Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

1 hour ago, wood said:

La Gazzetta dello Sport is reporting Sainz to Mercedes on a 1+1 deal.  https://www.gazzetta.it/Formula-1/12-04-2024/carlos-sainz-va-alla-mercedes-f1.shtml

Will Buxton (i know) said something recently on a podcast that made sense to me which was why drop Antonelli in Williams for example to learn F1, the team, etc only to drop him into the MB seat in another year where he has to learn the team, etc a second time. if you are bailing on 25 (and at this point they are closer to last than they are the WDC) why not just take the leap?

Edited by NoName

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

Will Buxton (i know) said something recently on a podcast that made sense to me which was why drop Antonelli in Williams for example to learn F1, the team, etc only to drop him into the MB seat in another year where he has to learn the team, etc a second time. if you are bailing on 25 (and at this point they are closer to last than they are the WDC) why not just take the leap?

There's some logic to that. To me though, the risk would be in potentially crushing the confidence of a guy who could be great some day if handled correctly but hasn't even found his way in F2 yet after skipping F3. Putting him in a Merc seat next year seems too fast imho, but who knows.

ETA: For some time,  people have thought that Sainz is headed to Audi in 2026. If so, he needs a ride for 2025. 1 year at Merc would be perfect for him and would allow Merc to let Ant cook a little more.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

Because Antonelli’s nowhere near ready, and having him be absolutely murdered by his teammate probably won’t be all that helpful for his development. Leclerc had one of the best rookie seasons in recent memory, scoring 39 points in the 2nd or 3rd slowest car. He won F3 and F2 going into F1 and it took him about 2/3 of the season to adjust. He scored 13 points in 14 races, and then scored 26 points over his final 7 races. 

If you put Antonelli in a Merc and he takes that long or likely longer to adjust, then he could be losing to George by over 100-150 points and things could be pretty rough for him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Because Antonelli’s nowhere near ready, and having him be absolutely murdered by his teammate probably won’t be all that helpful for his development. Leclerc had one of the best rookie seasons in recent memory, scoring 39 points in the 2nd or 3rd slowest car. He won F3 and F2 going into F1 and it took him about 2/3 of the season to adjust. He scored 13 points in 14 races, and then scored 26 points over his final 7 races. 

If you put Antonelli in a Merc and he takes that long or likely longer to adjust, then he could be losing to George by over 100-150 points and things could be pretty rough for him. 

Yeah, just because Max could handle F1 at age 17-18 doesn't mean others can.

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, just because Max could handle F1 at age 17-18 doesn't mean others can.

Yeah my kid and I were just saying the same thing. Lewis, Alonso, and Max did it very young, but not many others. A whole lot more have come up too soon and flamed out spectacularly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, texas08 said:

Apparently checo out at Red Bull, no idea how true that is??

prolly click bait 

With Sainz off the board, I don't know who they would put in that seat.  Yuki's head would explode racing as Max's #2 and Danny just looks done.  Not gonna give it to Lawson.  Albon has said he doesn't want it.  Bottas to RB?

5 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Looks like two starburst got stuck together after a night of bad decisions.

Nah, man. I love it. You should see it irl. Lots of other amazing liveries in Moto GP, 2, & 3, too.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 7:10 PM, dieucla98 said:

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Looks like two starburst got stuck together after a night of bad decisions.

yeah, why have that when we can things that are black and silver, or black and green, or black and neon green, or black and white with some red sprinkled in or black and blue with some red/silver sprinkled in

liveries in F1 right now are pretty bad.

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

yeah, why have that when we can things that are black and silver, or black and green, or black and neon green, or black and white with some red sprinkled in or black and blue with some red/silver sprinkled in

liveries in F1 right now are pretty bad.

I wasn't defending F1 liveries.

Welp. Looks like Shanghai channeled their inner Bobby Epstein and found a new, different way to cheap out on the track surface.

The story behind Shanghai's 'painted' F1 track surprise: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/the-story-behind-shanghais-painted-f1-track-surprise/10600016/

They do this nonsense on our neighborhood streets here in Austin. It only lasts a couple of years and wears through even with that limited amount of very slow-speed, residential traffic. Imagine what it it'll do on a racetrack.

But research by Motorsport.com has uncovered that while the track looks like it has been painted, what has happened is actually a bitumen surface treatment that is commonly used on roads in the United States and Asia.

Bitumen is applied in fluid form to the track surface to help bind with the surface of the existing circuit. The idea is that it helps eliminate dust, improves waterproofing and also prevent disintegration of the track.
It is understood that this work was done in Shanghai last year, and the varied colouring around the track is the result of this treatment having been worn away from track running that has taken place since.
The manner of the treatment means it will likely further be worn away over the F1 weekend, which could open the door to varied levels of grip around different parts of the track.

If it's as durable as the crappy street surface in front of my house that's constantly littered with loose, tiny rocks that have worn off, then yeah, the track will wear away and grip levels will vary during the weekend. Not as bad as COTA's varying grip levels throughout the track, I'm guessing, but probably still significant.  But as Kimi says, it's the same for everyone, so wewillsee.

Edited by wood

Mario says there's been one meeting with FOM and there will be another during the Miami GP weekend.

https://www.nbcsports.com/motor-sports/news/mario-andretti-offended-by-formula-ones-treatment-of-michael-andrettis-bid

In other news ... Ted has a theory that the fires are happening so easily because there's peat in the soil. I doubt it's that complex, but who knows. It's an interesting idea, and reminds me of something that happens here every year around this time with the brown stuff falling out of the oak trees. Dead oak blossoms? I dunno.  I'm just an unfrozen caveman firefighter. Sometimes when it's particularly bad and the conditions are right, it can spontaneously combust, like a mulch pile would, because of the heat built up internally as it decomposes. Sometimes we have 50 grass fires because of it in just a day. Sometimes it even causes structure fires when it collected on rooftops. It's crazy. /csb

Edited by wood

11 minutes ago, wood said:

Mario says there's been one meeting with FOM and there will be another during the Miami GP weekend.

https://www.nbcsports.com/motor-sports/news/mario-andretti-offended-by-formula-ones-treatment-of-michael-andrettis-bid

In other news ... Ted has a theory that the fires are happening so easily because there's peat in the soil. I doubt it's that complex, but who knows. It's an interesting idea, and reminds me of something that happens here every year around this time with the brown stuff falling out of the oak trees. Dead oak blossoms? I dunno.  I'm just an unfrozen caveman firefighter. Sometimes when it's particularly bad and the conditions are right, it can spontaneously combust, like a mulch pile would, because of the heat given off internally as it breaks down. Sometimes we have 50 grass fires because of it in just a day. Sometimes it even causes structure fires when it collected on rooftops. It's crazy.

Pretty sure it’s just Bottas flicking out his dead soldiers. Only you can prevent forest fires, Valterri. 

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Well done for Perez.  That was just a beating watching them not get around Alonso. The RB, Ferraris and McLarens might have gotten much more interesting if they had gotten around Alonso earlier. Oh well.

Yeah over on Autosport people are trashing Alonso for making it too hard for those guys to pass. WTF? I thought we were racing here, lol. 

• Haha 1

Alonso given a 10s penalty for racing, in a race he finished last in. This 'sport' is off the rails. Meanwhile, Sainz is not penalized for completely ignoring the apex en route to also causing a collision. It's just bizarre.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1