MLB Hot Stove 2023/24

TonyTexas

On 12/26/2023 at 6:58 PM, tx 3 putt said:

He better get out of country asap …

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/rays-wander-franco-summoned-by-dominican-authorities-as-part-of-ongoing-investigation-per-report/

The summons is related to an ongoing investigation by local authorities into Franco's alleged inappropriate relationships with a series of minors. 

So not just the one, yikes.

My man.

The Jays reportedly signed Isiah Kiner-Falefa to a two-year $15 million contract. I don’t know why.

He can play all over the field, so he’s a poor man’s Whit Merrifield (though not all that poor at $15 million). In the majors, he’s played every position, other than first base. Infield, he’s pretty decent with the glove. I’d rather not play him in the outfield. He has caught 586 innings. 

The unfortunate thing is he can’t hit. Last year, he hit .242/.306/.340 for a 82 wRC+ (right around his career number) in 361 PA. If he gets 361 PA this year for the Jays, something has gone wrong. I’d rather have Espinal in the ‘play everything’ spot. Or Biggio. Or any of half-a-dozen guys in the minors who would make less than $15 million in the next couple of years.

Isiah must be a good guy because he’s played six full seasons without coming close to being a major league average hitter in any of them. 

• Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Quite the step up. The Royals’ previous biggest contract was Salvador Perez at 4/$82M

Remember, this is the organization that let Beltran walk over a $1M difference. Not per year but over the life of the contract.

I'm still not sold on our GM but it looks like ownership has deeper pockets than ever before.

Does Brian Cashman work nights for the Astros? 5 year, $25 million a year to a 30 whatever year old with an injury history coming off a couple seasons of declining production is a bold strategy cotton. 
Over 900 OPS and over 150 OPS+ last two seasons is a decline all of us in Houston will deal with

Just now, Scraps said:
7 minutes ago, Helobious said:
Does Brian Cashman work nights for the Astros? 5 year, $25 million a year to a 30 whatever year old with an injury history coming off a couple seasons of declining production is a bold strategy cotton. 

Over 900 OPS and over 150 OPS+ last too seasons is a decline all of us in Houston will deal with

I mean you’re looking at 1 more good season, 1 decent one, and 3 years of dogshit. These contracts to guys his age have worked out well exactly 0% of the time.  

I mean you’re looking at 1 more good season, 1 decent one, and 3 years of dogshit. These contracts to guys his age have worked out well exactly 0% of the time.  
Cool we are paying him 10 mil a year the last 2 seasons.

21 minutes ago, Helobious said:

How many years of dogshit are the Yankees going to get from Judge at $40M/yr?  His contract takes him through age 39, same as Altuve’s. 

• Like 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

Just now, TonyTexas said:

How many years of dogshit are the Yankees going to get from Judge at $40M/yr?  His contract takes him through age 39, same as Altuve’s. 

Judge has star power that brings people to the stadium. He’s been in the top 3 of jersey sales for the past 5 years, I don’t think Altuve has cracked the top 10 outside of one season. Judge’s contract is an investment that more than pays for itself. No one is coming to MMP to see a 38 year old Altuve and his .680 OPS play. They’ll come to see Judge run into a few homers at that age though. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Helobious said:

altuve to the yankees ….

48 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The best and 3rd best seasons of his career by wRC+ is somehow “a couple seasons of declining production.”

Never change.

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Lulz at Helo having to resort to jersey sales smack. 

That has a direct impact on ROI for the team for the contract. I don’t even get how you could argue that Altuvers deal is more team friendly than Judge’s when you account for revenue generated through merchandising, overall attention, etc.

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That has a direct impact on ROI for the team for the contract. I don’t even get how you could argue that Altuvers deal is more team friendly than Judge’s when you account for revenue generated through merchandising, overall attention, etc.

You have no earthly idea how much revenue Jose Altuve generates for the Astros.

• Like 1