Fuck TSA

Bevo

TSA held us up over an hour going through medical bags. We couldn't get in touch with the gate and the flight closed the doors without us. As far as I know, there is no punishment, compensation, or recourse to TSA fucking us over. It will cost us over $10,000 in non-recoverable losses.

31 minutes ago, slorch said:

Everyone knows those scissors for the gauze tape are lethal weapons. 

They also ran a heart rate monitor through 4 times. Hard to tell if the guy was purposely being a dick or was just that dumb. But considering that he was wasting time joking with his colleagues, I'm going with dick.

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

TSA held us up over an hour going through medical bags. We couldn't get in touch with the gate and the flight closed the doors without us. As far as I know, there is no punishment, compensation, or recourse to TSA fucking us over. It will cost us over $10,000 in non-recoverable losses.

Why did everyone stay behind instead of just whose bag they were going through? Seems like a bad call on your part. 

33 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Damn, lots of TSA lovers on this site.

I mean it sounds like you lost a shitload of money because of shithead TSA because you missed your flights and couldn’t get rebooked or something? If you have a medical bag you should have for sure prepped for TSA anal cavity search. I still don’t understand how you are out 10 grand over one persons bag and that single person not making the flight - also how the fuck could you not just send someone to the gate? This just reeks of general incompetence in travel and not TSA fucking you up. 

That sounds incredibly frustrating and I empathize with the annoyance at tsa folks taking their sweet ass time dealing with something like this (assuming an hour is accurate that is ridiculous) but losing $10k worth of whatever due to a delay in making it to your gate sounds like some bad risk management?

Edited by Celery Man

That sounds incredibly frustrating and I empathize with the annoyance at tsa folks taking their sweet ass time dealing with something like this (assuming an hour is accurate that is ridiculous) but losing $10k worth of whatever due to a delay in making it to your gate sounds like some bad risk management?
Agree it's bad RMA but sometimes clients can be demanding. So maybe it's $10k in lost opportunity cost with a client?

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I mean it sounds like you lost a shitload of money because of shithead TSA because you missed your flights and couldn’t get rebooked or something? If you have a medical bag you should have for sure prepped for TSA anal cavity search. I still don’t understand how you are out 10 grand over one persons bag and that single person not making the flight - also how the fuck could you not just send someone to the gate? This just reeks of general incompetence in travel and not TSA fucking you up. 

Well, I was hoping to hear other TSA horror stories, but it's shaggy, so I should have known better. What else can I do besides vent, though? Most of the cost is anesthesiology and less-essential personnel. Another portion is patients who can't be rescheduled for various reasons. Anesthesiology may end up being recoverable but they would be under no obligation. Just totally unacceptable for TSA to go through every medical instrument and question things like forceps - "What's this used for?" - Bend over and I'll show you, motherfucker.

We need to kick Iowa State's ass. I can't deal with last minute shit, tonight. I'm just not in the mood.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Well, I was hoping to hear other TSA horror stories, but it's shaggy, so I should have known better. What else can I do besides vent, though? Most of the cost is anesthesiology and less-essential personnel. Another portion is patients who can't be rescheduled for various reasons. Anesthesiology may end up being recoverable but they would be under no obligation. Just totally unacceptable for TSA to go through every medical instrument and question things like forceps - "What's this used for?" - Bend over and I'll show you, motherfucker.

We need to kick Iowa State's ass. I can't deal with last minute shit, tonight. I'm just not in the mood.

Hannah Reaction GIF by HannahWitton

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bevo said:

We couldn't get in touch with the gate and the flight closed the doors without us.

They likely wouldn’t have fucked over the other 150 passengers to hold the flight for you anyway.  It happens but usually only when it’s a lot more than one party.  

Damn, lots of TSA lovers on this site.

No. We just have very low expectations. I'm sorry that happened to you. I imagine it happens frequently to people who don't check bags containing specialized instruments and electronics. And it's not like you want that stuff thrown around by baggage handlers. I've sat in many a window seat watching throwers abuse luggage at the plane at the neighboring gate.

My wife insists on traveling with some specialty mixers this week - “Hot Ruby” from Lubbock, and she’s packing that in bubble wrap and putting it in a checked bag with her coat and shoes. So it's a potential shitshow.

My worst TSA story was them confiscating my Leatherman’s tool that I was dumb enough to leave in my backpack.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

No. We just have very low expectations. I'm sorry that happened to you. I imagine it happens frequently to people who don't check bags containing specialized instruments and electronics. And it's not like you want that stuff thrown around by baggage handlers. I've sat in many a window seat watching throwers abuse luggage at the plane at the neighboring gate.

My wife insists on traveling with some specialty mixers this week - “Hot Ruby” from Lubbock, and she’s packing that in bubble wrap and putting it in a checked bag with her coat and shoes. So it's a potential shitshow.

My worst TSA story was them confiscating my Leatherman’s tool that I was dumb enough to leave in my backpack.

You could probably get it back here.

State Surplus Property — Texas Facilities Commission

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

I do TSA pre check and FRiday my backpack got randomly screened. 2 laptops, an Ipad, and my old ass TI calculator.  Dpn't fuck with that calculator!  Took about 5 minutes and it felt more like they were just needing something to do.

CSB- when he pulled my ipad out, the screen lock photo came up which is a night time pic of an F/18 Hornet on the deck of a carrier that my son took.

"Where's that from?"

"My son took the photo, and I love the contrast with the night sky and the lights of the plane.  It's also a good background for aps"

" That's cool I was in before I had this job, but no carriers.  I was on a sub."

"I have a cousin that is a retired torpedoman, (was thinking: what's your handle on Surly.")

I then walked off laughing about Surly posters in the Navy.  I knew it wasn't Blacklab...LOL.  That was the first random audit/ check of my bags since I went TSA pre.  Wasn't too painful, but no medical instruments were in my stuff either.

Edited by slorch

18 hours ago, Bevo said:

No one understands your story.  

On 11/18/2023 at 4:25 PM, Bevo said:

Just totally unacceptable for TSA to go through every medical instrument and question things like forceps

Wait. You tried to carry a fully loaded medical bag on? And you expected TSA to blindly let it through?? This is completely on you.

Pre 911 I carried tool sets and calipers/measurement equipment on every time. Post 911 I check all that shit in, after getting questioned about calipers one too many times.

46 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

Wait. You tried to carry a fully loaded medical bag on? And you expected TSA to blindly let it through?? This is completely on you.

Pre 911 I carried tool sets and calipers/measurement equipment on every time. Post 911 I check all that shit in, after getting questioned about calipers one too many times.

We’ve only done it 40 times or so and this was the first time we have had a problem.