MLB Hot Stove 2023/24

TonyTexas

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He couldn’t have. He also deferred more than half his salary. So he’s not even worth 700M. Look dude- baseball has a very very very clear way of valuation. We know when production is overpaid and we know when it’s underpaid. It’s incredibly likely he doesn’t hit as many WAR as dollars he collects. Like- really really likely he has leas than 75 or so WAR over the next 10 years. 

He could have, but since you are the preeminent message board decider of what a player is worth I am just not going to argue with you. It’s pointless to engage further with someone who ties WAR to what a team wants to pay. A team is free to pay whatever they want to whomever they want for however many years they want.

Not worth 70 million because he deferred payments. Honest to goodness that is comedy gold level stuff.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Does he really make that much off the field in the USA? I've seen one New Balance commercial and he has always seemed super private (which is absolutely his prerogative).

This contract is such a huge amount of money if I were Ohtani one of my first thoughts would be that I never have to be in a commercial again.

“I already have enough money” said no human being ever. 

20 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

He could have, but since you are the preeminent message board decider of what a player is worth I am just not going to argue with you. It’s pointless to engage further with someone who ties WAR to what a team wants to pay. A team is free to pay whatever they want to whomever they want for however many years they want.

Not worth 70 million because he deferred payments. Honest to goodness that is comedy gold level stuff.

You said production. We have a measure for that. 
present value of money has a real meaning. Seriously, you have no idea why you are talking about. And I think the dodgers should have done this deal. 

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Mlb needs a min payroll. This is ridiculous. 

IMG_7534.jpeg

Agree 1000%.  Teams like the As, Royals and Pirates only exist to suck luxury tax out of the league. It would also add value to cap space under the minimum, which would allow teams to capitalize further on down years by taking bad contracts from competitive teams to fill payroll. Teams like the Yankees could be shipping out Stanton and several prospects to the A's to clear cap space that the A's otherwise can't fill. It would help bad teams rebuild quicker and make the league more competitive. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Only money paid out for years the player is signed to actually play count towards AAV. So in theory if he had $100 million of his contract deferred to be paid out years 11-15 from now, that money would not count towards AAV. Maybe try learning about the sport before you post.

Bro, the infield fly rule is still confounding him. 

• Haha 2

For TonyTroll. 

When money in a contract is deferred, the competitive-balance tax number — the luxury tax — is discounted. With a source saying a “majority” of Ohtani’s contract is deferred, the discount could be significant. Typically, a CBT number is the average annual value of a deal — in this case $70 million. But depending on the size and length of the deferrals, Ohtani’s CBT number is likelier to wind up in the $40-50 million-a-year range, an enormous benefit for the Dodgers. 

Also, an infield popup with a runner on first ain't shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

Only money paid out for years the player is signed to actually play count towards AAV. So in theory if he had $100 million of his contract deferred to be paid out years 11-15 from now, that money would not count towards AAV. Maybe try learning about the sport before you post.

Says the guy who suddenly realized Manny Ramirez was really good at baseball.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/9/2023 at 2:51 PM, Helobious said:

Ok, I admit that I was wrong about his CBT hit being $70M/yr. But not as wrong as you thinking his AAV would be $2M/yr. So fuck off. 

On 12/9/2023 at 2:45 PM, TonyTexas said:

Rosenthal’s tweet above is dumb. Deferrals do nothing to ease the luxury tax hit. His AAV is $70M/yr. regardless 

On 12/9/2023 at 2:51 PM, Helobious said:

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

I was more correct than he was. “Deferrals do nothing to ease the luxury tax hit” is a comically stupid thing to believe.

I mean that's one way to look at it. Another way is that despite not knowing the rules he was only ~$24M/yr off on the cap hit while you were talking shit and were ~$44M/yr off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I mean that's one way to look at it. Another way is that despite not knowing the rules he was only ~$24M/yr off on the cap hit while you were talking shit and were ~$44M/yr off.

Slightly less wrong he brags.  Blowbious doing Blowbious things again 

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

Mike Axisa from CBS sports is probably their most well-respected baseball guy. He was on patreon doing a deep dive scouting breakdown on this guy a few weeks ago and is convinced that he’s absolutely going to suck.

{Checking Jung Hoo Lee’s MVP odds right now on DraftKings}

13 hours ago, Helobious said:

Mike Axisa from CBS sports is probably their most well-respected baseball guy. He was on patreon doing a deep dive scouting breakdown on this guy a few weeks ago and is convinced that he’s absolutely going to suck.

1.  $19M/year isn't a whole ton of money.  Mitch Haniger makes $19M/year.  Mike Conforto makes $18M/year.  Ian Happ makes $21M.  Brandon Nimmo makes $21M.  Carlos Rodon makes $28M.  No one thinks they're buying a superstar.

2.  I think he's going to be a lot like Arraez, with more defensive value.  He's not going to strike out much at all, but likely won't hit for power either.  Nimmo seems like a good comp.

14 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Lulz, you didn't like how I brought up 4 other outfielders and then Rodon?

It was a pretty shitty thing to do but what else can I expect. 

Also, lulz at your comps. All guys that are experienced MLB players with varying levels of past success. The giants just threw $133 million (can’t forget that posting fee) at a what appears to be a Quad-A talent with no experience in the majors. Bold strategy cotton.

On 12/13/2023 at 1:05 PM, Helobious said:

It was a pretty shitty thing to do but what else can I expect. 

Also, lulz at your comps. All guys that are experienced MLB players with varying levels of past success. The giants just threw $133 million (can’t forget that posting fee) at a what appears to be a Quad-A talent with no experience in the majors. Bold strategy cotton.

I’m looking forward to Helo’s justification when/if the Yankees throw 2,5X that at  a player who also has no major league experience.