrelevant, Washington/Oregon is irrelevant.

Same goes for a Michigan loss (yeah, I know that's not going to happen).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Provided Texas beats oSu, an FSU loss by itself puts Texas in, without any other considerations.  Georgia/Alabama is irrelevant, Washington/Oregon is irrelevant.

Same goes for a Michigan loss (yeah, I know that's not going to happen).

I think the committee puts a 1-loss alabama team who just beat Georgia in with Georgia and eliminates Texas. 

It's literally the most no-brain scenario for the committee.  3 undefeated champs and the other two champs already played each other.  There's zero controversy in this scenario.  You are completely regarded if you think they choose a big controversy over the obvious.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 3

Texas can jump Oregon this week in the rankings but it would make no difference if Oregon beats an undefeated Washington on Friday and Texas beats oSu. Oregon would go right back over us as their win is better than ours. FSU losing is our only path. Bama winning doesn't help us. Bama or Oregon beating an undefeated is bigger than Texas beating a team that lost 3 games. I think Georgia is still out if they lose to Bama because then Texas has a win over the team that has a win against an undefeated team. But that doesn't change things if FSU wins out. It just shuffles who goes in between Bama or Georgia. Undefeated trumps one loss every time. People would be howling if FSU gets passed over should they win out despite all they went through. We would howl if Texas had gotten passed over because Maalik had to come get out two wins with Quinn being out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Order of Games: Friday PM: PAC Champ, Sat AM: Big 12 Champ, Sat 3PM: SEC Champ, Sat PM: Big 10 Champ and ACC champ

For what it is worth, I dont see Bama beating Georgia. Milroe is a low IQ QB and I think they will expose that like Texas did. Georgia will only lose if they turn the ball over multiple times. 

Georgia has been vulnerable when it hasn't been able to dominate the line of scrimmage. While it may dominate Alabama's offensive line, its oline will also face problems. I think Milroe is an x factor that gets Bama over Georgia. 

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Georgia has been vulnerable when it hasn't been able to dominate the line of scrimmage. While it may dominate Alabama's offensive line, its oline will also face problems. I think Milroe is an x factor that gets Bama over Georgia. 

Milroe has faded hard against every single decent defense he's faced.  Bama also has not been tested in the air much since Texas.  They didn't do well.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Jawja fans are def worried about Milroe’s legs killing them with the LB injuries they’ve had. I think Dumas-Johnson is week to week but hasn’t played in 2 weeks 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, AnotherLawyer said:

How fucking old are you? 12? We lost points in the AP, Coach's, etc. It was the computer polls that boosted us. Mack's politicking had the opposite effect in the polls where people did the voting.

The whole situation was humiliating and the team that beat us was 12-0. It was ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

We would howl if Texas had gotten passed over because Maalik had to come get out two wins with Quinn being out. 

Apples and Oranges...  They wouldn't pass Texas over because of Maalik because that was weeks ago.  FSU is currently operating with a very shaky backup (and their starter isn't coming back).  If he looks terrible again this week, that doesn't help FSU's case.  In my opinion, FSU should absolutely be in if they win even if they look like crap, but it's being debated in the media.  

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

There is a lot of garbage in the SEC this year. They should not be guaranteed a spot, depending on how things shake out.

True but Georgia has won the National Championship two years in a row. That carries a lot of cache. So Bama beating that team will win the day. 

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Texas can jump Oregon this week in the rankings but it would make no difference if Oregon beats an undefeated Washington on Friday and Texas beats oSu. Oregon would go right back over us as their win is better than ours. FSU losing is our only path. Bama winning doesn't help us. 

You are wrong, as has been explained many times. Bama beating Georgia absolutely helps us, although by no means guarantees we get in. It strengthens our win compared to Oregon’s win over Washington (whereas if Bama loses, Oregon can claim both a better win and a better loss compared to us). If Bama, Texas, Oregon and FSU all win, I’m betting Texas gets in. Whether that’s over Oregon or Bama, I’m not sure. If Georgia, FSU and Oregon win, we are toast.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

True but Georgia has won the National Championship two years in a row. That carries a lot of cache. So Bama beating that team will win the day. 

I want to get ahead of "Well the SEC HAS to get in...." if it's down to Texas and Bama for spot 4. Well no, they don't, because we've already settled that matchup. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I hate the idea that you can use your CCG opponent as a “best win.” That’s fully out of your control. Texas would have 100% proffered (stupid Subway ads) OU versus OSU to boost their resume.

Texas still has the best win of the regular season of any team, period, and that’s what you can control. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

Cal fans are the only people that still remember or care about that. The following results for both teams shut everybody else up.

There are Cal fans?

Ok. I was talking about how much it sucked at the time.

Sure once we beat Michigan we proved ourselves. But the fact a 10-1 had to prove it wasn't shitty was a little ridiculous.

Edited by Valmy77

21 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Texas jumping Oregon this week should be the case given our comparable victories over Tech. But alas, we live in an imperfect world so i doubt it happens.

I think the two concerns I have are:

1. If Bama beats Georgia, will the committee put both into the playoffs. I think that is very much a possibility, at which point PAC-12, Big10, and SEC are competing for the NC and Big12/ACC are left out.

2. If FSU beats Louisville, regardless of what happens in other conferences, we'll be cockblocked. 

IMHO, we need a decisive win over OSU, a decisive win for Georgia over Alabama, and an FSU loss. Then we'll have Washington/Oregon, Michigan, Georgia, and Texas in the playoffs.

2 loss Bama isnt sniffing the playoffs no matter if they lose by 1 or 50

confused-wth.gif

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, AnotherLawyer said:

How fucking old are you? 12? We lost points in the AP, Coach's, etc. It was the computer polls that boosted us. Mack's politicking had the opposite effect in the polls where people did the voting.

BCS rankings: Why AP Top 25 Poll withdrew in 2004 - Sports Illustrated

This article contradicts your memory. 

"... Then came the 2004 season, which was marked by two controversies that left Cal and Auburn feeling jilted and put the polls that determined their fate in a burdensome position.

Thanks to a late push from voters in the AP and coaches polls resulted in the Texas jumped Cal for the No. 4 spot in the BCS rankings, a week after both teams had finished their regular seasons, which put the Longhorns in position for selection to the Rose Bowl. Three AP voters in Texas flipped their votes in favor of UT following a soapbox speech from coach Mack Brown."

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

You are wrong, as has been explained many times. Bama beating Georgia absolutely helps us, although by no means guarantees we get in. It strengthens our win compared to Oregon’s win over Washington (whereas if Bama loses, Oregon can claim both a better win and a better loss compared to us). If Bama, Texas, Oregon and FSU all win, I’m betting Texas gets in. Whether that’s over Oregon or Bama, I’m not sure. If Georgia, FSU and Oregon win, we are toast.

Oregon can still claim a better win because of recency to the win. Beating an undefeated in the final game with a playoff spot on the line while avenging your lone loss will be viewed as a greater win that Texas beating Bama in week 2 combined with beating 3 loss oSu. You will get the "Bama was a different team when Texas beat them". It will happen. It's not right but that's what will happen. The Pac 12, probably because of this being its final year is getting a lot more credibility as a conference than the Big 12. I simply do not believe Texas will get in if Bama and Oregon both beat undefeated teams. I guess we'll see. 

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

There are Cal fans?

Ok. I was talking about how much it sucked at the time.

Sure once we beat Michigan we proved ourselves. But the fact a 11-1 had to prove it wasn't shitty was a little ridiculous.

I do remember a lot of west coast types whining about their precious Big 10 vs Pac 10 Rose Bowl being ruined. I wonder how they feel about realignment. 

40 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I mean, I would have big issues with 12-1 Texas going over 13-0 FSU. You beat everyone on your schedule in a P5 conference and won your champ game, you’re in. 

Injuries happen and they suck. But if FSU beat 2 P5 teams with their backup, they should be in 

I would normally agree with this, but since it's UT we're talking about being left out, I disagree completely.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Milroe has faded hard against every single decent defense he's faced.  Bama also has not been tested in the air much since Texas.  They didn't do well.

Milroe has been good in every game when accounting for competition. Sure, if you only look at passer rating and ignore his contribution on the ground, you can claim he has done poorly. But even then, he hasn't done that bad. Once you account for all the pressure he puts on the ground (and makes up for Alabama's poor offensive line), grading as anything but good for Alabama becomes asinine .  I think Milroe and defense are the strength of the Alabama team. 

2 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

"... Then came the 2004 season, which was marked by two controversies that left Cal and Auburn feeling jilted and put the polls that determined their fate in a burdensome position.

Thanks to a late push from voters in the AP and coaches polls resulted in the Texas jumped Cal for the No. 4 spot in the BCS rankings, a week after both teams had finished their regular seasons, which put the Longhorns in position for selection to the Rose Bowl. Three AP voters in Texas flipped their votes in favor of UT following a soapbox speech from coach Mack Brown."

Someone needs to pull up SynTex's post from Hornfans.  Because Sports Illustrated is wrong. We lost votes the week Mack Brown politicked.  The next week when Cal struggled against Southern Mississippi, we picked some votes back up.  But even some of those were people correcting bullshit like a few pollsters who had us 8 or behind Utah.  Not sure many, if at all, were at the expense of switching us with Cal.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Oregon can still claim a better win because of recency to the win. Beating an undefeated in the final game with a playoff spot on the line while avenging your lone loss will be viewed as a greater win that Texas beating Bama in week 2 combined with beating 3 loss oSu. You will get the "Bama was a different team when Texas beat them". It will happen. It's not right but that's what will happen. The Pac 12, probably because of this being its final year is getting a lot more credibility as a conference than the Big 12. I simply do not believe Texas will get in if Bama and Oregon both beat undefeated teams. I guess we'll see. 

Maybe, but it at least puts us in play. If Georgia wins, that spot is 100% taken and we almost certainly lose out to Oregon. Sadly, I don’t think we’ll find out because I suspect Georgia will win and cover.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

And that article is 10000% fucking wrong. Syntex did an analysis definitively proving that narrative was false.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah we need FSU to lose to Louisville or some truly bizarre shit to happen.

Fortunately this is the last time we have to endure this bullshit as a one loss team. I know it has been a while since 2008 and 2004 but the garbage our 1 loss teams have had to endure is just ridiculous. So tired of it. It would be cool for things to work out just once.

This is where I’m at. We’re playing a championship game against a team that got wrecked by Georgia Southern and UCF. The league was absolute shit this year, and we had too many close games. I think those are factors the committee with cite when they screw us over.

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Milroe has been good in every game when accounting for competition. Sure, if you only look at passer rating and ignore his contribution on the ground, you can claim he has done poorly. But even then, he hasn't done that bad. Once you account for all the pressure he puts on the ground (and makes up for Alabama's poor offensive line), grading as anything but good for Alabama becomes asinine .  I think Milroe and defense are the strength of the Alabama team. 

Milroe has been good pretty much all year.  It's not like he sucked when they played us.  He made several plays against us under pressure that were basically the only reason Alabama scored touchdowns against us.  This narrative that Milroe was bad early in the year and that's why Texas won but he has improved and now Bama is clearly better than Texas due to such improvement is bullshit.

Milroe Pass Rating by game:

MTSU -- 217.8

Texas -- 140.8

Ole Miss -- 177.1

Miss State -- 198.1

A&M -- 169.3

Arkansas -- 174.2

Tennessee -- 176.6

LSU -- 145.2

Kentucky -- 193.4

Chattanooga -- 246.6

UGA -- 184.4

He has been remarkably consistent all year long as a passer, despite what moutbreather SEC fan claims.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Maybe, but it at least puts us in play. If Georgia wins, that spot is 100% taken and we almost certainly lose out to Oregon. Sadly, I don’t think we’ll find out because I suspect Georgia will win and cover.

Oregon wins, Bama wins, Iowa wins, Louisville wins. Any one of those things MIGHT get us in, though FSU losing almost definitely will.

But going by how these things have gone this year none lf those will happen and we will be #5.

But at least we would finally have a conference championship and a bright future ahead of us.

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]