Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

14 hours ago, morehornsepower said:

I know this isn't exactly a 'hot take', but it seems a bit premature to declare "Ferrari is back!" when Max was driving on 3 wheels and was out of the race in 3 laps.  I like Checo, but comparing a team result to Checo just isn't the same as comparing to Max.

(VABuckeye, not directed at you - I know you were just sharing info!)

Yeah, I think it's more a Ferrari is separating itself from the rest of the pack rather than oh boy, Ferrari is as good as RBR.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Looks like this stuff might go back a ways. I had not seen these before.

Yeah re: Coulthard apparently he said back in 2003 that he expected Alonso to brake something like 10 meters later but the stewards reviewed the telemetry and found nothing to back that up. And even back then people were talking about how this stuff had been around for a long time, going back to Blundell-Barrichello 1995, Mansell-Senna 1992, etc. Yeah it definitely goes back a ways, which is what I've been saying, but not just for Alonso by a long shot. Stuff like this has been happening for much longer than I've been watching F1. These moves to throw people off are and were so common that Doornbos said he had no problem with Alonso's move.

In other news, this article is a couple days old, but I only just saw it. Damon Hill has about as heavy of a British bias as you'll ever see, and has never seemed to care much for Fernando, but ...

‘Dastardly tricks’ v ‘racing’ – Damon Hill’s verdict on controversial Fernando Alonso penalty https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/damon-hill-gives-his-verdict-on-fernando-alonsos-penalty-at-the-australian-grand-prix/

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, wood said:

Adrian Newey is coveted by Aston Martin and Ferrari, Mercedes seems less interested.

The team who can’t figure out a ground effect car to save their ever loving lives isn’t that interested in Newey. LMAO

Merc is so bloated and lost. They’ve been fading hard ever since they lost their massive engine advantage and it’s not getting any better. Their strategy team tends to be slow to react and too conservative. Their pit stops have been consistently slow for years, and they obviously have huge issues with car design and development.

If there’s one team willing to absolutely break the bank on Newey, it should absolutely be Merc. Them not being that interested in him just shows they’re still lost and not even close to figuring things out. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The team who can’t figure out a ground effect car to save their ever loving lives isn’t that interested in Newey. LMAO

Merc is so bloated and lost. They’ve been fading hard ever since they lost their massive engine advantage and it’s not getting any better. Their strategy team tends to be slow to react and too conservative. Their pit stops have been consistently slow for years, and they obviously have huge issues with car design and development.

If there’s one team willing to absolutely break the bank on Newey, it should absolutely be Merc. Them not being that interested in him just shows they’re still lost and not even close to figuring things out. 

All of this, and yeah I thought that bold bit was pretty funny too.

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Adrian Newey to Ferrari talk not going away...

... in my mind

They've been chasing him for a long time, but apparently Newey has said a big factor in turning them down is that he didn't want to be so far from his current wife, because when he worked in IndyCar the long distance was a major factor in his marriage back then breaking up. I wonder if that's still a concern or not.

Edited by wood

29 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Merc already offered Newey a large sum of money last year and he already turned them down.

Sure but things at Red Bull were very different a year ago. If they’re not doing everything they can right now, it’s a huge mistake. 

15 minutes ago, wood said:

They've been chasing him for a long time, but apparently Newey has said a big factor in turning them down is that he didn't want to be so far from his current wife, because when he worked in IndyCar the long distance was a major factor in his marriage back then breaking up. I wonder if that's still a concern or not.

Speaking of, Indycar is in dire need of a new car. Can they borrow Newey for 6 months? Maybe on his off time, like when he designed the Valkyrie.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

full thread, very strange situation

image.thumb.png.8497b20f1de1bfdffa96c962cd01a0ac.png

edit: Sanchez quotes/info https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/68713954

The change was precipitated because Sanchez did not feel stretched in his new role because its remit was smaller than he expected when he agreed to join.

His being allowed to leave is a recognition by McLaren that it was not working and was not going to work.

+

Sanchez said: "I am grateful for the opportunity to have been a part of this team.

"While the role we envisioned and had agreed to was not aligned with the reality of the position I found, I leave with respect for the leadership, admiration for the dedication of my colleagues, and appreciation for the openness and honesty in which we discussed and arrived at this decision."

Edited by NoName

Ok, so F1TV is $85 annual or $11 a month. 

After missing Australia, and hearing that Japan will be in the rain, I'm jonesing. Bad.

But pay $85 for the full year when we're already three races in? Pffft. Instead, I think I've found a way to save with monthly sign ups.

Month 1 (April 6 - May 5)
Japan, China, Miami

Month 2 (May 19 - June 19)
Emilia Romagna, Monaco, Canada

Skip Spanish Grand Prix (not a big fan anyway)

Month 3 (June 30 - July 30)
Austria, British, Hungarian, Belgian

Month 4 (Aug 25 - Sep 24)
Dutch, Italian, Azerbaijan, Singapore)

US and Mexico City over the air

Month 5 (November 3 - December 3)
Brazil, Las Vegas, Qatar

Skip Abu Dhabi

That's $55 for the season, and I think I might have an issue that I would figure all this out.

52 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Ok, so F1TV is $85 annual or $11 a month. 

After missing Australia, and hearing that Japan will be in the rain, I'm jonesing. Bad.

But pay $85 for the full year when we're already three races in? Pffft. Instead, I think I've found a way to save with monthly sign ups.

Month 1 (April 6 - May 5)
Japan, China, Miami

Month 2 (May 19 - June 19)
Emilia Romagna, Monaco, Canada

Skip Spanish Grand Prix (not a big fan anyway)

Month 3 (June 30 - July 30)
Austria, British, Hungarian, Belgian

Month 4 (Aug 25 - Sep 24)
Dutch, Italian, Azerbaijan, Singapore)

US and Mexico City over the air

Month 5 (November 3 - December 3)
Brazil, Las Vegas, Qatar

Skip Abu Dhabi

That's $55 for the season, and I think I might have an issue that I would figure all this out.

are you using multivewer?

https://multiviewer.app/

5 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

nsvw3o51ihsc1.jpg

Nice touch from Charles. Forza, Jules. 

My two darkest days in Formula 1 are the day he crashed and the day he died. 

I wasn’t following F1 when that happened, but the story about Charles losing Jules and his father within a two year span is what first made me root for Charles. It’s crazy to think a driver died under safety car conditions in a 2014 race. It’s truly inexcusable. 

Also wild to think that if not for that accident, Charles and Jules could have driven together for Ferrari. 

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Ooff. Boring ass day 1. 

P2 was a complete waste of time. I’m a sadist so i will watch every minute, but F1 has been on a bad multi year run of just not being entertaining. 

Yeah, getting close to early aughts vibes for me

Posted (edited)

TP’s typically cover a bit for drivers. This statement, though… “didn’t know where he was on track”? Sargent may not make it to Miami. 

Edited by Dutch

TP’s typically cover a bit for drivers. This statement, though… “didn’t know where he was on track”? Sargent may not make it to Miami. 

Shit, there is already a rumor that Antonelli may replace him starting in Monza (Antonelli turns 18 the week before that, and that is the age for acquiring a Super License now).

Shit, there is already a rumor that Antonelli may replace him starting in Monza (Antonelli turns 18 the week before that, and that is the age for acquiring a Super License now).

Yeah, it seems like there’s a lot of smoke on this. I have a hard time believing it, though. I know Antonelli has had an extremely successful junior career, but he was below F3 last year and then skipped to F2 this year. So far, he hasn’t lit the world on fire in F2, which is fine for his age and lack of experience, but throwing him into an F1 car when he hasn’t even adjusted to F2 yet seems like a bad idea. It sounds like Toto is leaning toward putting Antonelli in the Merc next year (probably because Toto’s given up on this reg set and wants to prep Antonelli for 26), so I guess that could be why they’re looking to rush him into Williams this year to see how he progresses. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

image.thumb.png.d385dd65098a51d4c8e15f165d4ef520.png

Canadian Lol GIF

And Alonso, the other guy they lost in that monumental fuckup, has 222. So it's 347 for Alonso and Piastri to 120 for Alpine.

But hey, they locked up their man for 4 more years.  Don't care. Got Ocon!

I've heard that the current leadership is not a fan of that idiotic move, to put it in the nicest possible terms. Piastri and Alonso probably couldn't be happier about how it worked out though.

Edited by wood

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952ykx04y7n02yplae08wz

In six races, Antonelli has yet to even podium in F2. His best finish is P4. His average position in the 5 races he's finished is P8. 

F1 circuits all over the world are littered with the shattered hopes and broken dreams of 'can't miss prospect',  'next big thing' young drivers. Antonelli may indeed end up being one of the greats, and I hope he does, but the odds are against that. It absolutely could happen, but even if it does, he likely still needs a bit of seasoning before jumping up to F1 with only 6 F2 races under his belt. Hell, before Sargeant came up, my guy said he needed more seasoning before going to F1, and it turned out he was right. Seems like something they should take into consideration this time.

But, outside of that, it is very early and the kid is 17 and skipped F3 entirely. It is not unlike measuring hockey or baseball prospects in their league with relative age factored in.

The kid could be a Connor Bedard or a Mike Trout, or he could be one of hundreds of prospects that don’t live up to their hype. We will just have to wait and see.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

They don’t want to lose him like they did Max. So even if it doesn’t work out, it sounds like it may be something they are willing to risk.

They don't need to bring him up to F1 yet to keep him as a Mercedes driver. If he truly is another Max or anything close to that, they risk ruining him and breaking his confidence by bringing him up too early, a la Sargeant and a million other athletes that were rushed to the top level too quickly.

19 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

But, outside of that, it is very early and the kid is 17 and skipped F3 entirely. It is not unlike measuring hockey or baseball prospects in their league with relative age factored in.

The kid could be a Connor Bedard or a Mike Trout, or he could be one of hundreds of prospects that don’t live up to their hype. We will just have to wait and see.

Yep, we'll see. But the guys who follow F2 closely say they've seen nothing yet to indicate he's even adjusted to F2, like Burt said.  A great many of those prospects don't live up to the hype simply because they're mishandled.

Edited by wood

They don’t need to bring him up to F1 yet to keep him as a Mercedes F1 driver.

Maybe not (I don’t know his contract situation), but that is exactly how they lost Max in the first place, since Red Bull offered to put a 17 year old Max in a Toro Rosso (after skipping F2).

They obviously know it’s a risk.

4 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Maybe not (I don’t know his contract situation), but that is exactly how they lost Max in the first place, since Red Bull offered to put a 17 year old Max in a Toro Rosso (after skipping F2).

They obviously know it’s a risk.

What I was told is that he's contracted through 2027 or '28. So he's locked up unless someone tries to steal/moneywhip him, and nobody's going to be buying him out of his contract if he’s not lighting up F2.

Re: Silly season, this article says prety much what I've been thinking.

https://formu1a.uno/it/wolff-accelera-la-preparazione-di-antonelli-test-in-austria-poi-imola/

- Everyone interested (Horner, Wolff, Alonso, Sainz) expects Verstappen to stay at Red Bull.

- Alonso is not interested in Mercedes as he believe Aston Martin is a better team. His intention is renewing with AM but he's taking a bit of time to see how the situation at Red Bull evolves.

- Wolff is dreaming about Verstappen but he's also accelerating Antonelli's F1 development. He's gonna have multiple F1 test sessions this year.

- Sainz is having talks with Mercedes.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, wood said:

Re: Silly season, this article says prety much what I've been thinking.

https://formu1a.uno/it/wolff-accelera-la-preparazione-di-antonelli-test-in-austria-poi-imola/

- Everyone interested (Horner, Wolff, Alonso, Sainz) expects Verstappen to stay at Red Bull.

- Alonso is not interested in Mercedes as he believe Aston Martin is a better team. His intention is renewing with AM but he's taking a bit of time to see how the situation at Red Bull evolves.

- Wolff is dreaming about Verstappen but he's also accelerating Antonelli's F1 development. He's gonna have multiple F1 test sessions this year.

- Sainz is having talks with Mercedes.

The funniest part about Antonelli's F1 test coming up is they are going to put him in the 2021 car.  Toto doesn't want him to drive a shitbox.

• Haha 2

Just now watching FP1.  No way Williams can keep Sageant, regardless of who they bring in.  I could take that seat and cost them less money in repairs.  

Yeah but could you also consistently come in last place? Yeah I guess so.

Is there any actual smoke to Vettel un-retiring and driving a merc or is that just clickbait?

So, assuming for the sake of argument that contract terms are the same ($$, years, etc), would Sainz be better off at MB or Red Bull?  I'd argue MB.  He's in a slower car but being Max's teammate has broken more than one driver.  That's the toughest seat in F1 right now, IMO.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

So, assuming for the sake of argument that contract terms are the same ($$, years, etc), would Sainz be better off at MB or Red Bull?  I'd argue MB.  He's in a slower car but being Max's teammate has broken more than one driver.  That's the toughest seat in F1 right now, IMO.

Depends on whether RBR can build the next PU and whether MB can get their heads around building a ground-effect car. Both are among the reasons I think Alonso likely  stays put at AM. Oh, and if he stays at AM, Alonso will also get a Honda PU.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2